Password
Home Forum Gallery Arcade Journals FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old June 27th, 2004, 07:32 AM   #1
hkorekanddy
Hullaboarder

Photos: 3  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to hkorekanddy
EXT at the september HULLA

i would loe to see EXT at the september hulla. it is 2 days after my birthday and i kno that EXT spins gabber and happy. i would love to see that combination at a Hulla. especially rite after my birthday.

laters
dj dice

I AM HARDCORE!!!!!!!!!!!!

forture cookie: The Heart Is Wiser Than The Intellect!
hkorekanddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2004, 11:10 AM   #2
HEATER
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to HEATER
first you will need a petition w/1000+ ravers to sign then frolic MIGHT think about it
Old July 1st, 2004, 05:59 PM   #3
xRaVeRx
Hullaboarder

Photos: 7  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to xRaVeRx Send a message via MSN to xRaVeRx
^how come?
*hopefully this isnt a stupid question*
Old July 7th, 2004, 12:23 PM   #4
hkorekanddy
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to hkorekanddy
i just like the mixes that i have from him. he spins gabber and happycore. so thats about it.

laters
dj dice
hkorekanddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2004, 01:36 PM   #5
exT
Hullaboarder

Send a message via MSN to exT
woha, thanks! im glad you like my mixes! id love to play a happy/classic gabber set at hulla some day. id even bust out my phat pants haha! ill be playing some hard stuff at WEMF in the World of Hardcore stage.. so dont miss it!

for everyone else, my mixes are always a free download away at http://electros.dhs.org
Old July 7th, 2004, 08:25 PM   #6
trippy_kitty_kat
Hullanewbie

Send a message via MSN to trippy_kitty_kat
Wink Awesome!

That would be sooooooooo awesome If Adam (exT) played at the next Hulla! I would force everyone there to dance... for the whole set! mUHAHAHAHAHHA

Best of luck Adam!
Kat
trippy_kitty_kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2004, 11:43 PM   #7
bowzer
Hullaboarder

Send a message via MSN to bowzer
i'd suggest ext too, his mixes are sick
Old July 8th, 2004, 01:33 PM   #8
perry461
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to perry461 Send a message via AIM to perry461 Send a message via Yahoo to perry461
Bring Milo to the next Hulla!
perry461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2004, 01:43 PM   #9
Bubbles_2486
Hullaboarder

Send a message via MSN to Bubbles_2486
Who's EXT?

PR-*Bubbles_24*

MSN- Naughty_Hotty_16@hotmail.com

HeArTbEaTz
Bubbles_2486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2004, 01:05 PM   #10
exT
Hullaboarder

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles_2486
Who's EXT?

Woha, that's a big question. I'm not sure where to begin. I guess I could go back as far as 1992, when I first become addicted to dance music, but probably more relevant is to go to 1996 when I first started using the internet.

I had always been into BBS's and phreaking, which my friends greg and kevin introduced me to. Technology was fascinating to me, and even better was learning how to abuse technology. At that time I used the handle Stalker on BBS sites, and user meets. It was around that time that another friend introduced me to mp3's, and IRC (internet relay chat). I was addicted to finding people with similar interests, trading files, and information with them, and downloading mp3's on my 28.8 kbps modem. It was a time consuming task, but the vast amounts of new music I was discovering was un-rivaled. Joining IRC also required that I chose a handle, and as you can imagine, Stalker was already taken. It also dawned on me that it was kind of lame, and I needed something original. I then decided to just hit the keyboard and come up with a random name. "exT" was born. I decided to capitalize the T as back then the cool thing to do on the internet was to talk in "l33t speak". This involves cApItaLiZing random letters in your words. In retrospect it was really lame, but the name stuck. Originally I was pronouncing it "X T" as the "ex" was just "X" in my head. Years of people calling me "e x t" when in person evolved the name into just that. Explaining how to pronounce it was a waste of time I guess.

Fast forward to 1999. I was a massive fan of electronic music at this point. My mp3 collection was massive, and I had every style of music from goa to ambient, to gabber to happy happy hardcore. It was all amazing to me. Two frinds of mine decided to take me to a rave, since they thought I would love the music. The first time they asked me to go was for a party called "Gino beats" held at carleton universities Porter Hall. I declined to go as this was billed as a Hardcore party, and believe it or not I used the excuse "i dont really like hardcore". 2 weeks later they asked me to come to another one. I reluctantly went, and that night will always be remembered as one of the best nights of my life. The party was ironically called Divine Intervention, and it was in an auction hall in Ottawa. The headliner was "Woody McBride a.k.a. DJ Esp" of Drop Bass Network. I didn't know who he was at the time, but nowadays he is one of my favorite producers.

