User Name
Password
Home Forum Gallery Arcade Journals FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old March 26th, 2006, 07:09 AM   #1
CareSieB
Hullaboarder

Photos: 24  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 4 View Users Journal
Send a message via ICQ to CareSieB Send a message via AIM to CareSieB Send a message via MSN to CareSieB Send a message via Yahoo to CareSieB
Gunman Kills 6, then self at Rave

By JACKSON HOLTZ, Associated Press Writer 1 hour, 46 minutes ago

SEATTLE - The private party following a "zombie rave" was winding down when a man walked out, returned to the house wearing bandoliers of shotgun shells and opened fire on the young crowd, police said.
ADVERTISEMENT

Six people were killed and another was critically injured as he fired dozens of rounds, police said. Outside, he fatally shot himself when confronted by police.

Police said it appeared to be the city's worst mass killing since 1983's Wah Mee massacre, when 13 died in an attack at a gambling club.

"It's one of the largest crime scenes the city has ever had," Police Chief Gil Kerlikowske said.

The victims — many with their faces painted and hair dyed for the zombie-themed rave — were in their late teens and early 20s, police said. None had been identified publicly. Police said they didn't know the motive.

Officers found three dead in the living room, one at the front door and another on the porch steps. One victim died at Harborview Medical Center, where another was in extremely critical condition and the third was stable, the nursing supervisor said.

About 20 people had gathered at the two-story rental house after a Friday night rave called "Better Off Undead" in the Capitol Hill neighborhood. Some of the guests were "made up to look as if they were dead," Kerlikowske said.

The shooter, described as a local man in his late 20s and dressed in black, left around 7 a.m. Saturday, police said. He went to his black Dodge pickup truck and turned around.

As the gunman walked the half block back to the house, he spray painted the word "NOW" in orange twice on the sidewalk and once on the steps of a neighbor's home, police said.

He forced his way back inside the house and started shooting, police said. Unable to enter an upstairs bathroom where a young couple were hiding, he fired through the door before leaving. They were unharmed.

An officer in the neighborhood heard the shots and arrived to find a victim staggering out of the house with a gunshot wound, Kerlikowske said. The officer confronted the man with a shotgun but got no further than "Drop your ..." before the man put the barrel in his mouth and pulled the trigger, the chief said.

The shooter also had a handgun, police said, but primarily used the 12-gauge pistol-grip shotgun. In his truck, police found an assault rife and multiple "banana clips" carrying 30 bullets each.

Police said they did not know if drugs or alcohol were a factor, though Kerlikowske said marijuana and alcohol were found in the house.

Neighbor Cesar Clemente, 25, said he called 911 when he heard the shots. He looked outside to see people fleeing, and two people huddling in the bushes. He called to them. A man made it to his front entryway, shot in the arm and the abdomen. The other collapsed in the bushes.

Clemente asked the man what happened. He said only, "I've been peppered." Medics quickly took him away, leaving behind a few shotgun pellets on the floor.

Nancie Thorne told The Seattle Times that her 15-year-old daughter, Suzanne, was in the house when the man opened fire. She hadn't heard if her daughter survived.

"It's the worst phone call a mom can get," Thorne said, crying. "She shouldn't have gone to the rave. I've never approved of those things. ... I just hope to God she's alive. And if she is, she's grounded for life."

Hospital officials said the girl was not there.
Old March 26th, 2006, 07:10 AM   #2
CareSieB
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to CareSieB Send a message via AIM to CareSieB Send a message via MSN to CareSieB Send a message via Yahoo to CareSieB
This was a hardcore/happy hardcore party! I knew some of the people at it and some of the people playing at it. DJ Jimnicricket who has posted here was playing at this party and Delta 9 was the headliner...
I cant IMAGINE something like this happening at a party I was involved with....
My heart goes out to everyone involved
CareSieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2006, 08:55 AM   #3
Snuffy
Hullaboarder

Photos: 1  Users Photo Gallery
I went to one queer afterhours event in Seattle. One guy was totally dressed out in rave gear so I went up and said hi... very unfriendly. I had another incident with another guy when I bumped into him and he totally went off on me. I had the feeling that these two were on meth with the way they were acting. It's a huge problem in Vancouver / Seattle. I'm not surprised.
Snuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2006, 10:07 AM   #4
anabolic frolic
Administrator

Photos: 125  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 5 View Users Journal
Quote:
Originally Posted by CareSieB
This was a hardcore/happy hardcore party!

