The HullaBoard  

Go Back   The HullaBoard > Hullabaloo Events > Archives (read-only) > Hullabaloo 10th Anniversary Weekend Celebration
User Name
Password
Home Forum Gallery Arcade Journals FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old March 16th, 2007, 11:29 PM   #1
Hoppapotamus
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to Hoppapotamus
This frightens me a bit...

I know this has been brought up several times, but I recently found this article:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c...2/23/NEVIUS.TMP

Basically what it says is that they are turning people away at the border for any convictions you've had in the past, including small possession of marijuana. It claims that this has always been the rule, but that they are now starting to strictly enforce it.

I'm frightened that I will get turned away at the border, after having spent all this money, time, and energy getting ready, because I have a possession of marijuana charge (misdemeanor) on my record from two years ago.

I think I'll take this route and apply for the temporary resident permit, as it seems to be my only honest option, and I'd like to ensure my entrance into Canada for OMGH:

"Those who have been convicted of an offence OUTSIDE CANADA, and have had 5 years elapse since the termination of the custodial portion (if any) of the sentence imposed (not the sentence served), may apply for a Minister's APPROVAL OF REHABILITATION. The Minister's Approval will permanently remove the inadmissibility caused by conviction.

If less than 5 years have elapsed, or if persons are only seeking entry to Canada for a single or limited period, then they may apply for a TEMPORARY RESIDENT PERMIT."

Anyway, I wanted to share that with you guys, because I'd hate to see anyone have their weekend ruined.

Last edited by Hoppapotamus : March 16th, 2007 at 11:36 PM.
Hoppapotamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 11:52 PM   #2
Hoppapotamus
Hullaboarder

On second thought, since I looked at the application, which is ridiculous and includes contacting the FBI, I don't know what I am going to do.

Man, I am not feeling good about this.
Old March 16th, 2007, 11:56 PM   #3
kangaroOC
Hulla Legacy Member

puhhahaaa. i was just waiting for that post. did you think citizenship is that easy? heyyyyyyyy did ya hear osama's a US citizen now.
kangaroOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 12:04 AM   #4
kangaroOC
Hulla Legacy Member

check this out.a king size bed and some. wtf.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070316...xico_drugs_dc_2
Old March 17th, 2007, 12:05 AM   #5
Hoppapotamus
Hullaboarder

Citizenship? I'm not trying to become a Canadian citizen, just go to Toronto for the weekend.
Old March 17th, 2007, 12:19 AM   #6
dianejapa
Friendship Crew

Photos: 12  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to dianejapa Send a message via AIM to dianejapa
i dont think that it will come up, unless thats info that comes up when they put in a liscense plate number. i've never seen them scan an id card, they usually just look at the pic. or if it actually is something they can find out from your liscernse plate number, then you just drive with someone who's clean. or take the greyhound.

sorry that was a bit rambly
dianejapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 12:33 AM   #7
Hoppapotamus
Hullaboarder

I have no idea what their databases are like, all I know is that the article says that they are now turning people away, and that the databases are now more linked then ever before. That said, I have no idea how accurate the article is. I am however very concerned, because I don't want to be turned away.

The greyhound idea is a good one, I'll look into that. So... I have several questions, that I don't know if anyone can answer. 1. Do they check the ID's of everyone on a Greyhound? My guess is no. 2. If I drove with someone clean, won't they check out everyone in the car? I have never driven across the border, only flown, so I really have no idea what to expect.

Man, this is stressful.
Old March 17th, 2007, 12:35 AM   #8
CareSieB
Hullaboarder

Photos: 24  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 4 View Users Journal
Send a message via ICQ to CareSieB Send a message via AIM to CareSieB Send a message via MSN to CareSieB Send a message via Yahoo to CareSieB
driving is easier than flying, i was reading about that also actually and they really only enforce these laws super hardcore if you fly. I know for people with DUIs they can pay some fee to go into canada, perhaps there is some option like this for other things?
Old March 17th, 2007, 12:41 AM   #9
Hoppapotamus
Hullaboarder

I looked at the application, and it's ridiculous. Fees and tons of hoops to jump through. It suggested I get an immigration lawyer. :/
Old March 17th, 2007, 12:43 AM   #10
kandeegirl2
Sweetness and Light Mod

Photos: 29  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 3 View Users Journal
Send a message via ICQ to kandeegirl2 Send a message via AIM to kandeegirl2 Send a message via Yahoo to kandeegirl2
heidi was worried about that and she just went to canada last weekend for a party and im assuming had no problems......
Old March 17th, 2007, 12:44 AM   #11
Hoppapotamus
Hullaboarder

Thanks! I'll ask her how it went.
Old March 17th, 2007, 12:51 AM   #12
freedom79
Hullaboarder

Man, I have been freakin out about this same stuff, I don't want to get to the boarder and they check my name out, and then say oh sorry you can't enter this country. If that happens I think I would freak out and start crying right there at the border, I hope and pray all goes well for all of us that have stupid misdemeanor charges.

