Password
Home Forum Gallery Arcade Journals FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old November 8th, 2006, 11:19 AM   #1
Remman4
Hullaboarder

Photos: 10  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Remman4
Ohio-tario?

Ohio freakin passed a non smoking law yesterday...

I am so stoked, takes effect in 30 days, no more smoking in public enclosed spaces!!!!!!!

Yeeha!

for the record I don't like the politics of it (libertarian) but I can put that aside for the benefits I will reap!

Remman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 11:22 AM   #2
Pompiidou
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to Pompiidou
i dont smoke but i still think its crap to make people go outside. what about bars and restaurants? theyre business will be shot to hell. i think its stupid.
Pompiidou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 01:07 PM   #3
Guardian419
Hullaboarder

Photos: 3  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Guardian419
Im from Ohio, I quit smoking... but you know what.... fuck ohio's laws.
Guardian419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 01:11 PM   #4
No Typical Raver
Friendship Crew

Photos: 24  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 1 View Users Journal
Send a message via AIM to No Typical Raver Send a message via Yahoo to No Typical Raver
Did It Pass? Oh God I Am So Fucking Happy!

This guy will be the entire reason I stop lurking here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sim
i cant even imagine what goes on inside your head day by day. but whatever it is it must be awesome.
No Typical Raver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 01:52 PM   #5
Weaver
Hullaboarder

Photos: 11  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 4 View Users Journal
why is it crap to make people who smoke go outside?

its THEIR choice to smoke, not the people's who don't. If someone wants to smoke, I shouldn't have to as well just because I'm in the same room as they are.
Old November 8th, 2006, 02:21 PM   #6
sporkacide
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to sporkacide
Ditto. I shouldn't have sit and breathe in smoke just because someone wants a cig at the dinner table or with a drink.

it's ok, i'm white.
sporkacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 02:27 PM   #7
heatheraloo
Hullaboarder

agreed. do what you want with your body as long as it doesnt AFFECT anyone else..and obviously second-hand smoke does.

PLUR makes my privates tingle
heatheraloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 02:27 PM   #8
No Typical Raver
Friendship Crew

Send a message via AIM to No Typical Raver Send a message via Yahoo to No Typical Raver
i'd like to take this opportunity to invite everyone to LOL at the smokers who are outside in the snow smoking at restaraunts and bars in a month or so
Old November 8th, 2006, 02:27 PM   #9
peachfuzz
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to peachfuzz Send a message via Yahoo to peachfuzz
meh, they should at least allow businesses to pay a fee if they want to have smoking in their establishments... though they should be forced to put a sign up that says "smoking allowed here". then, non-smokers could chose to either go into that place or go somewhere else.

this law does hurt businesses, a lot actually. besides, when you're getting sloshed at a bar, the smoke inside shouldn't be the chiefest of your concerns.
peachfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 02:35 PM   #10
No Typical Raver
Friendship Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachfuzz

this law does hurt businesses, a lot actually. besides, when you're getting sloshed at a bar, the smoke inside shouldn't be the chiefest of your concerns.

what should be then? getting home? the effects of alcohol? responsible drinkers will have a DD or a taxi or not get that drunk at all, anyone who acts otherwise is probably gonna end up dead or seriously hurt (hey you drink and drive, you kinda deserve it). and if you're in a bar to get wasted thats your choice and you're going there to do just that knowing the consequences, however you shouldnt have to be exposed to a known cancer causing agent as well against your will

NOW, look on the bright side! the carpentry and construcion industry will get a major boost due to clubs not wanting to lose their crowds and building large decks and patios outside
Old November 8th, 2006, 03:17 PM   #11
Remman4
Hullaboarder

Photos: 10  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Remman4
I read that Florida's nightlife actually showed an increase in revenue upon banning public smoking...

not validated, but interesting though nonetheless...
Remman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 04:18 PM   #12
peachfuzz
Hullaboarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Typical Raver
what should be then? getting home? the effects of alcohol? responsible drinkers will have a DD or a taxi or not get that drunk at all, anyone who acts otherwise is probably gonna end up dead or seriously hurt (hey you drink and drive, you kinda deserve it). and if you're in a bar to get wasted thats your choice and you're going there to do just that knowing the consequences, however you shouldnt have to be exposed to a known cancer causing agent as well against your will

NOW, look on the bright side! the carpentry and construcion industry will get a major boost due to clubs not wanting to lose their crowds and building large decks and patios outside

did you actually read what you just typed, man? heh. a choice between dealing with smoke for a couple of hours, or possibly driving home drunk and crashing/dying. hrm. and you say "responsible", but how many "responsible" drinkers are there, and to add onto that, how many "responsible" dd's are there?

and yes, you should worry about the effects of alcohol as well. if you want to talk long term, like you are talking about cancer, what about cirrhosis? that is just as bad as cancer, and i'm not too sure about the statistics, but they probably match up pretty well with the people who contracted cancer by way of smoking.

drinking leads to loss of inhibition and bad decisions, which i believe is worse than spending a little while around smokers.

besides, why take the rights away from some people, and give them to others? that's descrimination to me. personally, i'm an on/off smoker. i'll smoke for a while, then quit for like four or five months, then smoke for a while again, so i couldn't care about it either way.