Well, it's important to note it happened at a house after-party, not the rave itself. Although Hulla's history shows bad shit can happen anywhere.
anabolic frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2006, 02:24 PM   #5
kandeegirl2
Sweetness and Light Mod

Photos: 29  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 3 View Users Journal
Send a message via ICQ to kandeegirl2 Send a message via AIM to kandeegirl2 Send a message via Yahoo to kandeegirl2
it wasn't at the party is right it was an afterparty.
i went to a party in seattle and it wasn't bad at all. no violence or anything. something is not available for the public. there had to been something to motivate him to do so.
who knows?
Old March 26th, 2006, 04:17 PM   #6
CareSieB
Hullaboarder

The media sure did a crappy job of reporting this. No, it didn't happen at the rave, it was an afterparty like was said above.
Old March 26th, 2006, 05:08 PM   #7
happy1
Hullaboarder

this is some scary@#$%! why do people do such crazy things like this? and the media did report badly on this.
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2006, 05:09 PM   #8
anabolic frolic
Administrator

rave or not, yeah, that's a complete horror show. To have a gunman walking around with a shotgun blowing people away. can't even imagine.
Old March 27th, 2006, 01:02 AM   #9
Snuffy
Hullaboarder

Apparently, the victims didn't personally know the guy who did the shooting. They were just being friendly and invited him over. This is so sad.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/AP.../D8GJKT1O9.html
Old March 27th, 2006, 01:12 AM   #10
CareSieB
Hullaboarder

i know i will never be inviting people over to my house i dont know, and i dont go to after parties as a general rule unless its at my house
The Hardcore scene is so small, close friends of mine loss close friends in this
Old March 27th, 2006, 01:17 AM   #11
DJLeash
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to DJLeash
Wow, that's messed right up.
Scarey ass shit.
or
www.myspace.com/djleash
DJLeash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 11:02 AM   #12
anabolic frolic
Administrator

Seattle murders leave ravers in shock
Mar. 26, 2006. 09:10 PM
JACKSON HOLTZ
ASSOCIATED PRESS

SEATTLE — Raves — all-night dance parties where the young go to lose themselves in thumping, bass-laden electronic music — foster a strong sense of community, the kind of trust that prompts people to invite a stranger home.

That trust was snuffed out in Seattle this weekend along with many lives after an armed man apparently turned his arsenal on those who had embraced him as a new friend.

"We're probably the only community in society that would have welcomed somebody so easily," said Travis Webb, a Seattle rave promoter, the day after six young people were killed at a Seattle house party.

Now, the community is in shock following the apparent random act of violence. Many are afraid that in addition to losing their friends, their whole scene may disappear.

"It's almost a double punishment," Webb said. "You loose six people that are so close, and then you might lose the community that brought you all together in the first place."

Authorities identified the alleged shooter as Aaron Kyle Huff, 28, who moved to Seattle nearly five years ago from Whitefish, Mont. Police said the shooter turned the gun on himself when an officer confronted him early Saturday morning.

Police, city officials and the media are scrutinizing the rave community for clues to how Huff made his way to an early morning after-party.

Organizers said about 500 people attended the "Better Off Undead" rave Friday night. Afterward, some made their way to a house party already underway in a nearby residential neighbourhood. Someone invited Huff, police said.

Raves — dance parties that attract young people ages 16 to 24 — often are themed events where people dress up in Halloween-like outfits and paint their faces. On Friday, many were dressed like zombies in dark clothing and pale make up.

