The HullaBoard  

Go Back   The HullaBoard > Other Stuff > Politics & Media > Articles (Toronto)
User Name
Password
Home Forum Gallery Arcade Journals FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old May 21st, 2000, 12:15 AM   #1
Lair Driver
Hullaboarder

Thumbs down

I posted this in another thread, and i am going to add on to it a little, I would like to personally invite anyone to speak their minds freely about WHOM THEY FEEL is responsible for this disgusting and intrusive examination of our scene by ignorant politicians and authorities,

There are many many many people who have to answer for some of these things,

For One Thing.. Somebody dying, and you-
BlAMING their death as an an excuse for why we are having some much pressure now from the authorities is Very Classless and rude.

Stupid dead partiers?

That is probably the sickest thing ever written...

does that mean everyone who does drugs, and if they die= its their fault??= yes, But what this whole inquest is trying to proove is certain factors and Provisions were NOT available..!! And thanks to a couple of irresponsible promoters.. - Which by the way you should be sending your complaints to them,

Im sick of biting my tongue over this shit, Anyone who on Paper has cleraed over 80,000 before expenses, and doest even bother to think about the saftey of his/her partrons, In a blood underground parking garage is insane and deserves what is comming to him/her-

There are Many noteable problems with the parking garage venue ..allready known before hand..

1. Inadequate ventilation
2. Lack of fire exits
3. Lack of Bathroom and Running Water-
4. Venue is in the middle of a ghetto
5. The Venue Is illegal, and parking garages are not intended for human use- except for parking cars,
6. Inadequate lighting..

The problem with the rave scene isnt just about the DRUGS< its about promoters who claim to have so much love for our scene but are skimping on the most essential things,

does this mean that when someone does drugs that they deserve to die?????!!!!!!!!! It is a risk that you take when you do drugs..but its certainly not a consequence that anyone looks forward too.. *Vidman your statements were classeless and dont forget that there are people who are suffering because of his death..and not just you and your 'SCENE'.

This isnt just about the scene, this is about all of us, people who attend the parties NEED TO STOP TAKING THESE GODDAM drugs and need to start telling the Security when they see Slimebag Drug dealers selling their drugs, Instead of Turning a Blind eye like we all do.. Partiers need to start demanding that promoters make the productions SAFE AND THAT THEY PROVIDE adequate provisions, instead of charging 4$ a bottle for water and turning off the Air Conditioning at parties just so we have no choice, Have off Duty Police officers, they are only there for presence and protection, they get paid nearly 50$ an hour!! when other cops show up to ask whats going on, they arent going to say anything, their getting paid nearly double what they normally make! I have never heard any problems about PD= only security problems,

The Deaths at Effective, Destiny, and Hullabaloo, are a plateau in our scene, where we have outgrown it- to the point where it is now no longer as safe as it once was to attend parties, We have all walks of Life who think that that they belong at raves, lowlife drug dealers who set up shop at parties etc, The rave scene is as commercialized as a Britney Spears album,

BUT WAIT----!!!!!!! That doesnt mean that it cant be special, there are hundreds of buisnesses that make money from the scene, Record Stores , Clothing Stores, Clothing Lines , Clubs etc.. People need to stop protecting others irresponsibility,

vidman- I sympathize with what you are saying in regards to the deaths being a catalyst for this Crackdown, but blaming it solely on that is unfair and untrue,

boycott companies that put their bottom line before your saftey,

I personally have no sympathy for The promoters, in this inquest, there are a lot of questions that I would like to see answered,

Renting an Underground Parking garage?!!! What the hell were you thinking, Wouldnt X-It, Or Tropicanna have sufficed, no...you wouldnt be able to fit enough people in - just as I thought.. oh well.. If I offend anyone, oh well.. cant make everyone happy

Old May 21st, 2000, 12:56 AM   #2
Cosmicboi
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Cosmicboi
my thoughts EXACTLY

nick
Old May 21st, 2000, 12:57 AM   #3
bucky
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to bucky Send a message via AIM to bucky
I agree someone is to BLAME.. BUT this is NOT about blame, but rather what could've been done to prevent such a problem, and is that not the whole reason the TDSC formed, and the protocols were passed?

