anabolic frolic
Administrator

Photos: 125  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 5 View Users Journal
Bush backs federal marriage amendment

Bush backs federal marriage amendment

By DEB RIECHMANN, Associated Press Writer 1 hour, 42 minutes ago

WASHINGTON -
President Bush on Saturday backed a resolution to amend the Constitution to define marriage as a union between a man and a woman even though the idea has little chance of being passed in the Senate.

"Ages of experience have taught us that the commitment of a husband and a wife to love and to serve one another promotes the welfare of children and the stability of society," Bush said in his Saturday radio address. "Marriage cannot be cut off from its cultural, religious and natural roots without weakening this good influence on society."

Democrats say Senate floor time is being wasted on the issue, and accuse Republicans of making a pre-midterm election appeal to social conservatives whose votes were key to Bush's re-election.

This November, initiatives banning same-sex marriages are expected to be on the ballot in Idaho, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Virginia and Wisconsin.

"Sadly, President Bush is playing election-year politics with this divisive issue," the Rev. Barry W. Lynn, executive director of Americans United for Separation of Church and State, said Friday. "He is shamelessly using this ploy to energize his right-wing base. We should never rewrite the Constitution to enshrine intolerance."

The White House said Bush did not devote his radio address to the issue or decide to host a presidential event Monday to again endorse the amendment because it is politically expedient, but because there's a vote on it scheduled next week in the Senate.

"On Monday, I will meet with a coalition of community leaders, constitutional scholars, family and civic organizations and religious leaders," Bush said in urging Congress to pass the amendment and send it to the states for ratification. "They're Republicans, Democrats and independents who've come together to support this amendment."

The amendment would prohibit states from recognizing same-sex marriages. To become law, the proposal would need two-thirds support in the Senate and House, and then would have to be ratified by at least 38 state legislatures.

Bush said the amendment would fully protect marriage from being redefined, while leaving state legislatures free to make their own choices in defining legal arrangements other than marriage.

It stands little chance of passing the 100-member Senate, where proponents are struggling to get even 50 votes. Several Republicans oppose the measure, and so far only one Democrat — Sen. Ben Nelson (news, bio, voting record) of Nebraska — has said he will vote for it.

Acknowledging that emotions often run hot in this debate, Bush urged calm.

"As this debate goes forward, we must remember that every American deserves to be treated with tolerance, respect and dignity," he said. "All of us have a duty to conduct this discussion with civility and decency toward one another, and all people deserve to have their voices heard."

David Buckel, Marriage Project director of Lambda Legal, a national organization working to protect the rights of lesbians, gay men and others, said the amendment would be damaging to the lives of same-sex couples and families, which raise millions of children.

"It would brand lesbian and gay men as legally inferior individuals," he said. "It would write into the supreme law of the land that this group of people are inferior and when it's the law, it's a message to everyone else in society that they have license to discriminate."

In his radio address, Bush struck back at judges who have overturned state laws similar in intent to the proposed legislation.

"Unfortunately, activist judges and some local officials have made an aggressive attempt to redefine marriage in recent years," the president said.

Bush said there is broad consensus in America to protect the institution of marriage.

Voters in 19 states have approved amendments to their state constitutions that protect the traditional definition of marriage, he said. Moreover, he said, 45 of the 50 states have either a state constitutional amendment or statute defining marriage as the union of a man and a woman.
anabolic frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2006, 01:00 PM   #2
anabolic frolic
Administrator

I honestly don't understand why people get so freaked out over this.

Canada has had gay marriage for over 4 years, with thousands and thousands of them, and things have hardly gone to shit around here.

My marriage is certainly not affected in the least by it!

Before we know it, Canada will have had gay marriage for 10+ years, and then a generation, and it's probably not going to make one lick of difference. Except promote a more tolerant society, of course.
Old June 3rd, 2006, 04:18 PM   #3
No Typical Raver
Friendship Crew

Photos: 24  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 1 View Users Journal
Send a message via AIM to No Typical Raver Send a message via Yahoo to No Typical Raver
Quote:
Originally Posted by anabolic frolic
Except promote a more tolerant society, of course.