It was at an early morning after-party that police say Huff, heavily armed, opened fire killing four men and two women before killing himself. Seattle Police Chief Gil Kerlikowske called the aftermath one of the biggest crime scenes in city history.

The victim's identities have not yet been released. Relatives of two victims, Jeremy Martin, 26, and Christopher Williamson, 21, confirmed that they were among the dead. Two people remained hospitalized, both in serious condition at Harvorview Medical Center.

While friends of the victims said they didn't know who invited the suspect, they said the invite wasn't unusual.

"I've invited people to after-parties many times," said 28-year-old Roger Platt, who left the party 15 minutes before the shooting.

Ravers said the after-parties are mellow early morning affairs. People hang, chill out and wait for buses to start running again.

Rebecca Bouslaugh, 17, of Seattle, said she often invites 10 or more friends over to her place after a rave, but she has rules. Only people she knows, she said, are invited.

For her, the rave scene is about being accepted for who she is.

"At raves, people are out there to have fun," she said. "We don't judge people.''

Several ravers, some of whom gathered at a makeshift memorial near the crime scene Sunday morning, said the parties are one of the few places young people can go to feel welcomed regardless of looks or background. Many have several piercings in their ears, nose and lips.

They go to the parties to lose themselves in thumping, bass-laden electronic music.

Typically no alcohol is served, but many say drugs are a part of the scene.

"The drugs are unreal," said Chris Meyer, 22, who stopped going because of the drugs. "The more and more I went, it was just people sitting around on the floor.''

Meyers said partygoers favourite drug is ecstasy, or MDMA, a man-made substance that makes people feel tipsy, trusting, loving and warm toward others.

Any entertainment event has its share of drug abuse, but the rave scene is unfairly pigeonholed, said Webb, who attended only the larger party. While he acknowledges some kids still use drugs, he said he's seen a decline in drug use over the last year.

Police said alcohol and marijuana were found at the murder scene, but they have not linked the gruesome events to drug use.

For now, Webb says most of the 300 or so friends from the rave circuit are laying low, trying to duck media attention, mourn their friends and figure out what's next.

He said he's working with other Seattle rave promoters to organize a free, daytime memorial rave, "so people can see that we're not a bunch of kids hiding in the basement.''

Webb said he and other ravers fear police or city officials might use Saturday morning's shootings as an excuse to shut down the parties.
Old March 27th, 2006, 11:02 AM   #13
anabolic frolic
Administrator

Killer unknown guest at rave
Six dead; worst mass-killing in Seattle since 1983
Police unclear on motive as shooter commits suicide
Mar. 27, 2006. 04:52 AM
JACKSON HOLTZ
ASSOCIATED PRESS

SEATTLE—The ravers didn't know Aaron Kyle Huff, and don't know who invited him to their after-party.

In the culture of raves, all-night dance parties, where they say young people feel welcomed regardless of looks or background, such questions normally aren't important.

But their trust was shattered Saturday morning, when Huff opened fire in a house full of ravers dressed like zombies in dark clothing and pale makeup, killing six people — four men and two women — and injuring two.

About 20 people had gathered at the two-storey rental house, said Seattle police Chief Gil Kerlikowske.

The 28-year-old Huff, from Montana, fired a 12-gauge pistol-grip shotgun and wore bandoliers of shotgun shells.

He killed himself when confronted by a police officer outside the home.

It appeared to be the city's worst mass killing since 1983's Wah Mee massacre, police said, when 13 died in an attack at a gambling club. Police said they didn't know the motive for the shooting. There were no fights or arguments, Kerlikowske said.

Huff is reported to have left the party around 7 a.m. He went to his black Dodge pickup truck, then forced his way back inside the house, firing his gun.

An officer in the neighbourhood heard the shots and arrived to find a wounded victim staggering out of the house, Kerlikowske said.

Officers found three dead in the living room, one at the front door and another on the porch steps.

