The HullaBoard  

Go Back   The HullaBoard > Other Stuff > Politics & Media > Articles (Toronto)
User Name
Password
Home Forum Gallery Arcade Journals FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old July 14th, 2001, 09:28 PM   #1
Jess
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Jess
do your kids rave?

originally posted by Anemosity on neksis.com

Taken from "Oakville Today" Thursday, July 12, 2001

Do your kids rave?
Talk to your kids about All Night Dance Parties/Raves

If your son or daughter is thinking of going to a Rave or All Night Dance Party, you should know that.....

These events are dangerous because:

Drugs are easy to access

Fire safety issues are common

The risk of assult is higher

Lighting is poor

There are large crowds of people

Criminal activity may be attracted to Raves

Other potential health risks include excessive heat, risk of dehydration and/or seizures

If your child will be going to a Rave ask these questions, because you care about their safety:

Where is the event?

Who are they going with?

How will they get home?

How will they handle peer pressure?

What time will they come home?

Encourage them to:

Drink plenty of water (500 ml. per hour of vigorous dancing) to prevent dehydration

Take frequent breaks from dancing to cool off

Stay with trusted friends at the event and on the way home

Not use illicit drugs or alcohol

Talking is a first step. If you feel like you need more information about Raves, please call the Halton Region Health Department at:
905-825-6060 ext. 7490 * Toll free 1-866-4HALTON * TTY 905-827-9833

As a group of four agencies we believe that Raves are unsafe environments and do not support youth attendance at them. Youth will continue to attend Raves so we will continue to develop harm reduction strategies to sddress the safety issues.
Old July 16th, 2001, 12:21 AM   #2
bucky
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to bucky Send a message via AIM to bucky
Re: do your kids rave?

Quote:
taken from the article...
As a group of four agencies we believe that Raves are unsafe environments and do not support youth attendance at them. Youth will continue to attend Raves so we will continue to develop harm reduction strategies to sddress the safety issues.

i give them credit for the harm reduction strategies, although one of them is to discourage people from going, at least they bring up points to help the safety of people.
Old July 16th, 2001, 12:52 AM   #3
*BLASTER*
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to *BLASTER*
The same thing was in the Georgetown Independant it was probably in every paper in the halton reigion I'm sooo writing a letter to the editor.

*BLASTER*
Old July 16th, 2001, 01:45 AM   #4
=cyprus=
Hullaboarder

Arrow Let's Review

-Drugs are easy to access: True

-Fire safety issues are common: True

-The risk of assault is higher: False
I feel safer at a 'rave' then I do at a house party, they get crashed, violence breaks out and it becomes uncontrollable chaos with some parties and uninvited guests. At least at our parties we have security with us.

-Lighting is poor: True
Your point? I's fine at night, I'll be fine through this.

-There are large crowds of people: True
Your point? There are in many places. Unless your claustrophobic, or to high to handle it, then you've put yourself in that problem.

-Criminal activity may be attracted to Raves: True
i.e. trafficking. As for gangs, well I never see that sort of thing, so I do not think criminal activity, in the form of violence, is attracted to raves.

-Other potential health risks include excessive heat, risk of dehydration and/or seizures:

Excessive heat: True
because of the large crowds

Dehydration: True
Because if your dancing up a storm, sober or not, you will be
dehydrated. There is a cure, they call it water

Seizures: False I don't know what party and or drug your thinking of, but it is not a common sight at parties.
Old July 16th, 2001, 06:41 PM   #5
Commander Keen
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Commander Keen
risk of assault is higher???

higher compared to what???

unless you're comparing raves to a quiet evening at home.

perhaps they are talking about getting robbed at raves, which does happen.... I've heard a lot of stories about people getting mugged and shit...
Old July 16th, 2001, 07:34 PM   #6
=cyprus=
Hullaboarder

Quote:
Originally posted by Commander Keen
risk of assault is higher???

higher compared to what???

unless you're comparing raves to a quiet evening at home.

perhaps they are talking about getting robbed at raves, which does happen.... I've heard a lot of stories about people getting mugged and shit...

-e-x-a-c-t-l-y-

Small things like that I have herd, on occasion, but higher assault, pffft come on! To many plury people running around for that shit....
Old July 17th, 2001, 01:56 AM   #7
*BLASTER*
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to *BLASTER*
Right on cyprus!
Old July 17th, 2001, 03:25 AM   #8
Nubbie
Hullaboarder

Photos: 2  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to Nubbie Send a message via MSN to Nubbie
I saw 2 security guards beat the christ out of each other and throw each other around.

I flipped out because I couldn't understand why 2 security guards would do that.

-=Nub=-
Old July 17th, 2001, 04:09 AM   #9
=cyprus=
Hullaboarder

It's called COURPTION :o

I have never seen this happen, but have seen many high security officers, or sleeping ones...

Though I have herd stories of officers ripping off kids when they catch them, and pocketing the money they are bought off with. Or taking their drugs and keeping them for themselves...

This is only what I've herd, so it's still un proven to me, thankfully.

But the article was talking about the risk of assault being higher It would be pretty disgusting if that risk was from are supposed, and trusted security guards!
Old July 17th, 2001, 04:00 PM   #10
Nubbie
Hullaboarder

It had nothing to do with corruption... apparently these two security guards just really really hated each other. They were working for different companies (One was house security, the other was extra hired security) and they just got off on the bad foot. I think it had something to do with who had more authority over who and the other one didn't like it.

Ah well, it was... interesting to watch.

;]
-=Nub=-
Old July 18th, 2001, 03:43 PM   #11
Everybodies_Daddy
Hullaboarder

Photos: 8  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 25 View Users Journal
Send a message via ICQ to Everybodies_Daddy
And then there's all the dirty raver sex.