I spent most of that summer involved in the busy and vibrant rave scene in Ottawa. I remember a party called Delicate Beats, where the headliners were none other than Silver1 and Anabolic Frolic! Silver1 was still wearing his silver costume then, and that set absolutely blew me away. Frolic even played Dune's million miles away, which I had in mp3 format from years earlier. I remember talking to Silver1 on ICQ shortly after that party and telling him how much I loved his set, and how I thought I might love happy hardcore hehe. One day, I downloaded a tape called "Spree - Rollercoaster" and began listening to it in my walk-man. It was the best happy hardcore i'd ever heard, and it opened my eyes to the exciting world of hardcore techno music. I brought that tape with me everywhere. It was that tape that I was listening to when I was at the shuttle bus pick-up for Luna 2 at the end of that summer. Someone came up to me and asked me when the next shuttle was coming. That man was Jorah Kai. We began chatting about the party, and he told me he was a hardcore dj. I was like "cool, i love happy hardcore". Later that night I checked out his set, and was blown away. He was mixing crazy pop records with cheesy gabber tunes, and it was glorious. At one point he had a copy of the top gun soundtrack, playing Take my breath away, and was mixing it was some hard distorted gabber beats. I danced like crazy.

I heard Jorah Kai spin a few more times that year, and went to some of his parties, as he was an active promoter in the Ottawa scene at that time. I later saw Deacon Boombastardizer at one of his first ever gigs, Tranceformer 3. It was in an abandoned cosmic adventures building, and had well over 1000 people in attendance. Deacon played a set of Newstyle hardcore. I had heard some mp3's of this style before, but hearing it on a p.a. system was just amazing. The raw power and energy just drags you right onto the dancefloor.

In january of 2000, I bought my first record. Re-charge's When I Grow up, on Waxweazle records, a cheesy but hard as nails oldschool gabber record. To this day, its one of my favorite records. I had borrowed some turntables from my old friend DJ Snug. He was trying to sell them, and wanted me to give it a try. It was addictive from the first mix. I had bought some gabber at ABM records and was trying to mix them together on these awful decks. One was a technics sl-3200. You might think that since its a higher model it could be better than a 1200, but no. The pitch was a wheel that was really hard to move. It was a terrible deck. The other was a rotel belt drive deck with +-6%. It was even worse, and the pitch "knob" was very cumbersome. I purchased the decks from him (very cheaply) and began collecting more records, and practicing daily. I eventually realized I had to get sl-1200's before I could move to the next step. My ridiculous job at Nortel gave me enough money to buy a crate of records a month, and eventually my own 1200's. The next stage was the performance.

I nervously put together my first mix. exT - March 2001 It had taken me a long time to get something I was really happy with but the end result was a good introduction to me preferred style, oldstyle gabber. In toronto, it's known as Rotterdam. I sent the demo to a promoter who was throwing an all hardcore party that april called Ground Zero. He immediately offered me an opening slot for my first live set. I threw a crate together with my favorite oldstyle tracks and was ready to tear the roof of the place. The venue ended up being one of ottawa's most notorious old rave venues, the Auberge Des Rapides. I had partied there many times, and now I got to play there. It was beyond exciting. I got to the party during setup, and was told to go on at 8pm. The promoter promised me that the first shuttle bus would be there shortly, so I wouldnt be playing to an empty room hehe. I hit the decks, and was just amazed at the power and raw energy coming through the needles and out of the massive tower speakers they had rented. It was like thunderous hammer strokes into the chest. I love that feeling. Being grabbed by the chest and thrown onto the dance floor. The first shuttle bus arrived, and someone standing behind me tapped me on the shoulder. It was Deacon Boombastardizer! He was watching me spin and leaned over to say "You're mixing is really tight!". That encouragement was all I needed. Soon there was a number of people dancing and people were enjoying the gabber they came to hear. After that set, I got lots of compliments on my set. They had never heard most of the tracks I had. I made it my duty to put together a completely unique set, not playing the same tracks as all the other hardcore djs in Ottawa. I personally dont like hearing the same track all the time, so diversity became my number one goal. I remembered silver1 telling me that he tries to play lesser known happy hardcore to keep it interesting, which I always loved. His flow and ability to be unique every time really fascinated me.