One victim died at Harborview Medical Center, where another was in extremely critical condition. A third victim was stable, the nursing supervisor said.

Some who knew Huff could not believe he was a suspect.

The black-garbed shooter lived with his twin brother in a North Seattle apartment and was described by Jim Pickett, the building's assistant manager, as very respectful.

"This would have been so far out of character," Pickett said. The brothers, he said, were private and good tenants.

Officials searched the twin's apartment Saturday night and police spokesman Sean Whitcomb said they found an assault rifle, multiple "banana clips" carrying 30 bullets each, a machete and several hundred more rounds of ammunition.

Whitcomb said the gunman was "extremely dangerous" and it was fortunate there weren't more victims.

Seattle police had not released Huff's identity yesterday, but Montana's Flathead County sheriff's Lieut. Dave Leib said that after talking with authorities there he informed Huff's mother yesterday afternoon that her son was dead.

Phone messages left at Huff's Seattle apartment and the Huff family home in Whitefish, Mont., were not returned.

Leib said Huff, who went by the name Kyle, was charged with felony criminal mischief in 2000 after shooting a statue of a moose with a shotgun at an art exhibit in Whitefish.

Authorities have not released the victim's identities, but relatives of two victims, Jeremy Martin, 26, and Christopher Williamson, 21, confirmed that they were among the dead.

Yesterday, several ravers gathered at a makeshift memorial near the crime scene.
Old March 27th, 2006, 11:05 AM   #14
anabolic frolic
Administrator

So sad.
Old March 27th, 2006, 11:40 AM   #15
EvoldicA
Friendship Crew

Send a message via AIM to EvoldicA
I've been reading about this stuff today, and I really wish I could do something about it. :/
EvoldicA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 11:44 AM   #16
anabolic frolic
Administrator

Anyone visiting the Seattle message boards? I'm curious what the mood is. I imagine it can get pretty angry, which would be a natural response at this time.
Old March 27th, 2006, 02:01 PM   #17
Everybodies_Daddy
Hullaboarder

Photos: 8  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 25 View Users Journal
Send a message via ICQ to Everybodies_Daddy
That's horrible to hear.

It would have been so much worse if he'd gone in with the assault rifle.

Hot + Dirty
Everybodies_Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 02:11 PM   #18
Everybodies_Daddy
Hullaboarder

Photos: 8  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 25 View Users Journal
Send a message via ICQ to Everybodies_Daddy
http://www.nwtekno.org/vb/showthread.php?threadid=98954

There's also a thread for people to check in, and let their friends know they're OK.
Everybodies_Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 02:19 PM   #19
CareSieB
Hullaboarder

the message boards are mostly somber, the only anger is at dumb people harrassing them..
Old March 27th, 2006, 04:20 PM   #20
Snuffy
Hullaboarder

I went to the party with the murder at The Docks. It took me a while to separate the party that I loved from such a horrific event. These murderers were never part of my scene. They’re like cancer.
Old March 27th, 2006, 04:30 PM   #21
brandymandycandy
Hullaboarder

Photos: 11  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brandymandycandy Send a message via Yahoo to brandymandycandy
I've read a few articles on this...and I'm speechless
My heart goes out to the friends and families
of the victims
Old March 27th, 2006, 06:53 PM   #22
happy1
Hullaboarder

Unhappy

same here. i feel for all the families of the people killed.
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 07:34 PM   #23
Robb Peppertree
Hullaboarder

Send a message via MSN to Robb Peppertree
Ya, the media is doing a poor job of covering this.

... alot of Seattle ravers are pretty pissed about that.
Robb Peppertree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 11:05 PM   #24
ThaLastX-hile
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to ThaLastX-hile Send a message via Yahoo to ThaLastX-hile
yeah, i just heard about this after i got home from work today this is a sad and tragic happening
Old March 28th, 2006, 04:36 PM   #25
Weaver
Hullaboarder

Photos: 11  Users Photo Gallery
of course the media covers it badly, it's related to a rave and the media has to portray raves as evil or they get fired.