The HullaBoard  

Go Back   The HullaBoard > Hullabaloo Events > Archives (read-only) > Pacific Sun
User Name
Password
Home Forum Gallery Arcade Journals FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old February 6th, 2005, 03:28 PM   #1
jeffinerkitty
Hullanewbie

people call this a rave??

This was my first hulla and i was extremely disappointed. i guess "rave" means something different in the states b/c hulla was nothing but a club that happened to have techno music. Everyone seemed to make a big hype out of it making it seem like it was going to be packed. Most of the clubs I go to in New York are more packed then hulla was. No wonder there are only going to be two left... by the way i am extremely pissed that I wasted 56 dollars and a bunch of gas money to get there...although i bet most of the people that went there would not understand b/c that probably got money from their mommies and daddies.
Old February 6th, 2005, 04:13 PM   #2
DigitalRaver
Hullaboarder

Send a message via MSN to DigitalRaver
Then stick to your New York Clubs and leave the pleasures of Hullabaloo to those who can actually enjoy it and have a blast while we're there! And don't ever call it "Techno". Get your genres straight before you start spilling shit about something that has a world renound name and has been a major part of the Toronto rave scene for about 7 years now! It's mostly happy hardcore that was played last night, along with some sweet Drum 'n' Bass and Hardcore sets aswell. IT's cool if you didn't like it and it wasn't for you. It's not for everyone, but keep those kind of comments to your self!
-------------------------
{http://digitalraver.ath.cx}
Old February 6th, 2005, 04:37 PM   #3
limey
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 7 View Users Journal
Live and learn. Just dont bitch about it.

And im sure we're all very impressed at your proclaimed financial independance.
Old February 6th, 2005, 04:39 PM   #4
FEMME|FATALE
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 1 View Users Journal
^

nice!

LISTEN TO:
AIDS WOLF | M.I.A. | RATATAT | CHROMEO | WE ARE WOLVES | THE BLOOD BROTHERS | and the best band in the history of rock music ^
Old February 6th, 2005, 04:40 PM   #5
FEMME|FATALE
Hullaboarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffinerkitty
This was my first hulla and i was extremely disappointed. i guess "rave" means something different in the states b/c hulla was nothing but a club that happened to have techno music. Everyone seemed to make a big hype out of it making it seem like it was going to be packed. Most of the clubs I go to in New York are more packed then hulla was. No wonder there are only going to be two left... by the way i am extremely pissed that I wasted 56 dollars and a bunch of gas money to get there...although i bet most of the people that went there would not understand b/c that probably got money from their mommies and daddies.

...uhhhhh..
Old February 6th, 2005, 05:27 PM   #6
Busta
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Busta Send a message via AIM to Busta
Yeah, um... There isn't any techno at hulla. It's for the most part, all happy hardcore. Maybe you don't like happy hardcore??? Hulla is definately not for people who don't like happy hardcore.
Old February 6th, 2005, 05:35 PM   #7
Everybodies_Daddy
Hullaboarder

Photos: 8  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 25 View Users Journal
Send a message via ICQ to Everybodies_Daddy
It's 'cos I was only there for an hour and a half.

MCED

Hot + Dirty
Old February 6th, 2005, 06:16 PM   #8
Poodirinky
Hullaboarder

Quote:

Old February 6th, 2005, 06:25 PM   #9
[SQUARE]
Hullaboarder

Whoa hulla is the furthest thing from a club night! Its funny that you would even say that.

I don't too often see people decked in fun fur and kandy with glowsticks hugging each other at the clubs i go to.
Old February 6th, 2005, 06:35 PM   #10
DJ Tranzit
Hullaboarder
Snake Champion! High Score: 2183  Duck Hunt Champion! High Score: 89000 

Send a message via ICQ to DJ Tranzit Send a message via MSN to DJ Tranzit Send a message via Yahoo to DJ Tranzit
who let soju on the board again?

PLUR

** New - Dj Tranzit - This Is Why I'm Hot - 60 min hardcore fuckery ***
Old February 6th, 2005, 06:39 PM   #11
KandiKat
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to KandiKat Send a message via MSN to KandiKat Send a message via Yahoo to KandiKat
Quote:

S'cuse me I'd like to say something to this..
*steps up on her soap box.*
Now, it seems to me that everyone is getting caught up on semantics here. Obviously a clubber from NY is going to think that HHC is techno. Most people who don't know anything about the scene think all electronic music is techno.
I personally enjoyed having the space to dance, thank you very much. Any more packed and it would have been uncomfortably warm with absolutely no room to dance. So there.
jeffinerkitty, I think you need to own up to the fact that you didn't bother to research the scene before you "spent all that money" to come to Hulla. Those of us who are part of it know what we're getting and we enjoy it. You expected a rave to be like a club. It's totally not. You can't blame the fact that you didn't have a good time on anyone but yourself.
Oh, and by the by, mudslinging is *very mature*. It's been my experiance that the majority of folks who attend Hulla actually have jobs of their own, and thus earn their party money. And if not, if their parents support them in their rave endeavors, all the more power to them. Some parents aren't as supportive, so if the kids wanna party, they gotta pay for themselves. Don't make the mistake of thinking you're the only financially independant one out there.

