User Name
Password
Home Forum Gallery Arcade Journals FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old May 19th, 2001, 01:44 PM   #1
ProdigyBoy
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to ProdigyBoy
Arrow

Last year it was announced that i-dance would be an anual event. a lot of things have changed last year and i was wondering if the event will actually be held in toronto again?

with WEMF happening in july i wonder if promoters would be able to come together throw such an event in august?

do we realy need one this year? i don't think we do...
BUT it sure was a great party and nice to see all "PLUR" among the ravers and the rest of the city.

later,
Cameron Bay.

email: thedirtchamber@hotmail.com
Old May 21st, 2001, 01:50 AM   #2
bucky
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to bucky Send a message via AIM to bucky
September 2nd is the date for I-Dance 2001
Old May 21st, 2001, 03:15 PM   #3
Commander Keen
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Commander Keen
do we need to have gay pride day every year?
do we need to celebrate carabanna every year?
no, but it's something to be proud of.
Raving is huge in Toronto, and its about time the city acknowledges it. There is still a lot of misconceptions about raves, despite the success of last years i-dance.
It's something we should be proud of.
Old May 22nd, 2001, 09:02 PM   #4
ProdigyBoy
Hullaboarder

Talking

i missed the hullaboard *g*

thanx for the date of it.

umm i still don't think it is needed in the same way it was before. misconceptions of raves right now is... "they still have them?!"

i'm happy about celecbrating rave culture but don't think it should realy be a political afair. hopefully it will unite the scene and just be fun. (kinda like WEMF but free?)

later,
Cameron Bay.

Old May 23rd, 2001, 01:25 PM   #5
cuggy
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to cuggy
it wont have the same air of political protest that the original idance did, but it would still fare pretty well as a simple culteral fesivle
Old May 24th, 2001, 04:18 PM   #6
ProdigyBoy
Hullaboarder

Arrow

hymm maybe it should be a parade?
yeahhhh call it the ummm PLUR parade *g*

i wonder if the love parade could ever cross seas. that would be hype. we dont have the population for it but it would be fun.

ahhh jiberish,

Cameron Bay.
Old May 24th, 2001, 05:51 PM   #7
DJ smoot
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to DJ smoot Send a message via AIM to DJ smoot
i think this year it will be worth coming up there for i-dance

hopefully we can make it

elena
Old May 25th, 2001, 02:53 PM   #8
ProdigyBoy
Hullaboarder

Arrow

why didnt you come last yaer?
it was the bestest *g*

Cameron Bay.
Old May 28th, 2001, 01:31 PM   #9
doctorteeth
Hullaboarder

we need iDance now more than ever

Quote:
Originally posted by ProdigyBoy
umm i still don't think it is needed in the same way it was before. misconceptions of raves right now is... "they still have them?!"

i'm happy about celecbrating rave culture but don't think it should realy be a political afair.

Actually (as I previously wrote on the Tribe Board), we have as much if not more cause to rally this year.
1. the new "anti-gang" legislation -- allowing cops to break the law in the course of investigations -- introduce sweeping police powers that could all too possibly be used against raves in much the same way that American 'crack-house' laws are now being used to persecute promoters in New Orleans.
2. Toronto city council will be empowered by provincial 'municipal powers' legislation to draft its own laws and regulations for governing raves (and all kinds of entertainment events, for that matter) in private venues as well as public (ie city-owned) venues. we may expect this legislation as early as the end of this year.
3 -- and last but certainly not least. the Toronto police force remains trenchantly unaccountable in how it deals with (read: targets) the rave community, specifically with demanding exorbitant Paid-Duty Officer ratios that effectively price parties out of existence. if you think their PDO practice isn't having a tangible effect on Toronto parties, compare this year's party calendar to previous years and you'll see things are relatively sparse.

cause enough for you?

Mark "power to the partypeople" McC
Old May 30th, 2001, 02:16 AM   #10
ProdigyBoy
Hullaboarder

Arrow

^^^^thanks alot

i really didn't hear of any of these problems coming from promoters or anywhere else.
your 1st point on the anti-gang law sounds scarry as hell. i heard of that legistlation being pushed to fight against the biker gangs. following a case where it was used it did seem to make some sense. i didn't notice at the time how it would affect raves (well other then the fact biker gangs have moved into the scene like in ottawa). i would like to see more info on what powers the cops would have and how it can infringe on ppls rights.

2. i had no idea federal regulations could be up on the bill so soon. that's something everyone should have tabs on.

3. on the PDO matter what is targets?
i thought that the police were to be held on using past practices on the # of PDO's at the venue and had to have something backing up there #s. well i guess there is nothing that stops them from breaking reconmendations.

i honestly figured that the smaller amount of parties was accounted for in a smaller demand, increase in clubs, and lack of venues.

alright i see your points and see how they give strong reasons to the polotics of raving. hymmmm for this forum it's sad not seeing none of these topics disscussed. if ppl don't know the causes then its silly that they are to protest.