Last edited by exT : July 9th, 2004 at 01:13 PM.
exT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2004, 01:06 PM   #11
exT
Hullaboarder

PART 2

I later gave my demo tape to the one who started it all, Jorah Kai and I got to open the main room at his epic Deelight 5 party. 8 tops and 8 bottoms in the two stacks of that room, it was the biggest sound system Ive ever played on to this day. The rave scene in Ottawa started to quiet down after that, thanks to the City of Ottawa and the police pressuring venues, and eventually imposing a Rave Bylaw. Me at the promoter of Ground Zero, Matt Darkstar decided to throw some all ages hardcore events at club saw. We could only throw them till 3 am, but it was cheap and no alcohol so we could do something for the under age ravers, which is the main fan-base of hardcore in ottawa. The first event was very sucessful. We had a live band called Throatmotor, and a wicked hard house dj named DJ Kristan come out and play. The next event was much less sucessful, due to a horrible winter storm that made it difficult for people to come out, but it was still a lot of fun. We decided to try throwing a hardcore rave, which we knew was a huge risk since ottawa's scene was very troubled by 2003, and we had to throw it 30 minutes outside of ottawa thanks to the rave bylaw. We ended up with about 70 people coming out, which was not enough to cover our costs and we lost a good amount, and there was a number of problems through the night. Rave promoting was something I was gonna take a long break from. Nonetheless we had some great djs come out and play. DJ Tyrant from montreal, Deacon from his new him in toronto, B7 from toronto, and Merku from quebec city. Merku was wicked, and he was a really awesome guy. We started talking and I went to play at one of his parties in june of 2003 in quebec city. The party was called Friday the 13th Part 3, and they had me billed as "Happy Gabber". I had heard this term before, but never really considered myself to be a Happy dj. He asked me to play a set inspired by my October 2002 mix, which I guess does fit the term Happy Gabber.

I put together a crazy set of cheesy gabber, and slammin oldstye (rotterdam) for this show. I even had some old euro-dance I was gonna play on 45. This mixed really nicely, and I was loving this Happy Gabber sound more than the Newstyle I was mainly collecting at the time. I played a 30 minute sample of the set I had prepared on ottawa's CKCU radio the week before, and it sounded really nice.My friend Greg even recorded it for me That weekend, playing in Quebec City was another experience that will stick with me forever. The venue was a huge after-hours called CUBE. It was a 2 story warehouse type room, with balconies, risers, subs built into the wall, a stage, and an elevated dj booth, a "couch room" and a lounge upstairs for the trance. An absolutely amazing club, and it was a complete pleasure to play on it. The sound was crisp, powerful, and full. 4 decks, cdj's, djm600, and more in the dj booth. The best part was the people, over 430 in the venue, and the main room was just packed. Bongo drummers at the back, everyone in costumes or candy. The quebec city rave scene is the most amazing ive experienced. The vibe, and the people were incredible. After my 2 hour set (i love 2 hour sets. you really get to take the crowd on a journey, and they get to know you and your style a lot better), I had tons of people coming up to me and thanking me for my set. One girl decided to tell me she was in front of the booth looking at me like a god the whole time. My french was really rusty though, so it was a challenge talking to people. There was a few english speaking people there, and the french ones tried hard to thank me in broken english. It was an amazing feeling to have touched so many people and I had new inspiration to keep pumping the hardcore for those who wanted to hear it.

A few weeks later I was asked to play at a small hardcore party in Montreal, which ended up being a strange night spent on a sidewalk in downtown montreal. The venue owner never showed up, so we spent 5 hours sitting on the sidewalk, which was fun in some respects, but i just really wanted to play some hard scary hardcore in montreal. There was a good turnout too, id say over 100 people showed up at the sidewalk at some point, but most left due to boredom. We ended up going to someones appartment at 5 am or so, and setting up decks. I got to play 5 records at 6 am for about 7 people, then the cops showed up. I play too hard appearantly haha. On top of that I didnt get paid. I am probably too nice, since the promoter lost a ton of money on that night and I never pressured him to pay me. He even offered to book me again, for twice the amount, but I was busy on the day he selected and had to back out. Still, that promoter is a great guy and I'd love to play renegade legion again some day. The end of that summer brought us the gonzo rave club Momentum. They were never able to get an after-hours permit for that club, according to the city it was because the parking lot was too un-even! We still had quite a few fun little all ages club nights there, and I got to play a few times. The last time i played there, the club was completely empty. There was a few people hanging around outside smoking, but nobody was inside the club at all. It was surreal, since they had a huge sound system, and I was tearing the crap out of the speakers, but it was just for me, haha.. Needless to say, they went out of business days later.

