User Name
Password
Home Forum Gallery Arcade Journals FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old June 3rd, 2006, 04:13 PM   #1
No Typical Raver
Friendship Crew

Photos: 24  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 1 View Users Journal
Send a message via AIM to No Typical Raver Send a message via Yahoo to No Typical Raver
17 Terror Suspects Arrested in Toronto

Quote:
TORONTO (June 3) - Canadian authorities said Saturday they had foiled plans for terrorist attacks in southern Ontario with the arrests of 17 people who were "inspired by al-Qaida."

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police said they had arrested 12 male adults and five youths on terrorism-related charges, including plotting attacks with explosives on Canadian targets. The suspects were either citizens or residents of Canada and had trained together, they said.

"This group took steps to acquire three tons of ammonium nitrate and other components necessary to create explosive devices," said assistant Royal Canadian Mounted Police commissioner Mike McDonell.

That is three times the amount used to blow up the Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City, he said, referring to the April 19, 1995, attack that killed 168 people and injured more than 800.

"The men arrested yesterday are Canadian residents from a variety of backgrounds. For various reasons, they appeared to have become adherents of a violent ideology inspired by al-Qaida," said Luc Portelance, the assistant director of operations with CSIS _ Canada's spy agency.

However, he said, there did not appear to be any direct link to Osama bin Laden's terrorist network.

Officials showed evidence of bomb making materials _ including a cell phone-bomb detonator _ a computer hard drive, camouflage uniforms and what appeared to be a door with bullet holes in it at a news conference Saturday.

The arrests were made Friday and about 400 officers were involved in the operation.

Heavily armed police ringed the Durham Regional Police Station in the city of Pickering, just east of Toronto, as the suspects were brought in late Friday night in unmarked cars driven into an underground garage.

The Toronto Star reported Saturday that Canadian youths in their teens and 20s, upset at the treatment of Muslims worldwide, were among those arrested.

The newspaper said they had trained at a camp north of Toronto and had plotted to attack the Canadian spy agency's downtown Toronto office, among other targets in Ontario province.

In March 2004, Ottawa software developer Mohammad Momin Khawaja became the first Canadian charged under the country's Anti-Terrorism Act. Khawaja was also named, but not charged, in Britain for playing a role in a foiled bomb plot. He is being held in an Ottawa detention center, awaiting trial.

The Canadian anti-terrorism law was passed swiftly following the Sept. 11 assaults, particularly after bin-Laden named Canada as one of five so-called Christian nations that should be targeted for terror attacks.

The other four countries, reaffirmed in 2004 by his al-Qaida network, were the United States, Britain, Spain and Australian, all of which have been targeted in terrorist attacks.

The anti-terrorism law permits the government to brand individuals and organizations as terrorists and gives police the power to make preventive arrests of people suspected of planning attacks.

Though many view Canada as an unassuming neutral nation that has skirted terrorist attacks, it has suffered its share of aggression, including the 1985 Air India bombing, in which 329 people were killed, most of them Canadian citizens.

Intelligence officials suspect at least 50 terror groups now have some presence in the North American nation and have long complained that the country's immigration laws and border security are too weak to weed out potential terrorists.

thats from aol which we all know sucks. heres the CNN link. they'll update as more develops

CNN's coverage of the story

This guy will be the entire reason I stop lurking here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sim
i cant even imagine what goes on inside your head day by day. but whatever it is it must be awesome.
No Typical Raver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 11:52 AM   #2
heatheraloo
Hullaboarder

why would anyone want to hurt Toronto?? I mean.. its Toronto! I dont feel as safe in my own back yard than I do in downtown T-dot..

PLUR makes my privates tingle
heatheraloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 05:47 PM   #3
DJLeash
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to DJLeash
hopefully this won't affect us crossing the border and stuff.
or
www.myspace.com/djleash
DJLeash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2006, 03:25 AM   #4
Snuffy
Hullaboarder

Photos: 1  Users Photo Gallery
Despite leaving classified documents in an unlocked car and on the subway, I will NEVER make fun of our precious spy agency again. Go CISIS!!!
Snuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2006, 07:30 AM   #5
kylefabulous
Queen Bitch Mod

Send a message via ICQ to kylefabulous Send a message via AIM to kylefabulous Send a message via Yahoo to kylefabulous
the headline tonight on detroit local news was

" terrosist suspects arrested in toronto... be prepared to spend extra time at your next border crossing...."

that was somewhat quoted...

basically we're gonna be slightly more strict
kylefabulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2006, 01:34 PM   #6
Kamehameha
Hullaboarder

^^ ya i heard the same thing...might just be temperary tho.

I thought it was fucked up how they were canadian born. Why would you wanna do something like that to your own country? ..if you need to get laid that badly just get a effin' hooker, jeez.