Cameron Bay.
Old May 31st, 2001, 01:35 AM   #11
DanceinFraggle
Hullaboarder

Re: we need iDance now more than ever

Quote:
Originally posted by doctorteeth
Quote:

i'm happy about celecbrating rave culture but don't think it should realy be a political afair.

Actually (as I previously wrote on the Tribe Board), we have as much if not more cause to rally this year.
1. the new "anti-gang" legislation -- allowing cops to break the law in the course of investigations -- introduce sweeping police powers that could all too possibly be used against raves in much the same way that American 'crack-house' laws are now being used to persecute promoters in New Orleans.
2. Toronto city council will be empowered by provincial 'municipal powers' legislation to draft its own laws and regulations for governing raves (and all kinds of entertainment events, for that matter) in private venues as well as public (ie city-owned) venues. we may expect this legislation as early as the end of this year.
3 -- and last but certainly not least. the Toronto police force remains trenchantly unaccountable in how it deals with (read: targets) the rave community, specifically with demanding exorbitant Paid-Duty Officer ratios that effectively price parties out of existence. if you think their PDO practice isn't having a tangible effect on Toronto parties, compare this year's party calendar to previous years and you'll see things are relatively sparse.

cause enough for you?

Mark "power to the partypeople" McC

You kick ass man...i'm from the states,but i'll still be up for support..stay positive!!
Old May 31st, 2001, 01:59 AM   #12
DJ smoot
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to DJ smoot Send a message via AIM to DJ smoot
doctorteeth is a funny name

i think we didnt come cus it was sorta sudden, and there was the absence of money factor.

were gonna have to know when this one is gonna go on to save up enough and plan ahead.

so hopefully it will be happening.

cus ive never seen toronto when it wasnt raining and/or very cold

im not even too sure you guys have summer up there

cus if you did, the igloos would melt....right?

hahaha

elena non canadian
Old June 1st, 2001, 05:05 PM   #13
doctorteeth
Hullaboarder

Quote:
2. i had no idea federal regulations could be up on the bill so soon. that's something everyone should have tabs on.

just to clarify this point, the expected regulations won't be federal -- they will be municipal regulations made possible by a provincial bill that will empower *all* Ontario municipalities to make up their own rules on raves, concerts, pride parades, Caribana festivals, etc. under a sweeping definition of "late-night entertainment" -- this will affect events held in private as well as city-owned venues (e.g. nightclubs as well as the CNE) and it will affect a *much* wider number of cultural events tan just raves.
Quote:
3. on the PDO matter what is targets?

"targets" as in "targeted policing": police practice that carries out discriminatory policies against a specifically targeted group of people. Toronto's ethnic minorities and the mentally ill would be other examples of groups 'targeted' in Toronto.
Quote:
i thought that the police were to be held on using past practices on the # of PDO's at the venue and had to have something backing up there #s. well i guess there is nothing that stops them from breaking reconmendations.

not if they don't make public their records on past practices and historical PDO numbers -- which they don't and apparently won't, despite demand from the public *and from the city itself*. keeping PDO info confidential allows the police to say that historical precedent is whatever they say it is.
Quote:
i honestly figured that the smaller amount of parties was accounted for in a smaller demand, increase in clubs, and lack of venues.

i don't know about demand, but lack of venues is definitely one of the biggest reasons for the decrease in parties and party size. but this very lack is a direct result of the police pressures described above.

Old June 5th, 2001, 01:14 AM   #14
~*~pRiNcEsS juLiA~*~
Hullaboarder

Quote:
Originally posted by Commander Keen
do we need to have gay pride day every year?
do we need to celebrate carabanna every year?
no, but it's something to be proud of.
Raving is huge in Toronto, and its about time the city acknowledges it. There is still a lot of misconceptions about raves, despite the success of last years i-dance.
It's something we should be proud of.

^^ Agreed ever soo much! i couldn't have said it better myself!

LiVe LiFe... duNt LeT LiFe LiVe yEw
Old June 8th, 2001, 05:41 AM   #15
techronic
Hullaboarder

why bother bringing raves back into the limelight. i think that the last two years proved that mainstream media attention is a very bad thing, let the popularity die down a bit, let raves become uncool and i guarantee that the real vibes will come back to this scene.
Old June 12th, 2001, 06:34 AM   #16
ephex
Hullaboarder

I agree. The media blowup has caused nothing bus hastle.
Old June 12th, 2001, 09:39 AM   #17
Wunderbrat
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Wunderbrat
I think it's unnecessary to have another idance
I"m bettin most people are oblivious to the things doctorteeth mentioned
I'd expect more drug use this year
and unless they're bringing in someone as big as bad boy bill again
I'd also expect a lot less people

Rick
Old June 12th, 2001, 11:58 PM   #18
ProdigyBoy
Hullaboarder

thanx doctor teeth for your detailed and informative response to this thread.

