Go Back   The HullaBoard > Other Stuff > Politics & Media
User Name
Password
Home Forum Gallery Arcade Journals FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old January 25th, 2005, 12:08 PM   #1
Telkhin
Hullanewbie

Send a message via AIM to Telkhin Send a message via MSN to Telkhin
Lightbulb People eer thouhgt about being pro-active about Raves?

I'm new to this site, and the scene. But i've all seen is ppl complain about how raves have changed and bla bla bla....Or we don't have enough money to throw the rave!!!

I'm simply here to give ideas and suggestions...so take them or leave'em
and it will be a long post to....

First off drug users and how raves are all about E...hmmmm well i'm sorry its true and only because we as ravers let it happen. I mean if you want it to be a sober scene wiht out drugs then kick the ppl who do drugs out...i know we don't want to be mean or anything but come on!!... heres my cheesy analogy to go with it--->>
its like if someone invaded your country are you gona sit back and say yeah you can live at my house with me. Or are you gonna try to kick their asses out..for our terms its call "tough love" ppl we gotta learn to use it. Its not somthing we want to do but its sumthing we got to do to keep ourselves from getting harmed or being harmed. And i know we don't like getting our parties crashed and having to deal with cops. BUt hell its our fault for not taking it in our own hands. The better analogy to this would be the American revolutionary war. but it isn't cheesy, so i couldn't use it!!!!

raves are dying....hmmmm...hmmmm i think that goes along with the above. The main reason i see raves as dying is because of their association to drugs. I know prolly 20 ppl who would go to raves but they don't want to because of the drug association...hint hint!!

Now the whole issue of finding venues to hold them at or money to throw raves.. Yes i know it costs a crap load of money to throw raves. And most venues don't want to have them at their clubs. I believe thats the problem i keep hearing about..

SOLUTION

Find a way to make more money!!! Then build your own venue!

HOwever that solution doesn't work. cuz it would get busted and shut down!!

So heres the better solution..and yes i have looked into it and it would be very cost effective...

You buy a plot of land prolly a decent sized, on the outskirts of the city or so. Then you do the true term of "underground" and actually go underground.

yes i'm sure some one has thought of it. You build a huge venue underground. And yes it is possible since they allready exist. especially in America.. However they were built by fucking geek kids more or less. There pretty sweet some are 1/2 to 1 mile long underground. They hold huge amounts of people. And are very well sound proofed. I do know for a fact that these do exist in other countries as well. But u have to know where to look. Could u just imagine 50,000- 100,000 strong raving it up. with out hassle from cops. Of course for that to ever happen we would need to seriously pull our act together and get organized. ANd our flyers would most definitley have to becoem alot better at disguises to say the least.
It can be done very easily and very cheapily.....

those are my thoughts on what needs to be done to be proactive.

HOpe you like them!!!And always carry the good vibes!!

Telkhin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2005, 12:11 PM   #2
evangelos_gq
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 2 View Users Journal
we are all pro-active about raves... at least most of us... i protested the ANTI-RAVE act in the States, but it does no damn good. We have no power... we are just "drugie kids that are going through a phase" ... except for the drugs part... my "phase" is 6 years old now... I dont want to ever stop raving.

Depressives don't. They want to be unhappy to confirm they're depressed. If they were happy they couldn't be depressed anymore. They'd have to go out into the world and live. Which can be depressing.
-Closer.
evangelos_gq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2005, 12:52 PM   #3
peachfuzz
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to peachfuzz Send a message via Yahoo to peachfuzz
^^ agreed.

this is like the 1 millionth post i've read on the subject, and they all say the same thing. but, you're offering nothing more than a solution, and no way to get there.

do you really have any idea how many millions of dollars it would cost to build an underground venue? not to mention one of that size?

i don't mean to shoot down your ideas, because i really do think they are great, but they just aren't practical.

as for the drug issue. sure, the scene is rampant with them, but there isn't much that we can do about it. it would be nice to see everyone at a party completely sober, high on nothing except for the music, but think of how badly pulling all of the "drug kids" out of the scene would affect it. i hate to say it, but do you realize how low the attence would be if they actually did this?

it takes a long time to change peoples mindsets about something when it has been engrained into them as "wrong" or whatever, and the people you speak of who would come if it weren't for the drugs wouldn't go for quite some time. by then, the scene would be long dead due to lack of attendance.

great ideas, yes, but they are a bit overly utopian. the only thing we can really do is keep our love for the music, and our love for the scene, contribute to and attend parties that are thrown, throw your own LEGAL parties, and introduce as many people into our culture as possible.
-------------------------------------

DISCLAIMER: this, by no means, is meant to sound like the scene is built on drugs. just that they are part of it, unfortunately, and without them you wouldn't be seeing any big parties anymore. which isn't a bad thing at all, it's just that things would revert to being a lot more localized, rather than people travelling across country to attend one event.

