The HullaBoard  

Go Back   The HullaBoard > Other Stuff > Politics & Media > iDance
User Name
Password
Home Forum Gallery Arcade Journals FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old July 26th, 2001, 07:24 PM   #1
Klubmasta Will
Hullaboarder

Cool >>> iDANCE 2001 - SUN, SEPT 2 - FREE PARTY TO FIGHT FOR YOUR FREEDOM TO DANCE

MISSION STATEMENT

iDance has two goals: (1) to showcase and celebrate the myriad of artistic talents that exist within the electronic music scene and (2) to show the massive strength and unity of the electronic music community.

At a time when dance parties and raves are being threatened in cities all over North America, iDance hopes to educate the masses (and dispel misconceptions) about this worldwide cultural movement.

In the last 5 years, the electronic music and DJ scene has been assaulted with aggressive government crackdowns. We would like to extend our heartfelt gratitude to our friends who have worked so hard to ensure that Toronto does not go down the same misguided path as other North American cities that have (i) implemented curfews, (ii) outlawed glowsticks and chillrooms, (iii) forced licensed establishments to shut down at 2 am, (iv) outlawed dancing or the playing of music with a specific bpm (beats per minute) after 2 am, (v) put improper pressure on private property owners to not rent to event promoters, etc. One particularly unfortunate incident saw a police unit raid a party in a hockey arena and then proceed to strip-search its patrons at random. (No charges were laid and the Canadian Civil Liberties Association is now involved.)

This community has been a target for too long. It is time for the authorities (in cities all over North America) to realize that these crackdowns violate our constitutional rights. They are offensive – to artists, to musicians, to the thousands of individuals who work in this industry, and to the millions of people worldwide who love electronic music.

Far too often, mainstream society judges youth culture without taking the time to understand it first. In the 1920s, jazz was “the devil’s music”. In the 1950s, it was all about demonizing rock ‘n’ roll. It is our hope that we can all learn from the mistakes of our predecessors and work together to create a relationship – between our community and the powers that be – based on mutual trust and respect.

The purpose of iDance is to continue to foster a positive discourse between a large number of this city’s youth and its government officials (as well as social services). iDance is an opportunity for the city, the dance community, the media and responsible corporations to come together to ensure that electronic music events are as safe and responsible as possible.

We would like to thank our friends at City Hall and Queen’s Park for having the knowledge and foresight to see these simple truths. We would also like to thank our corporate and media sponsors for having the vision and courage to support this misunderstood youth movement.

There is strength in numbers. Together, we have enormous power and influence. Please join us on September 2, 2001 as we make history once again.
Old July 26th, 2001, 07:26 PM   #2
Klubmasta Will
Hullaboarder

WELCOME TO iDANCE 2001!

iDance 2001 is a celebration of electronic music – a showcase of the world’s most popular new music and its thriving youth culture. Join us on September 2, 2001 (Labour Day Sunday) as Toronto shows the world why it is the premiere city on the planet for electronic music events.

Last year, in our inaugural year and on a shoestring budget, 20,000 people gathered for the iDance Rally (2000), to dance on the doorstep of Toronto’s City Hall. Hailed by The Globe and Mail as “one of the most significant events in a long time in Canadian music”, by Now Magazine as “one of the biggest events ever held at Nathan Phillips Square” and by The Toronto Star as “a seminal moment for the city”, the iDance Rally (2000) received unprecedented praise from the community, from the media and from City politicians.

With the rave and electronic music scene threatened by misinformed media and politicians, the entire community truly came together to fight for its collective Freedom to Dance. Two days after the iDance Rally (2000), Toronto’s City Council lifted its ban on raves at City-owned venues by an overwhelming vote of 50-4. Because of this, the iDance Rally is considered one of the most successful community rallies in the history of this country.

This year, iDance 2001 is prepared to take things to the next level. With a diverse line-up that includes the biggest names in electronic music – all presented FREE OF CHARGE to Toronto’s party people – iDance 2001 is shaping up to be the most anticipated electronic music event of the year.

In addition to the iDance 2001 flagship event at Nathan Phillips Square, please support the other iDance events and movements listed below. Each iDance 2001 event has been planned with the utmost care to ensure that we live up to the very high standard that we – the community – set last year. By supporting all of the iDance 2001 events, you will help ensure that iDance will continue to thrive in years to come.

iDONATE

At iDance 2001, we are launching iDONATE, a movement that will embody the purist notions of peace, love, unity and respect that have long been associated with electronic music culture worldwide. In collaboration with The Daily Bread Food Bank, we are asking everyone to bring an item of non-perishable food to iDance 2001. With poverty levels rising, we hope to make a serious contribution to this growing problem by making the single largest one-day food donation in the history of Toronto. This is a very ambitious goal but we can break this record if we all work together to spread the word throughout the community. Please support iDONATE and be a part of this important historic occasion.

iDANCE CD

Once again, we are producing a commemorative iDance CD. This is a very unique and ground-breaking undertaking as ALL of the tracks are 100% original, Canadian, home-grown electronic music tracks, covering every genre from house, hip hop, drum and bass, breaks, techno, happy hardcore, trance and nu nrg. No one has ever attempted to produce a CD to promote this kind of diverse Canadian talent so we are all very excited about this project. The contributing artists are among the best and hottest electronic music producers in the country. They are all donating their tracks for free to support iDance.