well if the government is planning on taking action upon this scene it is great to have the i-dance.

the media attention was a lot of the time negative but it made the scene grow. i-dance was created largely for media attention and that was a good thing!

a lot of stuff is going on the scene that ppl should be imformed about. the only reason i know TDSC is having problems right now is bc of Nekis's article.

later,
Cameron Bay.
Old June 13th, 2001, 05:22 PM   #19
Jayo
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Jayo
gotta dance in the fountain again
Old June 13th, 2001, 08:06 PM   #20
ProdigyBoy
Hullaboarder

yeah that was fun *splash*

i just caught the banner for this:

http://www.idancetoronto.com/

Cameron Bay.
Old July 1st, 2001, 07:53 PM   #21
Everybodies_Daddy
Hullaboarder

Photos: 8  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 25 View Users Journal
Send a message via ICQ to Everybodies_Daddy
OK, so we know the issues at hand- anti-gang legislations, PDO problems etc, but HOW WILL WE BRING THIS TO THE FOREFRONT at IDANCE?????? Odds are the media will interview the dumbest monkeys there that are just going to say "umm, like, it's fun, and we should be allowed to do it and stuff" instead of making the people aware of WHAT we're standing up for.

Something to think about.

I'll be there with fur on.

MC Everybodies*S-M-R-T*Daddy

PLURsquared.

Hot + Dirty
Old July 24th, 2001, 04:09 PM   #22
doctorteeth
Hullaboarder

changes since my first remarks

Quote:
Originally posted by Everybodies_Daddy
OK, so we know the issues at hand- anti-gang legislations, PDO problems etc, but HOW WILL WE BRING THIS TO THE FOREFRONT at IDANCE?

this is an excellent question and the source of no little debate. unfortunately I have no ready answer to this question; perhaps the iDance organizers might.

however, i have learned something very interesting since my first post about our reasons to rally this year:

For the time being, the Ontario government has shelved the Municipal Powers legislation. Apparently giving cities the power to over-regulate parties and any & all other evening entertainment has ceased to be a priority for a government awash in water scandals and the threat of recession.
Although this is very good news for us and well worth celebrating, opposition MPP Sandra Pupatello has said that she'd like to re-introduce her Raves Act in the next session of parliament (it will be interesting to see how far she'll get with it this time around, especially after the Harris government's own youth-targeting law on squeegee kids has been challenged by social-justice minded lawyers).

However, as the recent debacles with WEMF and, earlier, Liquid Adrenaline clearly show, police intervention remains a dire problem for big Toronto parties. And if this year's iDance doesn't tackle that issue head on, then I'm not sure where that would leave its political potential.
Old July 25th, 2001, 04:52 PM   #23
Everybodies_Daddy
Hullaboarder

Photos: 8  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 25 View Users Journal
Send a message via ICQ to Everybodies_Daddy
If they had tried to permanantly shitcan WEMF, there would have been a riot.

I wasn't there, and I'm glad I wasn't.

MCED
Old July 25th, 2001, 06:36 PM   #24
ProdigyBoy
Hullaboarder

errr

i think i may have posted this,
if so then i'l just say it again

i did have a good time at WEMF but so many of the reasons fought for in the inquest were overlooked.

- no running water (over priced water out for profits)
- no harms reduction crew (ie TRIP, Dance Safe)
- lack of infastucture all over

hymmm im not sure if the inquest anything to say about shuttle busses but it most deffinetly was not cool that they didnt return ppl back.

were lucky that no one did die over the weekend up there.

i am really considering not showing up to WEMF aslong as Destiny is a prime supporter of it. Yes they did throw a fun party in the end but idance was about safe partying. I'm convinced that things could have been done far better.

the flyer for idance is impressive. i have to read through it to see if i shall go this year. for sure the line up is good.

later,
Cameron Bay.
Old August 2nd, 2001, 11:29 PM   #25
~*~pRiNcEsS juLiA~*~
Hullaboarder

ProdigyBoy: I totally agree with you that it was disgusting how many promises Destiny made and did not fulfill for WEMF. But even though I stood in line for 10 1/2 hours and missed the whole first part of 3-day, I can still see their side...

But I also side with them. They had a location for WEMF, and a cpl days before wemf, it fell threw. I'm sure that the location which they originally hade DID include all of the things which it said on the flyer (running water, showers, etc etc) but unfortunately the location fell threw , for numerous reasons, and I do not think it was Destiny's fault at all! Imagine how stressed out you would be if you had 12 000+ ravers counting on you, and then the shit hit the fan.

Sorry I dont mean to sound rude at all!!! It's just I think people need to look at both sides of the story! )

Anyways, yes you should come to I.DANCE!!! ALL RAVERS should come!! Together we can all make a difference!! mwah!

-=pRiNcEsS juLiA=-