Of course, you could just be shit disturbing, which is entirely the case. Grow up already and take some responsibility for your actions.
*steps down*

.:Kat:.

**It's better to light a candle than to curse the darkness.**
Old February 6th, 2005, 07:28 PM   #12
DJDUPONT
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to DJDUPONT
I can see how JEFFINERKITTY.
could have been dissapointed i gennerally party and spin in the nyc/new england area and usally the events are on a bigger scale multipole rooms multipole genras of music .I understand where your coming from but now look at it from my point of view.
This was my first hulla and this shit was dope it was everything i expected., it was worth every cent and the 10 hour drive,For me its diffrent i love this music there could have been 2 people in the venue and i would have had a fucking blast..I guess u have to understand it befour u appreciate for me its all about the music, Why alot of people might go to party or for the vibe and crowd size, I on the other hand got to see real producers/djs not just a dj spinning someone elses work.I am a big fan of frisky and sharkey and it was a one in a life time experience and opertunity!!!
"Whats better then seeing the actuall artist play the tracks u no and love and the newones u cant own on vinal yet.In my eyes its priceless.I guess it all depends on what your there for.
So in all i ask everyone this guestion why did u attened hulla?

And just to let u know i am a full time student @ southern CT state university.I work 2 part time jobs and im a dj/promoter I pay for my own classes,my own books, my own gas my own car insurance , my own cell and of course my own ticket to hulla.
IM NOT KNOCKING U @ ALL JEFFINERKITTY "BUT trust me there are alot of hard working people out there it may not seem it but its true.HONESTLY WOULD U WANT U WANT SDOMEONE TALKIN S*** ABOUT YOUR LOCAL PARTY FRIENDS?

Respect to all...DuPont
]
Whistel, After Party.PA (TBA)

www.RaversOnly.com
www.myspace.com/djdupont

Last edited by DJDUPONT : February 6th, 2005 at 07:39 PM.
Old February 6th, 2005, 07:37 PM   #13
DigitalRaver
Hullaboarder

Send a message via MSN to DigitalRaver
I too go for the music. I love it and have for many many years now. It's also nice to come to a place where you are surrounded by ppl who feel (for the most part) the same way as I do. The vibe is awesome, the ppl are friendly, and well, it just feels like home (any rave in general really). So I agree with you Dupont.

PLUR

** I've been supporting not only myself but others (when I can) to raves and do my best to make sure that my fellow ravers have a safe, fun party experience, and plan to for years to come!

Last edited by DigitalRaver : February 6th, 2005 at 07:41 PM.
Old February 6th, 2005, 07:39 PM   #14
KandiKat
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to KandiKat Send a message via MSN to KandiKat Send a message via Yahoo to KandiKat
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDUPONT
I can see how KANDIKAT could have been dissapointed...

?????
I wasn't disappointed, I had a blast. I didn't start this thread.
I think you're confused..
Old February 6th, 2005, 07:40 PM   #15
DJDUPONT
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to DJDUPONT
Sorry i was confused look up..^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I hope u can forgive me..=)
Old February 6th, 2005, 07:43 PM   #16
KandiKat
Hullaboarder

^^ Of course
Old February 6th, 2005, 08:11 PM   #17
simonsaysthis
Hullaboarder

Why do i persist in going to hulla year after year? Good question.... the answer.........

the music... i admit hhc is a bit of an aquired taste, but NOWHERE else can you hear the "good stuff" that you do at each and every hulla... and those guests dj's i've met and heard... yowza!!!

the vibe... i've been to dozens of parties held by other production companies... dose, syrous, goodfellas, email, sourkee, liquid adrenaline, fresh, darkrave, destiny, ATM, big bud, even (forgive me), F3.... you name it, i've tried it at one point or another and NOWHERE else are the people so uniformly fun and undeniably dancing cuz they wanna... not trying to pick up, not having the attitude, not fronting.... hulla is the oldskool vibe to the core, from the funfur and plastic bracelets, pikachu backpacks.... and someone shaking your hand because you just busted out some wicked dance moves.... and everyone watching out for each other... "are you doing ok? need some water?"..... sound familiar?

the history... my first hulla was back in 99... Foreverland... and i've been hooked ever since... thru the ups and the downs in the toronto scene, the city gov crackdown... the sad incidents at hullas.... thru it all, hulla has remained true to itself... happy 2b hardcore, positive vibes, no thugs, no attitude, only good people having good times... there've been so many other companies come and go over the years that i've lost count, but hulla has remained.... that's something special....

so i guess you've learned your lesson, no real harm done... what's fifty bucks to try something new? for the rest of us... let's keep on being happy 2b hard core for the little time we have left...