what they should do is go back to the old smoking/non-smoking sections. smoking of course being in a different room, so that the people whose pussies hurt in the non-smoking section can't bitch about anything.

and, believe me... the ban does hurt local bars/clubs. i've lived in both columbus, and new york, neither of which you're allowed to smoke anywhere inside. let me tell you, once those bans went into effect, business dropped off STEEPLY.

miami doesn't count because its in florida, and even worse, its part of the bermuda triangle.
Old November 8th, 2006, 04:40 PM   #13
No Typical Raver
Friendship Crew

Quote:
did you actually read what you just typed, man? heh. a choice between dealing with smoke for a couple of hours, or possibly driving home drunk and crashing/dying. hrm. and you say "responsible", but how many "responsible" drinkers are there, and to add onto that, how many "responsible" dd's are there?

and yes, you should worry about the effects of alcohol as well. if you want to talk long term, like you are talking about cancer, what about cirrhosis? that is just as bad as cancer, and i'm not too sure about the statistics, but they probably match up pretty well with the people who contracted cancer by way of smoking.

drinking leads to loss of inhibition and bad decisions, which i believe is worse than spending a little while around smokers.

i'm talking about secondhand smoke. if you go out drinking, you are doing that because you want to, if you smoke, its because you want to. i dont go out drinking because i want to smoke. even if i am causing harm to myself (which occasionally drinking wont really affect much) why should i have further harm caused to me?

the studies are out man, secondhand smoke is VERY dangerous. i like my lungs, they work just fine, and id like to keep it that way.
Old November 8th, 2006, 04:40 PM   #14
No Typical Raver
Friendship Crew

Quote:
besides, why take the rights away from some people, and give them to others? that's descrimination to me.

criminals/politicians.
Old November 8th, 2006, 04:42 PM   #15
peachfuzz
Hullaboarder

i'm just saying that there is no reason to ban it completely when there are much better alternatives.
Old November 8th, 2006, 04:44 PM   #16
No Typical Raver
Friendship Crew

its not banned completely! when you think about it, there are FAR more harsh smoking bans out there like the ones that restrict parks and make you stand so far away from the buildings.

really my main concern was restaraunts. i fucking HATE smoke while i'm eating and the little foot tall glass partition doesnt do shit to separate the sections
Old November 8th, 2006, 04:54 PM   #17
peachfuzz
Hullaboarder

i'll agree with restaurants.
Old November 8th, 2006, 05:04 PM   #18
No Typical Raver
Friendship Crew

i've found that most people will. but to cover that they'd have to ban smoking in establishments that serve food and that covers most bars as well
Old November 8th, 2006, 05:44 PM   #19
Weaver
Hullaboarder

Photos: 11  Users Photo Gallery
most clubs got outdoor smoking sections (here) now anyways, everything seems to be fine. If people really want a cig they don't seem to care that they have to step out to the balcony or what have you for 5 mintues
Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 05:52 PM   #20
mintjellie
Hullaboarder

Photos: 6  Users Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaver
why is it crap to make people who smoke go outside?

its THEIR choice to smoke, not the people's who don't. If someone wants to smoke, I shouldn't have to as well just because I'm in the same room as they are.

You don't have to because you can choose not to be in the same room as them.

My problem with this is that bars and restaurants are not public spaces. They are private spaces owned by private citizens who ideally should have the right to decide what sort of patrons they wish to attract.
Old November 8th, 2006, 05:54 PM   #21
mintjellie
Hullaboarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Typical Raver
its not banned completely! when you think about it, there are FAR more harsh smoking bans out there like the ones that restrict parks and make you stand so far away from the buildings.

really my main concern was restaraunts. i fucking HATE smoke while i'm eating and the little foot tall glass partition doesnt do shit to separate the sections

No one forces you to go to a restaurant.
mintjellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 06:52 PM   #22
peachfuzz
Hullaboarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaver
most clubs got outdoor smoking sections (here) now anyways, everything seems to be fine. If people really want a cig they don't seem to care that they have to step out to the balcony or what have you for 5 mintues

i definitely don't mind in the summer, and usually prefer it to being inside... but in the winter, its damned cold.
Old November 8th, 2006, 11:19 PM   #23
CareSieB
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to CareSieB Send a message via AIM to CareSieB Send a message via MSN to CareSieB Send a message via Yahoo to CareSieB
It passed here a few years ago, and is working out wonderfully! All bars and clubs have put in smoking areas and here the revenue has actually increased for these establishments.
Old November 9th, 2006, 01:32 AM   #24
mintjellie
Hullaboarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareSieB
It passed here a few years ago, and is working out wonderfully! All bars and clubs have put in smoking areas and here the revenue has actually increased for these establishments.

are the smoking areas inside? like and enclosed area with a separate ventilation system? because things like that, it wouldn't surprise me if businesses did better because of it. you attract non-smokers who normally wouldn't go out because of the smoke, and you don't lose any of the smokers during the winter.
mintjellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2006, 01:43 AM   #25
weava
Friendship Crew

Journal Entries: 2 View Users Journal
Send a message via AIM to weava Send a message via MSN to weava Send a message via Yahoo to weava
yea they're like that

i remember being in the smoking bubbles the bars we went to in toronto, i thought they were kinda neat