In october I was asked to come back to quebec city to play at Extinction. The headliner was none other than Neophyte! They are among the biggest gabber producers in the world, and were being flown in from The Netherlands for an exclusive 2 city engagement, montreal and quebec city in 1 night, halloween. I got to that party at 9pm or so, after driving up with pat The Coffee Man, which was a story in itself haha. Massive bingo hall venue, divided into 2 rooms, with huge stacks in each corner of both rooms. Lots of decoration, huge stages, and mattresses against the wall! it was crazy, and that night proved to be an adventure. Neophyte only showed up for 1 hour but took payment for 2 hours. They had some gear stolen in montreal and werent in the greatest mood I guess. But great set regardless. Lots of sound bleed from the 2 rooms next to eachother, but if you were dancing in the middle it was ok. over 1000 people at this party. I got to play at 8 am for a 2 hour set, and it was still packed. Even when i left the party at 12 noon, it was still packed! only the trance room was going, but still hundreds of people going. Quebec city is a beautiful place, with a vibrant scene, and everyone must go there at some point.

My first toronto gig was at a Next Offensive party in november 2003. I had previously met brad and the gang at a barn party in ottawa earlier that year, and they were really great people. I'm also a fan of the freetek vibe, and was going to toronto that weekend to visit my buddy kevin at u of t anyway. Had brads brother come get me at bloor&spadina cuz i didnt want to get lost in toronto. I hadnt been there since i was 12! We take some subways and a bus and ended up in a park off eglington. A huge park though, with a railway bridge. You could see the science center nearby. They set up a tent and some sound in the bushes deep into this park, and it was really amazing. They had lanterns and a fire pit set up, and the sound was fairly good. Too bad it was so cold out, but the vibe was really tribal anyway. I still have to delevop my pictures from this night haha. Sadly though the party got busted by toronto's finest after only 2 sets. So we all piled onto the techno bus!! they have their own school bus! it was really weird. So jesse (luna-one) and I got on it, and we ended up at brad's house, and I got to spin for 30 minutes in the kitchen hehe. I played oldschool breakbeat, which is my second favorite style. It was deffinitely an adventure. Met lots of great people.

Most recently, I played a tag team set with Dominik, one of my dj role models. He is a wicked guy, and although he was supposed to tag with Jorah Kai that night, I'm really glad I had the opportunity to share the decks with him. Also met Apathy, Grimace, and Dr. Fritz that night, and they are also wicked people. I made a brand new mix cd for that event, Unnecessary Surgery which I handed out to a few people. Only days later I got a message from Unabomber who was handed a copy, and he said he really enjoyed it. That was great encouragement since I know unabomber is one of canada's authorities on hardcore techno music.

And only 2 months ago I was asked to play my first hardcore set in Toronto, at Icantstopraving.com's Energyzer. That was quite an interesting night. I had never been to a rave in toronto, so it was an eye-opening experience. The vibe in toronto is great, everyone i met was very friendly. They made everyone go outside to get searched, even dj's, and I met a bunch of people in the line while waiting. I was tagging with apathy, and when the cartridges werent working, she jumped right in and fixed that. Very experienced dj, and she has wicked records haha. I think we maybe played a little too hard for a happy hardcore party, but I know there was at least a few hardheadz there. One guy said it was the best set hes ever heard at that venue, and hes been to over 80 parties there. Thats all I needed to hear It was a lot of fun. Too bad s-capade missed my set because he was waiting in line for 45 minutes. He seemed disappointed. The security was mad strict.

What's next? I'm not really sure. I'll be playing a 1 hour set on the World of Hardcore stage at WEMF this year, and I'm really excited about that. Not sure what kind of hardcore I will play though. I want to give people an idea of how broad my tastes are, but keeping them dancing, and not making any cheese haters, or hardheadz mad hehe. So it will probably start out dark but get lighter and faster towards the end. I sure hope you guys come check it out, even if you are partied the f#%@ out by sunday morning haha.