We will be selling the iDance CDs at iDance 2001 and at all related events for $10, with all proceeds going to help pay for iDance 2001. (Production will be very limited so be sure to pick one up while you can. There will be no further production runs so they are sure to be a collector’s item.)

iDANCE FASHION SHOW

In an effort to showcase some of the related artistic talents that exist within the electronic music scene, we are adding a fashion show stage to iDance 2001. With the participation of major clothing labels and Toronto’s most unique and ingenious independent designers, MAC Cosmetics providing make-up artists, Ice Models providing talent, Toni & Guy providing hair-stylists, and the participation of Canada’s best break-dancing teams, this is shaping up to be one of the most ambitious urban streetwear fashion shows ever seen.

iDANCE PRE-PARTIES and AFTER-PARTIES

In collaboration with iDance 2001, Toronto’s best event promoters and nightclubs have come together to bring you an unbelievable line-up of pre-parties, after-parties and boat cruises. We have a very busy week planned for all of you. The iDance schedule includes the parties and club-nights that form the backbone of Toronto’s nightlife. (It also includes some very exciting comebacks and surprises.)

Please support the promoters and the events that support iDance. Without their contributions and assistance, we would not be able to bring you such a large, extravagant event for free.

THANK YOUS

Finally, we would like to thank the hundreds of community members that have made iDance possible. This is truly a community movement and it would not be possible without the generosity and support of all of you. Please take a moment to read the thank you lists at the end of the iDance booklet. These individuals and organizations have donated their personal time, money, talent, creativity and energy to iDance. On behalf of Toronto’s entire electronic music community, we extend our heartfelt gratitude.

Peace Love Unity Respect

Thanks from the iDance Crew:
Will Chang – Executive Director
Tyler Cho (Lifeforce Industries)
Alexd (Tribe Magazine)
Aaron M (Lifeforce Industries)
Robb M (ATM Recordings)
Ryan Kruger (Destiny Productions)
Jennstar
Tee Loo (TVC)
Old July 26th, 2001, 07:29 PM   #3
Klubmasta Will
Hullaboarder

LINE UP

SUN, SEPT 2, 2001 --- NATHAN PHILLIPS SQUARE, TORONTO

DAVE CLARKE
DJ SNEAK
ANDY C
ZINC
VITAMIN D
CZECH
ROBERT DE LA GAUTHIER
FREAKY FLOW & MC FLIPSIDE
D.A.V.E. THE DRUMMER
ROWLAND THE BASTARD
HATIRAS
ANABOLIC FROLIC v. DJ FRISKY
MYSTICAL INFLUENCE v. MARCUS
TIM PATRICK v. MYKA
OS/2 v. DR. TRANCE
D-MONIC v. BIG LEAGUE CHU
PAUL WALKER v. JELO

mcs
DR. NO (Return of the Toronto Legend!)
JOHN SMITH (Coming out of Retirement to support iDance!)
JD
L NATURAL
CADDY CAD
FRIENDLYMAN
BANDIT
TRAJADY

hosts
DON BERNS, FLIPSIDE, NEFARIUS
Old July 26th, 2001, 07:32 PM   #4
Klubmasta Will
Hullaboarder

www.idancetoronto.com

look for the 64-page iDance booklets at all the usual outlets.

festivities kick off at 1 pm.

also, be sure to check out the Hullabaloo! official iDance pre-party: http://www.hullabaloo-raves.com/sho...p?threadid=3236
Old July 26th, 2001, 07:51 PM   #5
Jess
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Jess
i can't wait...i missed idance last year...

Old July 27th, 2001, 09:48 AM   #6
Kid Kandy
Hullaboarder

What time does the music start at? I missed last year, and i wanna support the Ontario scence.

<< Can't wait to see Andy C
Old July 27th, 2001, 10:22 PM   #7
Klubmasta Will
Hullaboarder

btw, please help spread the word by posting the iDance info on other message boards. i know of hulla (obviously), tribe, and torontojungle.

i know there's more but i don't know any of them ...
Old July 28th, 2001, 04:37 AM   #8
Johnny Funk
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Johnny Funk
DAVE the DRUMMER & ROWLAND THE BASTARD.....

INDEED!
Old July 30th, 2001, 01:29 AM   #9
Capitik
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Capitik
Can someone please tell me when the phryll pre party is going to be? I think it's on the first??? But i need to be sure since i'm booking time off work for it.