Yea the underground parking garage may have been unsafe in many ways, but how come 3,499 other people made it out of there fine? How come thousands others the previous week made it out of there fine? I'm not making excuses.. but we have to move forward and it's obvious thats happened...
*shrug*

what i wanted to add also, do you think this should be considered a murder or something?

[This message has been edited by bucky (edited May 20, 2000).]
Old May 21st, 2000, 02:16 AM   #4
Jess
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Jess
Wink

This situation is extremely messy. I don't think the issue is who to blame but rather, how to prevent this from ever happening again. And to prevent this from NEVER happening again is impossible.
1) the building was unsafe
2) security wasn't very good
3) his friends did not react to the signs of an overdose
4) medical attention was NOT seeked immediately
5) he was on a drug which no one can determine was pure or not?
The promoter should ensure the venue is safe. His friends should ahve been informed and knew what to do when they first noticed him having an "abnormal" high. Security should have found the majority of ecstasy and other drugs at the door. His "friends" did not take him to see a medical professional neither did any of the fellow ravers. He took a risk by ingesting a drug in which he knew nothing of the make up. Blame is not the issue, rather how we are going to prevent these preventable deaths or not is the issue. Three out of thousands of ravers is extremely unfortunate but at the same time, it is NOT a large percentage.
lots of love,
Jess
Old May 21st, 2000, 02:55 AM   #5
Lair Driver
Hullaboarder

Yeah I would have to agree with you strongly there, I mean, the E that most people take right now is mixed with very deadly agents, Strichnine and Cyanide, are 2..More than 1 average hit of a pill with either of these chemicals cant kill you because of the toxicity of..and In a world of excess that makes for a lot of sick partiers, and yes a few deaths.

THIS BLIND EYE policy is very very very dangerours, everyone has at least witnessed one drug deal and has turned a blind eye, well the more blind we have become , the more this disease of low-life drug peddling has ravaged this scene as a whole.. It would be alot easier to get rid of the dealers who fuel the problem, than to ostracize the partiers who choose to buy them, If you see someone dealing drugs next time, do what you are morally obliged to do to protect our scene, get him thrown out, because if he does happen to be one of the evil pill pedlers who sell suicide death pills, than we are all going to pay a very very very heavy price in the end, and if he doesnt happen to be a evil pill seller, well.. we really cant afford to ask..

People die daily because of horrible drug abuse- and because of horrible drugs. When someone dies of a drug overdose- rave related or not, It saddens me to know that people would risk their own lives for the sake of a little fun that might last for 8 hours max, doesnt sound to me that it would be worth a life time..Death is more often a consequence of bad judgement, than fate..

Drugs are killing this scene, and killing some of the people who come to our parties, we have to do something about this before it is too late..

Chris
Old May 24th, 2000, 12:51 PM   #6
DJ smoot
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to DJ smoot Send a message via AIM to DJ smoot
Lightbulb

Lair Driver, i see what you are saying. I however am not very clear on what you are saying about someone dying when they do drugs. In my opinion, i think that, yes if a person does drugs they risk their life, each time, and it is their fault if they OD.

If people do drugs and seem to think that THIS is what the 'scene' is about, then fine, do the drugs. But to be safe people need to either know what they are doing and how much, where it came from and what the effect is. I do think that if someone does drugs then they deserve what they get. No one can play innocent and say "well i had no idea i could die". Thats not right, and even though relatives and friends suffer, i have to be heartless here and say that its entirely their fault.

But i also need to point out that hullabaloo was cancelled because the SIS or whoever said that if they find only one single joint in the room, the party would shut down. Its not just the overdoses that ruin the scene. Its everything combined. The whole drug business of dealers and buyers and users. Everyone is responsible. Even people who "turn the blind eye" like you said.

I will admit that that is what i always did. I didnt want to be a snoop and get into others business. I guess i have to do my part now somehow. Theres just no subtle way to do this.

elena
Old May 24th, 2000, 02:35 PM   #7
Seal Bounce Champion! High Score:  

Blame is not the issue in this whole scheme of things. There are so many factors at work with the turmoil in the scene to point a finger would be incredibly wrong. Besides, you posted this in another thread.

[This message has been edited by silver1 (edited May 24, 2000).]