PS - This is what this part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated....
Old February 6th, 2005, 08:36 PM   #18
KineticEvolution.ca
Hullaboarder

I just wanted to say that I traveled 4 hours to get to this event, and with 10 years in the scene I unfortunatly had never been to a hulla before this, I was not disapointed at all infact it renewed a scence of the scene I thought was long dead.

I infact had atleast 20 peps come up to me and either hug me or kiss me on the cheek and wish me a happy hulla, that is so kewl, I remeber when most of the scene was like that. This party blew me away, I was the guy on the middle platform with the glowsticks that seemed to get alot of attention, for anyone who remebers me there...

I would like to say that this night actually helped to renew alot of thought lost faith in a scene that use to be great..

I am sorry to know only 2 left, but I will be there with bells on for both of them
A gradual process in which something changes into a different and usually more complex or better form.
Old February 6th, 2005, 09:58 PM   #19
toad
Hullaboarder

Send a message via MSN to toad
Well of you dont think that Hulla is a rave then I dont know what you would call one, cuz that was a true definition of a rave in my books great vibe, (you could feel the PLUR in the air), everybody dancing and kick ass tooones!!!!!!!!

Well this was my first Hulla in 4 years and Im glad that the vibe hasent changed one bit!!

Scoots, d- and sharkey all played top notch sets, but Capital J was off the Hook !!!! I danced right in front of the stage for his whole set!!

Although I had a couple bad experiences falling down stairs last night one time i fell down the steps from the bar to the upper balcony with 2 beers in my hand and when i got up i only had two half full beers and I was soaked and the top stair going down to the washroom always moved on you when you stepped on it.

I met lots of cool peeps at this jam and traded lots of candy, I was the guy wearing a yellow hoodie, black pants, green hat and lots of candy!!

Ill definetly try to make it out for the last two!!!
Old February 6th, 2005, 10:52 PM   #20
basic
Hullaboarder

Location: Lurking in the bushes outside Chef Boyardee's house
Send a message via MSN to basic
the trolls like to be fed
Old February 6th, 2005, 11:03 PM   #21
astralkid
Hullaboarder

Photos: 1  Users Photo Gallery
The only reason I keep going back is because of the music, and if you don't like the music I doubt you would enjoy it...

Last edited by astralkid : February 6th, 2005 at 11:10 PM.
Old February 6th, 2005, 11:11 PM   #22
orbz
Hullaboarder

Photos: 3  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via MSN to orbz
i wouldn't call it a rave, i'd call it a party, a rave was something that happened in the late 80s/early 90s in abandoned warehouses or whatever property they broke into and used.

and it was a fucking excellent party.
Old February 6th, 2005, 11:42 PM   #23
basic
Hullaboarder

Location: Lurking in the bushes outside Chef Boyardee's house
Send a message via MSN to basic
Quote:
Originally Posted by basic
the trolls like to be fed

Old February 6th, 2005, 11:49 PM   #24
dubbaman
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to dubbaman
hulla

i dont see how you dont classify hulla as a rave, you have people in their candy, glowsticks and bells.. and always something new. a party in the states is normally held at a club downtown, where people are all dressed up in button downs and its not a tight crowd as is at a rave.

and i must say this has been my first hulla since the "docks incident" and my only complaint is the location, i miss the old hulla's where there were two rooms, multiple sets. and most importantly didnt have stairs that try to kill you on the way to the bathroom.

other than that everything was the same as i can remeber, the people are great, the music was off the hook--this was the second time i got to see sharkey at hulla and he blew away my expectations. but capital J...amazing i am seriously thinking about going to destiny next week to see him.

i thought this was going to be my last hulla but after last night i know ill be there in april and ....well every other event i can get tickets for

anyone else going to destiny.. oh yea lady dana is coming friday, for those who are looking for a hard hard insane dj for times when hulla is gone i strongly suggest to check her out...

FROLIC CAN YOU PLEASE O PLEASE O PLEASE GET VENOM TO PLAY ONE OF THE REMAINING HULLAS>>>>>>
Old February 6th, 2005, 11:54 PM   #25
itsgigglegirl
Friendship Crew

Photos: 3  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to itsgigglegirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbz
i wouldn't call it a rave, i'd call it a party, a rave was something that happened in the late 80s/early 90s in abandoned warehouses or whatever property they broke into and used.

and it was a fucking excellent party.

after having attended "raves" out here in california, I would be more inclined to call hulla a rave and the events here "parties"...the parties here draw tens of thousands of people and are EXTREMELY commercial...hulla is still small and relatively underground (if you were to name drop "Anabolic Frolic" and "Paul Oakenfold", more people would react to the latter than the former)...i guess it really depends on your perspective and experiences...i never got to experience the true underground broken-into-warehouses parties, so hulla's a "real rave" to me

but it really doesn't matter...hullas are what they are to everyone, and by and large they're amazing and great and beautiful and wonderful...it's too bad jeffiner can't see it that way

You can't miss me, I'm the girl with the smile

Shake like an earthquake, and cut like a guillotine