The HullaBoard  

Go Back   The HullaBoard > Other Stuff > Politics & Media > Articles (Toronto)
User Name
Password
Home Forum Gallery Arcade Journals FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old May 17th, 2000, 04:55 PM   #1
Subsonic Chronic
Hullaboarder

Fantino: It's not raves, it's the drugs

By PHILIP LEE-SHANOK, TORONTO SUN
It's not the raves he has a problem with, it's the drugs, Police Chief Julian Fantino repeatedly insisted at a York community meeting last night.

During a Q&A session at Vaughan Rd. Academy, Fantino was confronted by a group of ravers upset with the city's temporary ban on holding the all-night parties on municipally owned property.

"The feeling in the rave community is that we have been excluded from this decision to ban raves," said Rocco Liegghio. "The whole community and culture have been painted with the same broad brush as drug dealers and drug addicts."

But Fantino denied that he sees raves as the problem.

"We're not anti-rave, we're not anti-anything. It's not about raves, but the drug scene. My whole concern is pervasive drug use and the drug dealers that converge on these venues."

Liegghio said he and about two dozen others were concerned enough to effectively hijack a meeting called to air the concerns of citizens in 13 Division.

"Making raves safe may be the trick, but it can't be done by police," said Fantino.

Erin Lewis, 19, was angry that her microphone was cut off before she could tell Fantino the rave community is working to make the events safer.

"I'm very displeased by what I'm seeing. This is not what I call respect," she said.

Fantino stayed after the meeting ended to speak with the group and said the rave ban will be revisited in the fall after a coroner's inquest on the subject makes its recommendations.
Old May 17th, 2000, 06:07 PM   #2
The unrestrained retard
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to The unrestrained retard
Question

Anyone involved in the incident described in the article on this board? Care to give us more information?

Old May 18th, 2000, 02:22 PM   #3
Bean
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Bean
Arrow

i was at that meeting. the article is fairly accurate.

after some speeches by fantino and division officers, it was question time.

the issues that were brought up, in order of greatest number of speakers:

- raves
- rascism
- local traffic issues
- other issues
- "the cops are doing a great job"

about 6 or so ravers were lined up to question fantino. after the 3rd or 4th raver, it was announced that no more community meeting time would be used to discuss raves. fantino would be available to discuss this after the meeting had ended.

he was available. he did answer questions... but only about banning parties at cne property. he did not want to discuss the coroner's inquest.

this community meeting seemed more about politics than concern for the community, more about saying "look what a good police chief i am, meeting with the community and listening to their issues"... but not really paying attention to them, imho.

that's my recollection/assessment of the meeting.

peace,

sabina

"share what you know, learn what you don't."
Old May 19th, 2000, 08:20 PM   #4
d0pe_be0tch
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to d0pe_be0tch
Angry

I also attended the community meeting with Police Chief Fantino that night. It was very interesting. Fantino made some comments that sure left an impact upon me - but also I got to speak with the community in York, and spoke with the city cousellors which I think really helped shed light on this subject matter.
Anyways, all the quotes are pretty accurate. We also videotaped and recorded it on tape if Im not mistaken. Glad to see some people out there , and Im glad I could have been there.

-Ama