As for my record collection, well its out of control. I built a site on discogs.com and it was at over 1100 records, plus 2 or 3 hundred which i have yet to catalog. It's taking over my basement hehe. Most of it is gabber, with some techno, and a lot of oldschool breakbeat. There's a lot of variety, but its enough to keep me discovering new tracks in my collection almost every day haha.

I may have left out some crucial parts, but I think that you've probably read enough, and are getting sick reading by now so I'll leave it at that. Much love, and hopefully I'll see you all soon
Old July 9th, 2004, 01:42 PM   #12
GlowRaver4184
Hullaboarder

holy crap! i dont have time to read that all now but when i get home from work i'll be sure to.......looks interesting!
GlowRaver4184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2004, 02:29 PM   #13
trippy_kitty_kat
Hullanewbie

*sigh* Jorah Kai * Long live KaiCore!*
Old July 9th, 2004, 08:47 PM   #14
Bubbles_2486
Hullaboarder

Send a message via MSN to Bubbles_2486
I'm sorry to everyone for asking my question and having you all read that HUGE long thing...i still have no idea who EXT is? I was looking for a simple answer like...a hardcore dj and maybe something i would know that he spins?? Anyways...
Bubbles_2486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2004, 12:49 AM   #15
Camrose
Hullaboarder

Send a message via MSN to Camrose
I vote for ext too.

Amy
Camrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2004, 02:21 AM   #16
trippy_kitty_kat
Hullanewbie

he is a dj lol
Old July 12th, 2004, 07:59 PM   #17
SuBsOnIc7
Hullanewbie

I think exT would be an awesome choice for the next hulla.. dude throws down mad track!
Best of luck Adam!
OTTAWA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Subsonic!
SuBsOnIc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2004, 08:05 PM   #18
simply me
Hullanewbie

I vot exT too.. I've heard him at a few house parties and at KIP (exT vs. Dominik) amazing set!
James
simply me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2004, 04:46 AM   #19
-=)PomPom(=-
Hullanewbie

Send a message via MSN to -=)PomPom(=-
Bubbles_2486
I'm sorry to everyone for asking my question and having you all read that HUGE long thing

Hehehe dont worry i didnt read all that :P

But to answer ur question:
exT is by far the best Hardcore DJ in Ottawa!!
He has an amazing track selection!

Guys(u know who u are), i want the van to get fixed b4 the next Hulla cuz i dont wanna miss it this time!! *Winks,winks* :P

Last edited by -=)PomPom(=- : July 13th, 2004 at 05:12 AM. Reason: Too many mistakes :P
-=)PomPom(=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2004, 10:50 PM   #20
trippy_kitty_kat
Hullanewbie

yes the van will be fixed HULLA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old July 18th, 2004, 08:37 PM   #21
-=)PomPom(=-
Hullanewbie

Send a message via MSN to -=)PomPom(=-
Yay!!!!!!! :P
-=)PomPom(=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2004, 05:49 PM   #22
exT
Hullaboarder

well i was at the september hulla and i had a fantabulous time!! dougal really blew me away.. also, i handed around 50 cd's, and i have a few left over so i'll have to bring them to clsm with me, so find me if you didnt get one yet.

see you all soon!
Old September 22nd, 2004, 05:52 PM   #23
perry461
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to perry461 Send a message via AIM to perry461 Send a message via Yahoo to perry461
I got one!! Great mix dude!!
perry461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2004, 10:16 PM   #24
chipakapockets
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 28 View Users Journal
Send a message via MSN to chipakapockets
PUT HIM AT THE NEXT HULLA!!! HE IS A GOD!!!!! EXT RULESSS!!!!! EXT FOR HULLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLUR,

Chip

Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989
chipakapockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2004, 05:54 PM   #25
Mr Skittles
Friendship Crew

Photos: 7  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Mr Skittles Send a message via MSN to Mr Skittles Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Skittles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles_2486
I'm sorry to everyone for asking my question and having you all read that HUGE long thing...i still have no idea who EXT is? I was looking for a simple answer like...a hardcore dj and maybe something i would know that he spins?? Anyways...

dont worry about it!! If you EVER have any questions, feel free to ask. and if someone wants to get on your shit for now knowing, then let them be the asshole. there was a time when all of us were there, when we didnt know too much!

Lucky Star Travel

"A movin groove with a massive plan"

TOP FLIGHT MUTHA-F*CKIN SECURITY
Mr Skittles is offline   Reply With Quote