WE SIMPLY CANNOT HAVE THAT IN

This guy will be the entire reason I stop lurking here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sim
i cant even imagine what goes on inside your head day by day. but whatever it is it must be awesome.
No Typical Raver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2006, 05:17 PM   #4
CareSieB
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 4 View Users Journal
Send a message via ICQ to CareSieB Send a message via AIM to CareSieB Send a message via MSN to CareSieB Send a message via Yahoo to CareSieB
I dont understand why people have to intrude on others private lives. I dont give a damn who anyone marries, it isnt my business, it isnt ANYONES business...
The whole thing pisses me off to no end
Old June 3rd, 2006, 06:37 PM   #5
AznAstronaut
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to AznAstronaut
Hey, just in time for midterm elections too! How fucking convenient. :|
AznAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2006, 06:54 PM   #6
anabolic frolic
Administrator

I've been trying to see if there has been a spike in US -> Canada immigration since Bush got back in. So far I can't find those stats.
Old June 4th, 2006, 06:16 AM   #7
Glyce
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 8 View Users Journal
Send a message via AIM to Glyce Send a message via MSN to Glyce
I remember hearing that right after the election, something like 3,000 people ended up moving to canada in the time. Can't remember if it was months or what, but a lot of people did end up straight up moving.
Old June 4th, 2006, 06:26 AM   #8
AznAstronaut
Hullaboarder

I saw a newspaper clipping on some professor's door on campus a while back that noted the IMMENSE surge in traffic (maybe 10-fold?) to Canada's immigration website in the days following the 2000 election results. The immigration officer/representative/whatever who was contacted for the story confirmed the uptick in web traffic but didn't have the necessary information yet to tell if there was a corresponding increase in actual applications.

It'd be interesting to see a year-to-year graph of US->Canada immigration stats going back ~10 years.
Old June 5th, 2006, 10:28 PM   #9
astralkid
Hullaboarder

Photos: 1  Users Photo Gallery
Its actually funny how these Christian nuts belief's can be easily manipulated by politicians
astralkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 04:13 PM   #10
kylefabulous
Queen Bitch Mod

Send a message via ICQ to kylefabulous Send a message via AIM to kylefabulous Send a message via Yahoo to kylefabulous
so it looks like the senate shut down the bill... by a long shot... it won't even make it to the states... THANK YOU !!!
kylefabulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 04:20 PM   #11
No Typical Raver
Friendship Crew

Send a message via AIM to No Typical Raver Send a message via Yahoo to No Typical Raver
Santorum wants to make fellatio and masturbation illegal LOL
No Typical Raver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 05:45 PM   #12
DJLeash
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to DJLeash
DAMMIT.
If they make masturbation illegal I'll die. For real. They'll have to chop off my hands.
or
www.myspace.com/djleash
DJLeash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 11:54 PM   #13
kylefabulous
Queen Bitch Mod

Send a message via ICQ to kylefabulous Send a message via AIM to kylefabulous Send a message via Yahoo to kylefabulous
haha... i like a good wank myself...
but seriously...

i hate bush so fucking much...

there i said it
kylefabulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2006, 11:53 AM   #14
Remman4
Hullaboarder

Photos: 10  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Remman4
a gay man hating bush?

hahahaahahah

The thing that kills me is that he honestly thinks he is doing the right thing...

good intentions ruin the world!

libertarian values own me!
Remman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2006, 09:54 PM   #15
the architech
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to the architech
i dont think he really cares about the issue at hand, he's doing it to try to boost his ratings. granted, we all hate him, but unfortunately a lot of people in the US agree with him on that.
the architech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2006, 10:49 PM   #16
anabolic frolic
Administrator

I wonder how there can be "Gay Republicans" organization?
Old June 10th, 2006, 08:59 AM   #17
AznAstronaut
Hullaboarder

The Log Cabin Republicans stand with Republicans on issues of small government (hah!), state rights (double hah!), low taxes (it's all 'user fees' these days, don't call it a tax), etc., etc., while respectfully disagreeing with the rest of their party on issues of Gay rights. It's a little strange, but not so completely off the wall.
Old June 13th, 2006, 02:37 AM   #18
Troile
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Troile
Ronald Reagan - divorced the mother of two of his children to marry Nancy Reagan, who bore him a daughter only 7 months after the marriage.

Bob Dole - divorced the mother of his child, who had nursed him through the long recovery from his war wounds.

Newt Gingrich - divorced his wife who was dying of cancer.

Dick Armey - House Majority Leader - divorced

Sen. Phil Gramm of Texas - divorced

Gov. John Engler of Michigan - divorced

Gov. Pete Wilson of California - divorced

George Will - divorced

Sen. Lauch Faircloth - divorced

Rush Limbaugh - Rush and his current wife Marta have six marriages and four divorces between them.

Rep. Bob Barr of Georgia - Barr, not yet 50 years old, has been married three times. Barr had the audacity to author and push the "Defense of Marriage Act." The current joke making the rounds on Capitol Hill is "Bob Barr...WHICH marriage are you defending?!?

Sen. Alfonse D'Amato of New York - divorced

Sen. John Warner of Virginia - divorced (once married to Liz Taylor.)

Gov. George Allen of Virginia - divorced

Henry Kissinger - divorced

Rep. Helen Chenoweth of Idaho - divorced

Sen. John McCain of Arizonia - divorced

Rep. John Kasich of Ohio - divorced

Rep. Susan Molinari of New York - Republican National Convention Keynote Speaker - divorced