Thanks to whoever can help me out.
Ryan
Old July 30th, 2001, 01:33 AM   #10
Klubmasta Will
Hullaboarder

info on all the pre-parties and after-parties and boat cruises are on www.idancetoronto.com (and in the iDance booklet).

Old July 30th, 2001, 02:03 AM   #11
Capitik
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Capitik
Thanks will. Unfortunetly I'm at work and I'm on a really crappy computer with an even crappier web browser which won't let me access that link you posted. I guess I will just check the link tomorrow.
Old July 31st, 2001, 01:20 PM   #12
Klubmasta Will
Hullaboarder

if people could post the links to other message boards that may be discussing iDance, that would help us out a lot.

i was recently directed to the nitemare board where a corporate sponsorship "debate" was going on.
Old July 31st, 2001, 04:01 PM   #13
GILLYBEAR:)
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to GILLYBEAR:)
Talking yeyeye idance

i had so much fun last year and this year is going to be the best *HUGZ&KUDDLZ*

icq 39893186

Old August 1st, 2001, 01:32 AM   #14
~*~pRiNcEsS juLiA~*~
Hullaboarder

yih yih! I can't wait!
There's like sooo many kick ass parties that weekend!! *yAy* Hope to see everyone out there dAnCiN' away.. showing the WORLD what raving is really & truly about (not what the media makes it out to be)
^^wErD yeah
-=pRiNcEsS juLiA=-
Old August 1st, 2001, 04:54 PM   #15
Everybodies_Daddy
Hullaboarder

Photos: 8  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 25 View Users Journal
Send a message via ICQ to Everybodies_Daddy
Make sure everyone you talk to at the party knows WHY it's being thrown, so that way anyone who gets interviewed on TV can spread the message.

PLURsquared...

MC Everybodies*WillBring2FoodItems*Daddy

Hot + Dirty
Old August 2nd, 2001, 03:39 PM   #16
meshow
Hullaboarder

can't wait

what a way to close out the summer!!! wasn't able to attend last year cause of work but me and my special friend will be there this year. dave the drummer woooohoooooo!!!!!!!!!!!
just please remember why idance IS necessary.
Old August 2nd, 2001, 09:06 PM   #17
~*~pRiNcEsS juLiA~*~
Hullaboarder

Quote:
Originally posted by Everybodies_Daddy
Make sure everyone you talk to at the party knows WHY it's being thrown, so that way anyone who gets interviewed on TV can spread the message.

PLURsquared...

MC Everybodies*WillBring2FoodItems*Daddy

I sooo hope that I get interviewed. I know exactly what I would say. I would tell toronto & ontario what raving is *really* all about. I would tell them to forget about their misconceptions on raving & then I would inform them that it is about the music & about the dancing! Not what media portrays them to be about (drugs) I would invite them to come and check out the scene, no matter what age, if they wanna see what its all about!

-=pRiNcEsS juLiA
Old August 7th, 2001, 06:03 PM   #18
carmeee
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to carmeee
Old August 17th, 2001, 03:15 AM   #19
dj x
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to dj x
^^^^

Haha you're so full fo words *L*
Old August 17th, 2001, 02:54 PM   #20
atro
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to atro
Tickets to selected official iDance pre/after events are available at

pHryL presents Full Circle - $18.00 USD or $25.00 CDN
http:///index.cfm?item=TXPHL001

Hullabaloo iDance preParty - $14.00 USD or $20.00 CDN
http:///index.cfm?item=TXHBL001

MWE presents Summer's End Festival 2001
- $20.00 USD or $30.00 CDN http:///index.cfm?item=TXMWE001

E-maiL & Digital presents Still Dancing 2001
$14.00 USD or $20.00 CDN
http:///index.cfm?item=TXEPD001
Old August 18th, 2001, 03:32 PM   #21
HEATER
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to HEATER
I just thought of a great way to help support some funding for Idance 2002 assuming there is one
My friend has a boxset of the millenium Jungle party somewhere in London. The box set has like 10 or 12 tapes and cost him around 50-60 bucks cdn.

If idance is half as special as it was and I'm sure it will be I wont be the only one who would like to have it captured on tape/cd

just an idea

HEATER OUT.
Old August 26th, 2001, 12:50 AM   #22
DJ PaNiK
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to DJ PaNiK Send a message via AIM to DJ PaNiK
since when is dr. no aloud to be back in the country?? weird... i knew e-by-gum couldn't hang up that mic yet...
hahahhaa

PaNiK
Old August 28th, 2001, 01:16 AM   #23
Everybodies_Daddy
Hullaboarder

Photos: 8  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 25 View Users Journal
Send a message via ICQ to Everybodies_Daddy
And I will bring a big sign that says "EvErybody must gEt stonEd"

Hehe....

or not...

MCED