anabolic frolic
Administrator

Photos: 125  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 5 View Users Journal
Zurich Street Parade Snatches Berlin's Party Crown

Zurich Street Parade Snatches Berlin's Party Crown
Sat Aug 9, 3:22 PM ET

By Josiane Kremer

ZURICH (Reuters) - Nearly a million scantily-clad ravers thronged the streets of Switzerland's largest city on Saturday, dancing in sweltering heat to the heavy beat of the summer's biggest techno-music street party.

The Street Parade slogan "Let the sun shine" was borne out with temperatures well above 86 Fahrenheit.

Despite crushing heat, organizers said the parade drew some 900,000 revellers, defying Switzerland's image as a conservative nation and snatching the party crown from Berlin's Love Parade which counted around half a million techno fans in July.

Organizers put up makeshift showers in the center of Zurich and many ravers took a refreshing dive in the lake.

The sweet smell of marijuana hung in the air as scores of men and women in bright-colored clothes danced to electronic music on crammed "Love Mobiles," spraying water on the crowds.

For Markus Fleischli, 26, wearing a glittering home-made Egyptian costume, Street Parade day is the best day of the year.

"For me this day is like a wedding for a woman. In September I already look forward to next year," he said, his eyes hidden behind reflecting sunglasses. This was his sixth Street Parade.

A "sunflower family" -- Caroline, Gerry and little Valentina Rosamila -- were an attraction in their own right, as people sought to have their picture taken with the costumed trio.

"Every year my husband comes up with a different idea," said the 30-year old mother of baby Valentina, who was sleeping peacefully in her push-chair despite the distant thump of music.

"We do pay attention and stay away from the noise," said Caroline, who was covered in yellow body paint and large cotton sunflower petals.

The heat did not seem to bother the ravers, many of whom remembered the rain and cold of last year's Street Parade.

"So far the heat has not had any major impact," a police spokesman said. Around 300 people were treated for minor injuries and heat-related problems, he said.

The fire brigade had erected large water sprinklers and the organizers distributed free sunblock.

The Street Parade, held in Zurich every year since 1991, draws around half its crowd from abroad and ends in hundreds of rave parties that continue until dawn.
anabolic frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2003, 02:57 PM   #2
slipknot21swim
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to slipknot21swim Send a message via Yahoo to slipknot21swim
fun i dont know but it sounds like berlins love parade is slowly losing its popularity and impact. but thats just me.
Old August 13th, 2003, 11:20 AM   #3
Brandon
Hullaboarder

I was in Zurich about two weeks before the street parade and annual Energy party in 1994, and I remember the flyer for the event, it was a huge full colour booklet with tons of information about the street parade and the coinciding event, sick DJ lineups, half a page for all the corporate sponsors, etc. I remember wondering if we'd ever see something like that in Canada.

It's cool to see that it's still running.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2004, 01:58 PM   #4
brooklynhype
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 21 View Users Journal
I wish someone would do something like that in Toronto (*HINT*HINT*)
-Blairesy
Old April 7th, 2004, 02:44 AM   #5
Nubbie
Hullaboarder

Photos: 2  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to Nubbie Send a message via MSN to Nubbie
^^^
Good luck with that. You'd have a better time trying to pull that together in Montreal.
Toronto's too anti everything and the kitchen sink for it to really even consider something like that.

It'd be nice though...
there's always the teknival... ;]
Nubbie is offline   Reply With Quote