That's the best part.

MCED

Hot + Dirty
Old July 18th, 2001, 08:41 PM   #12
Nubbie
Hullaboarder

Quote:
Originally posted by Everybodies_Daddy
And then there's all the dirty raver sex.

That's the best part.

MCED

Thats something I always liked...
Walking into the washroom and being able to slip it into someone... anyone just because they were already there and engaged in a threesome with 2 other people.

Any oriface is a good one...
-=N b=-
Old July 27th, 2001, 06:11 PM   #13
blue orphan
Hullaboarder

corruption...

Wow....I didn't even realize that it was an issue as to whether security guards are corrupt. I really shouldn't be saying thius but I will. For the past 2 years (at least) at wemf the security guards have run half of the drug dealing from a central RV with ravers who agree to run for them receiving a 20-50% cut.

Furthermore, it is COMMONPLACE for guards to shakedown ravers they catch dealing or using drugs. A friend of mine is good friends with a security guard who was working at a party we were at and he brought he into a back room and handed her several bags. One was FULL of E's...the other FULL of buds...and the other was caps of jibb and some vials of K. He told her to take whatever she wanted. True story. Yeah, but I'm still not sure if they're corrupt.
Old July 29th, 2001, 12:39 AM   #14
=cyprus=
Hullaboarder

cloudy corruption

I find it disgusting that the security guards that are there to supposedly keep things safe and reduce the amount of drug consumption and trafficking in venues are keeping some drugs for
themselves sometimes... talk about very contradicting..

I have not seen this happen. Herd about it? many times though. How do we know for sure what they seize they are not taking for themselves... I have seen many a high security guard
walking around..

Think of the power they have, they can question anyone, take their drugs, and keep them. Who are they to report it to, and who are they to know what was and was not found....

.....not like trafficking is a good thing, but if some dumb kid is selling, and a guard finds out, takes all there stuff, you know how FUCKED that kid is. HE now owes X number of dollars to some drug dealer who will kick the shit out of him unless money is produced...

I don't think they should take peoples drugs, anyones! Just kick them the fuck out!
Old July 29th, 2001, 01:30 AM   #15
eLECTRONIC pROGRESSION
Hullaboarder

Exclamation corruption in the workplace

hey, if security guards weren't at least a little corrupt, we'd all be in jail (at least most of us who have ever had some illicit fun at a party. they know what we're doin, they know how we're doin it. old news.

at least they're cool about. i mean, if i got a few bits of personal, they aren't gonna sweat me, what harm could i do?

what i absolutely cannot stand is the hero type meathead security dude who thinks he can save the world one rave at a time (and is thus not that far off an over paid, over zealous cop), or ones who don't know anything about what they are securing, let alone how to be a security guard (once, one asked me why everybody was bringing glowsticks to the party!!!)

anyway, to make a long story short, they have to be a little bit dirty... it's ok.

-the pong

p.s.: if you have to discuss certain basic issues about going out with your kids... they are probably way too young to be going to raves anyway!
Old July 29th, 2001, 06:54 PM   #16
pink pixie
Hullanewbie

~*that iz so dumb, anywhere you go you are takin sum sort of a risk of being in 'danger'; go to a bar and sumone might slip sumthin into your drink, and thn you pass out and blahh blahh blahh. But for sum reason people like to pick on raves by saying the are 'unsafe', yeah so iz walkin down a back alley late at night. Raves are very safe the only 'bad' thingz about them iz dehydration and the drug use.*~
KrIsSy
Old July 30th, 2001, 01:36 AM   #17
DJ smoot
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to DJ smoot Send a message via AIM to DJ smoot
Quote:
Originally posted by pink pixie
~*Raves are very safe the only 'bad' thingz about them iz dehydration and the drug use.*~
KrIsSy

and the fact that they *somehow* cause illiteracy....

elena meavil
Old July 30th, 2001, 06:30 AM   #18
=cyprus=
Hullaboarder

^^^^ haha, right there for the count you are!

raves are not all safe, but nothing is ever completly safe
Old August 2nd, 2001, 11:48 PM   #19
~*~pRiNcEsS juLiA~*~
Hullaboarder

Exactly. No matter where you go, you're never really safe! I mean when you're at home asleep in your bed- someone can easily get into your house and kill you or something!!! Like it's the year 2001 what do you expect? As far as I'm concerned, I think raves are safe... as long as security does their job searching to make sure *NO* weapons are brought in. Yes people are going to do drugs no matter what, and that's *their* personal decision. I mean people know the risks, people know that "hey if i take this pill i could die" (depending on what's in it) so if they're stupid enough to take it, and they die... it's THEIR fault! It's not the production company who threw the party, its NOT ravers' fault!
Like come on! It's true.

So, yeah as far as I'm concerned they're safe places. God I am getting soo fed up of the way media portrays raves and ravers in such a negative manner... grrrr!!!!! ANyone else?

-=pRiNcEsS juLiA=-
Old August 3rd, 2001, 03:56 PM   #20
Somedumbwierdo
Hullanewbie

That's funny...
geez, there's sooo much violence at raves yo!
So much more then say...a heavy metal concert...
wow!
I fear my life every time I go...
LOL LOL LOL LOL

Anyways,
drugs are for idiots anyways,
do em if ya feel like, but live the reprocussions.
I prefere caffeine, it's my drug of choice. I take it in coffee and soda form.
Old August 15th, 2001, 12:30 AM   #21
pink pixie
Hullanewbie

~* why doeznt tha media move on!?! no one carez wut they think if you go to ravez you'll keep goin cuz you know wut they are really like and if you dont go then fine. why dont they get on barz and all tha bar fightz? where i live people have been killed or beaten up in bar fightz, no one haz yet died at a rave so blahh, media sux!*~
KrIsSy