The HullaBoard  

Go Back   The HullaBoard > Hullabaloo Events > Archives (read-only) > Enchanted
User Name
Password
Home Forum Gallery Arcade Journals FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old October 25th, 2003, 01:05 PM   #1
Cheshipillar
Hullaboarder

Question Getting OVer the Canadian/US boarder...?

hey does anyone know what the laws are for getting into canada..like do you have to be 18? Im in michigan and only 17 and i think the last time i was in canada was with my parents, so thats differnt. wondering if anyone had any info on that...cuz i better be able to go to hulla!!!!!!!!!

~*~Live long, love, love life and be free~LBDAS~*~

Visions and imaginations, i'm in a world full of hellucinations, closing my eyes brings temptations, i gotta find me a way to protect my mind~PK
Old October 25th, 2003, 02:16 PM   #2
Seizure
Hullaboarder

Photos: 32  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 12 View Users Journal
Send a message via ICQ to Seizure Send a message via MSN to Seizure Send a message via Yahoo to Seizure
Getting over the Canada/US border............................................................ I like to mumble things about being a terrorist... loud enough for the American security people to overhear me... and play mind games with them... pretending to be a terrorist without physically admitting to being one.... and then they let me pass for being a 'crazy person'... what if I was REALLY a terrorist? They'd just let me in for being crazy? *shakes head*
Old October 25th, 2003, 02:26 PM   #3
Cheshipillar
Hullaboarder

well...thanks for that interesting insight..hehe anybody else?
Old October 25th, 2003, 02:32 PM   #4
Seizure
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Seizure Send a message via MSN to Seizure Send a message via Yahoo to Seizure
some people take passports with them... others dont need squat if you're just going for a night and then returning
Old October 25th, 2003, 02:41 PM   #5
Cheshipillar
Hullaboarder

so age isn't a factor. like...you dont have to be 18?
Old October 25th, 2003, 02:46 PM   #6
Seizure
Hullaboarder

I know a few 16/17 year olds that come from Michigan to party.. I dunno what they need at the border station if anything... but they get across the border perfectly fine
Old October 25th, 2003, 04:03 PM   #7
dianejapa
Friendship Crew

Photos: 12  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to dianejapa Send a message via AIM to dianejapa
i've gone with people who are under 18 and they didn't give us any problem, i've heard from some people that it's helped them in the past to have a note from your parents (or a forged note) just in case they do say something, you can show them your parents know that youre going to canada, but they shouldn't give you any problem with that... teh only thing you might have a problem with is things like binkies and vicks... tehy searched our car once and found our candy an some vicks and stuff like that and tehy searched us some more, and hten tehy planted drugs on us to try and get us to fess up to the otehr drugs we had, and were like yelling at us, took us separatly into the scary interrogation room. but we had nothing, so after an hour or so tehy told us they planted the stuff so they let us go... it worked out in the long run, but it was a pain in the ass and we were uber late for the party. so my advice i guess for getting over the border, is just take every precaution to make sure you don't look suspicious in anyway
Old October 25th, 2003, 04:16 PM   #8
Seizure
Hullaboarder

I look suspiciously terroristic everytime and they just look the other way
Old October 25th, 2003, 06:30 PM   #9
Cheshipillar
Hullaboarder

wow, thats a bit of a sucky experience...anywho, i dind't think i'd have much of a problem, but i just thought i'd ask in case..dont wanna get to the boarder and be sent home or somthing blah...thanks PLUR
Old October 25th, 2003, 10:58 PM   #10
pointy_sticks
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to pointy_sticks Send a message via AIM to pointy_sticks Send a message via Yahoo to pointy_sticks
If you're under 18 you're required by law to have written permission from your parents to leave the country. That's not to say that they always enforce that, but it's better safe than sorry. If you don't have a note, they might call your house to make sure that you have permission.

There's a huge thread about this somewhere.
Old October 25th, 2003, 11:14 PM   #11
candykates
Hullaboarder

Photos: 18  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to candykates Send a message via MSN to candykates Send a message via Yahoo to candykates
1) dress "normal" - regular jeans/pants and a sweater or tee shirt thats not at all cartoony or raver related.

2) dont play any music while at the border. turn the radio to OFF.

3) have a clean car. put all bags and suitcases in the trunk or back seat very neatly. hide all raver stuff. very very well. have NO candy/stuffed animals/cartoon-y related stuff of any kind out in the open. conceal that stuff very well.

4) no smoking. put the cigarettes out a mile before you hit the border. and no marijuana at all for obvious reasons.

5) have your birth certificate/passport/drivers liscense or whatever else you need (note from parents if under 18) out and in plain view, ready to be handed over upon request/demand.

6) be sober and alert. answer all questions quickly and seriously.
absolutly NO joking. dont laugh or make light of anything.