P.L.U.R.R.
freedom79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 01:07 AM   #13
kangaroOC
Hulla Legacy Member

just FYI, when you cross the border from det to Canada they ahve the cameras pointed at the back of your car before you get questioned at customs so they pull up ur plate info before you hit the agent. i doubt you'd have trouble getting in, considering this isn't a high risk time (IE" new years, j4th, etc) but when i crossed the border a few months back with a few people they got stuck at the border and couldn't cross to back in but that may have been for other reasons.

maybe a test run if you have the time, from canada n' back, make a w/e out of it, if not i wouldn't worry. canada's a nice place to kik it.
peace.

Last edited by kangaroOC : March 17th, 2007 at 01:10 AM.
Old March 17th, 2007, 01:19 AM   #14
kangaroOC
Hulla Legacy Member

PLURR
Peace Love Unity Raving...............
what's the extra "R" for?
Old March 17th, 2007, 01:42 AM   #15
Mrs Skittles
Friendship Crew

Photos: 4  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Mrs Skittles
Peace Love Unity Respect Responsibilty

PLURR

~Bob Marley
Mrs Skittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 01:50 AM   #16
Mrs Skittles
Friendship Crew

Photos: 4  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Mrs Skittles
I have a misdemeanor THC possession charge, but it isn't a state or federal charge. It is only a charge from the city that I got it in. I had no problem any of the times that I crossed the border when I drove and I flew in 2005. I am not worried about it. Mine is almost 5 years old and the last time I flew they barely pulled any people into secondary from our flight. It was actually easier than crossing the border by car. Every time that I drove I got pulled into secondary and searched, but they never ran a full background check on any of the people in my car.

I wouldn't worry about it. It is one article from one paper... I know they are really strict as far as DUI's go, but I have not read anything about THC charges until this article.
Mrs Skittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 03:17 AM   #17
kandeegirl2
Sweetness and Light Mod

Photos: 29  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 3 View Users Journal
Send a message via ICQ to kandeegirl2 Send a message via AIM to kandeegirl2 Send a message via Yahoo to kandeegirl2
vanessa@!!! i miss yoU!
kandeegirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 03:42 AM   #18
Snuffy
Hullaboarder

Photos: 1  Users Photo Gallery
People get busted for smoking pot? Yeash.
Snuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 04:42 AM   #19
alania.x
Hulla Legacy Member

Send a message via MSN to alania.x
There were police officers smoking pot at the last football game I went to :P

You probably won't have to worry about it too much.
alania.x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 11:53 AM   #20
CandyGirl23
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to CandyGirl23 Send a message via MSN to CandyGirl23
the border is a LOT more stringent than they used to be. Anyone who is going by their experiences prior to january 2007 will probably be surprised. Since then any time i've crossed, along with my boyfriend returning home from here they've scanned our id's and kept us there til the results come up.

If you have a question, i would call an immigration agent and ask. Some misdemeanors may not restrict your entry to canada, some will.
CandyGirl23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 02:03 PM   #21
heidibear
Hullaboarder

Photos: 11  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 2 View Users Journal
Send a message via AIM to heidibear Send a message via Yahoo to heidibear
we got our id's swiped and searched while going into canada, and Stefan got arrested for stealing a street sign a few years ago and that is on his record... they checked our information TWICE and they didn't say anything about it. so hopefully that article is over exaggerated a little bit. also, stefan pointed this out.... that was over B.C. and there are, from what I understand, legal marijuana bars in B.C. that MIGHT have something to do with it, although I may just be totally wrong about that.

On the website they list in the article it says that ANY misdemeanors will get you turned away, not just drug ones. so we might have just gotten lucky, or they may not be enforcing it as hard as that article suggests.
Old March 17th, 2007, 05:48 PM   #22
alania.x
Hulla Legacy Member

Send a message via MSN to alania.x
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidibear
...that was over B.C. and there are, from what I understand, legal marijuana bars in B.C. that MIGHT have something to do with it, although I may just be totally wrong about that.

... not that I know of But there's lots of hippies in BC, and lots of people who love their green, so I think they tend to be a little more lenient there. If it were legal, then the Holy Smoke in Nelson wouldn't get busted, or discussed in the news so many times.
alania.x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2007, 12:17 AM   #23
snug_bunny
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 2 View Users Journal
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidibear
that was over B.C. and there are, from what I understand, legal marijuana bars in B.C. that MIGHT have something to do with it, although I may just be totally wrong about that.

There are no legal marijuana bars in BC. Pot is not legal so the bars are not legal. It's just "tolerated". It was a lot more chill when I lived out there, but from what I understand from a friend of mine they got more strict about it b/c of goverment changes, they do however,still exist. Toronto actually has one too.
Old March 18th, 2007, 02:45 AM   #24
Andjo
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Andjo Send a message via MSN to Andjo Send a message via Yahoo to Andjo
you shouldnt have too much of a problem. you might get pulled in and questioned further but they wont reject you for a bit of pot. Where are you crossing at? If you are crossing at the Windsor/Detroit crossing, dont use the french/english booth, they tend to be the biggest dicks.
Old March 18th, 2007, 03:08 PM   #25
Hoppapotamus
Hullaboarder

I'm in New Hampshire. I have never driven, so I'm not sure where I should cross.