</rant>
peachfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2005, 12:55 PM   #4
evangelos_gq
Hullaboarder

^ im glad you and i are normally together on the issues...
Old January 25th, 2005, 01:01 PM   #5
peachfuzz
Hullaboarder

hah.. i'm just glad that someone shares my views...

usually i am ostersized for saying stuff like that..
Old January 25th, 2005, 02:03 PM   #6
Telkhin
Hullanewbie

I can't help but laugh at those posts. First of all its prolly not a good thing to create self-fulfilling prophecies. Second of all smell the roses. becuz they smell good over here.
Third i expected answers like that and i agree with you to some degree. Fourth i only gave a solution to see what kind of posts i would get... I"ve actually spent 6 months doing my homework and do know how it is possible to make a venue like that. and it would only cost about 10,000-20,000 dollars. and if u want to know how that is possible well you can IM be about it. lastly i'm just gonna say "don't throw the baby out with the bath water" , hopefully some one will get that!!!!

PLUR and blessings!
Old January 25th, 2005, 02:05 PM   #7
itsgigglegirl
Friendship Crew

Photos: 3  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to itsgigglegirl
i think it's something that as newbs we all feel the need to do: "save the rave" from the "man" and all the jaded folks that try to bust our balls. then after sometime we realize that really all we need to do is support our local promotion companies and keep doing what we're doing and everything will be okay...it has been for years/decades and will continue to be until we as a subculture stop caring

You can't miss me, I'm the girl with the smile

Shake like an earthquake, and cut like a guillotine
itsgigglegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2005, 02:10 PM   #8
evangelos_gq
Hullaboarder

Perhaps building an underground cave and being all secretive is NOT the answer... instead should we work on building acceptance of our culture... obiously they have some kind of deal worked out in europe... there was over 40,000 people at Sensation Black...

Politically and above ground is the best way for us ravers to be accepted... instead of retiring to the bowells of the Earth like Denis Leary and his followers in Demolition Man.
Old January 25th, 2005, 02:21 PM   #9
peachfuzz
Hullaboarder

^^ exactly, evan and court.

things are already starting to get better with what we're doing. it just takes a long time to make things better.

and, i know for a fact that it would cost a LOT more than that to build said venue.

right now my family is buying a building, which has gas tanks under the ground. before they can setup their business, they need to remove the tanks. just to do that it would cost approximately 50,000 dollars, and that's the lowest bid any contractor around here will give them.

i couldn't even imagine what it would cost to build a 50,000 person venue 1/2 mile underground.

i'm not trying to "bust your balls" (:P), i'm just adding my two cents.
Old January 25th, 2005, 02:22 PM   #10
evangelos_gq
Hullaboarder

and your two cents are correct.
Old January 25th, 2005, 03:44 PM   #11
upinflames1234
Hullaboarder

Photos: 4  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to upinflames1234
I agree, we just have to keep supporting our local scene and keep turning people on to it. I'm sure it will come full circle. I've noticed a trend with popular music. up untill and after the 90's, people were into the new types of music. (i.e. electronic music) Now they are into the 60's and 70's types of music. and now we are starting to get into the 80's. (proof of that is leg warmers... need i say more) so I'm convinced it will come full circle.
Old January 25th, 2005, 04:17 PM   #12
itsgigglegirl
Friendship Crew

Photos: 3  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to itsgigglegirl
god i love leg warmers

*humps leg warmers*
itsgigglegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2005, 04:18 PM   #13
evangelos_gq
Hullaboarder

Old January 25th, 2005, 04:33 PM   #14
upinflames1234
Hullaboarder

Photos: 4  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to upinflames1234
hey, nothing wrong with leg warmers... as long as your not madonna...
upinflames1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2005, 04:45 PM   #15
evangelos_gq
Hullaboarder

i bet madonna had gucci leg warmers that cost $600...
Old January 25th, 2005, 04:50 PM   #16
DJLeash
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to DJLeash
speaking of fantastic sounding raves and acceptance in the uk
anyone hear about transmission?
supposed to be six arena's
like 10000 capacity.
i wish we could have something like
or
www.myspace.com/djleash
DJLeash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2005, 04:55 PM   #17
DJLeash
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to DJLeash
and you know what most of the people i know that are in the scene are proactive.
Alot of people i know are out there pushing for weeklies, making fliers, hounding venues, and promoting some up and coming talent. Why should we run underground?
you don't think cops would notice some thousands of cars without any occupants parked in a field somewhere? I'm pretty sure they'd shut that down too. Not to be mean but i'm a realist. I would rather just keep pushing my shit as hard as i can, and given props to the promotors that are really doin it.
DJLeash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2005, 10:45 PM   #18
Weaver
Hullaboarder

Photos: 11  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 4 View Users Journal
in europe electronic music is way more popular than it is here which is probably one of the reasons, not the only reason; ONE OF THE REASONS, why we aren't throwing big events around here. If someone was to throw a hardcore party in a venue that could hold 10 thousand in toronto, even if you had some big headliners it just wouldn't happen, there isn't that many people that would go, period.