7) have a story as to where you are going and why all ready. rehearse your story but do not make it sound fake when asked. never ever say youre going to a rave or a party. dont even say youre going to a concert.

8) lastly, do NOT take anything illegal with you. its not worth risking your life over.

this has always worked for louie and myself. we've never been searched or even questioned. sometimes they dont even take our info, they just ask where were going and why. we do however have a great alibi - my parents live in MI and we have to go thru canada from Nh to get there. luckily thats true so we can proove it if necessary. also, something thats really helpful is going over the border in the middle of the night- theres usually only 1 person on attendance at the border, so they are usually pretty leniant with cars cause you're the only one.

its all common sense really. just dont act shady and you'll be fine.

tell me, am i right to think that there could be nothing better...?
Old October 26th, 2003, 12:22 AM   #12
pointy_sticks
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to pointy_sticks Send a message via AIM to pointy_sticks Send a message via Yahoo to pointy_sticks
Quote:
Originally posted by candykates
7) have a story as to where you are going and why all ready. rehearse your story but do not make it sound fake when asked. never ever say youre going to a rave or a party. dont even say youre going to a concert.

Actually, we've always been successful just telling them that we're going to a concert at the Opera House... most of the time they've heard of the place, so it sounds normal to them. If they ask who you're seeing, tell them the name of the headliner, if they ask what sort of music, claim it's a rock band or do what enD does and tell them it's "the European pop sensation".
Old October 26th, 2003, 01:27 PM   #13
HappyHead
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to HappyHead
European pop sensation?! hahahaha.

brilliant.
Old October 26th, 2003, 01:36 PM   #14
JaMGiRL
Hullaboarder

Send a message via MSN to JaMGiRL
Wow I'm so glad that I never have to worry about any of this stuff! My two hour drive from London doesn't seem so bad anymore

rock.you.softly/rock.me.steady

PR ~ jamgirl
Old October 26th, 2003, 04:46 PM   #15
pointy_sticks
Hullaboarder

BTW I see you're coming from Michigan... cross at Port Huron/Sarnia, they rarely even check ID.
Old October 26th, 2003, 05:15 PM   #16
Cheshipillar
Hullaboarder

THanks candykates and everyone else for the tips. i was just curious if they had under 18 laws. doesn't sound like it'll be a problem. oh, and if there is another thread all about this elsewhere..sorry i must have missed it, but i guess this does reate to enchanted thanks PLUR
Old October 27th, 2003, 01:31 AM   #17
Seizure
Hullaboarder

9) dont have your car filled with guns and other weapons of mass destruction!!!!!
Old October 27th, 2003, 02:41 AM   #18
Phlux
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Phlux

Last edited by Phlux : October 27th, 2003 at 02:46 AM.
Old October 27th, 2003, 06:33 AM   #19
candykates
Hullaboarder

Photos: 18  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to candykates Send a message via MSN to candykates Send a message via Yahoo to candykates
jen is right - port huron is a great place to enter canada- the detroit border is much more uptight. (gee i wonder why?)
Old October 27th, 2003, 02:07 PM   #20
kandijunglegrrl
Hullaboarder

Photos: 13  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 2 View Users Journal
Send a message via AIM to kandijunglegrrl Send a message via Yahoo to kandijunglegrrl
i crossed the border at detroit 6 times in a week (tunnel) and only 2x did they ask for id (the 2nd was when i was coming home with commercial goods for work)
getting INTO canada from detroit is easy like whut

as long as you look like an uptown soccer family haha
Old October 27th, 2003, 06:10 PM   #21
CareSieB
Hullaboarder

Photos: 24  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 4 View Users Journal
Send a message via ICQ to CareSieB Send a message via AIM to CareSieB Send a message via MSN to CareSieB Send a message via Yahoo to CareSieB
i crossed in detroit when i was 16, ran away from home and said dammit i am going to canada...hah..asked for my id and i was off...i was even a missing person at the time lol
Old October 27th, 2003, 07:10 PM   #22
Seizure
Hullaboarder

You rebel you!
Old October 27th, 2003, 07:13 PM   #23
g-love
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to g-love
it is good yto see if there are any sports games going on that night....check the paper ..tell the border thast what u are doing...works good
Old October 27th, 2003, 10:57 PM   #24
Cheshipillar
Hullaboarder

Hey thats a good idea too hehe ...seems like most of u have this mastered..i dont think i'll have a problem now. thanx
Old October 30th, 2003, 11:48 AM   #25
kandijunglegrrl
Hullaboarder

Photos: 13  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 2 View Users Journal
Send a message via AIM to kandijunglegrrl Send a message via Yahoo to kandijunglegrrl
i'm just gonna tell them i'm goin bar hopping in toronto for my birthday. that's what i always told them when i used to drink and did go barhopping (in windsor), and it worked fine. then i'm staying with friends to recuperate for the rest of the weekend