Sure people like tiesto can do it, but tiesto is more like a concert per-say... kinda.
Old January 25th, 2005, 10:49 PM   #19
Weaver
Hullaboarder

Photos: 11  Users Photo Gallery
and as for the throw all ravers out who do drugs, thats just not going to work. I myself am a sober raver, I don't touch drugs for numerous reasons which I'm not going to get into, but when over 50% of your audiance, and I think that is being very generous, does do drugs it would just hurt your attendance and ticket sales. plus there is no PLUR in not RESPECTING others choices, and UNITY by exclusion is not ture unity.
Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2005, 02:27 AM   #20
Phlux
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Phlux
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telkhin
I can't help but laugh at those posts. First of all its prolly not a good thing to create self-fulfilling prophecies. Second of all smell the roses. becuz they smell good over here.
Third i expected answers like that and i agree with you to some degree. Fourth i only gave a solution to see what kind of posts i would get... I"ve actually spent 6 months doing my homework and do know how it is possible to make a venue like that. and it would only cost about 10,000-20,000 dollars. and if u want to know how that is possible well you can IM be about it. lastly i'm just gonna say "don't throw the baby out with the bath water" , hopefully some one will get that!!!!

PLUR and blessings!

I would very much like to know how you could build a half mile long underground venue for $10,000-$20,000. I know several engineers and architects who would also like to know. Downsview subway station cost the TTC just under $150 Million, and that was just for the underground station, excluding the tunnel system. I think your idea is good with creating a large scale venue to throw events in, but underground?
Phlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2005, 03:02 AM   #21
CareSieB
Hullaboarder

Photos: 24  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to CareSieB Send a message via AIM to CareSieB Send a message via MSN to CareSieB Send a message via Yahoo to CareSieB
i have been talkin to this kid for a while now..and he says A LOT of things that REALLY dont make any sense....
Old January 26th, 2005, 04:51 PM   #22
Telkhin
Hullanewbie

Very true i do say alot of things that don't makes sense. Unless u want to sit down and let me explain it for like an hour. But hey we all have our quirks and thats one of mine.
NO!! i don't do drugs at all. In case u were wondering....phlux. I said to build it underground for one reason, better sound proofing. And it won't bother others. Besides who the hell would ever think of building a venue under the ground....besides me...As for the cost 10,000-20,000 in cash could easily.. U simply have to know where to put that money to turn huge profits, overnight. which is very possible. But hey remember it was only a suggestion.
Old January 26th, 2005, 04:55 PM   #23
CareSieB
Hullaboarder

Photos: 24  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to CareSieB Send a message via AIM to CareSieB Send a message via MSN to CareSieB Send a message via Yahoo to CareSieB
^^so you cant actually BUILD the venue that cheaply..but if you had that much money you could INVEST it and GET enough money out of it.........and like a lot of people in this thread have said...things are NOT this easy....saying and doing are 2 entirely different things...you try to do something like throw a party..even a small one..then get back to me on how simple things are...
CareSieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2005, 04:55 PM   #24
evangelos_gq
Hullaboarder

^ an 'A' for effort... on your suggestion that is...
Old January 26th, 2005, 09:24 PM   #25
Glyce
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 8 View Users Journal
Send a message via AIM to Glyce Send a message via MSN to Glyce
Agreed with everyone else, I'll put in my two cents. In CO, the rave scene really blows chunks. It used to be pretty good from what I hear, but it's really gone downhill. But somehow, there tends to be something going on at least once a month. This means that yea, people complain about the scene dying, bla bla bla. But really, the scene is more like it was a long time ago, before it came above ground, they just miss the times when there was a raver population in the high school; or when on Sunday morning you'd see someone dressed in bright clothing with a pacifier and some kandi, and his bunch of friends right behind him. Right now, since all the fuss about raves has gone away, we can come back, and do what we do with less fear than before.
As for drugs, I don't know a single raver (in person/off the boards) who doesn't do drugs. It's not that they're addicted (some are), it's just that that's the way they like to rave. It's stupid for other people to say they don't want to come because of the drugs, it's not like the place is so full of drugs they're gonna get high on secondhand smoke, or smell tweak the whole night etc. They just want to have a reason not to go, and drugs is the easiest one.
Anyway, that was my rant. Sorry. I get really talkative sometimes. Peace, thanks for the suggestions, but they really are a little silly . If you would like to build an underground venue, go for it. It would be cool for a change in pitch. But it's not gonna fix the scene.

PLUR (V)