Home Forum Gallery Arcade Journals FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old August 29th, 2001, 12:11 PM   #1
Everybodies_Daddy
Hullaboarder

Photos: 8  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 25 View Users Journal
Send a message via ICQ to Everybodies_Daddy
Is the rave "fad" over?

Is it just me, or have raves stopped being "cool"?

Granted we're still the subject of intense media scrutiny, but all those dumb hoochies wearing fun fur visors and talking about "dose" and "rave" music are slowly moving on to the next fad...

I for one am grateful... if the mainstream, such as radio, tv and print media, along with the thronging masses move on to another cultural phenomenon, then we can go about our business, invisible to the naked eye, and ppl can have their first rave be like mine felt...

A friend convinced me to go, I had no idea what a rave was, or what went on, but I went... and had the time of my life.. no lie... the people were friendly, educating me about PLUR and so on... and I learned... and danced, and had fun, not worried about a thing....

So there...

MCED

Hot + Dirty
Everybodies_Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2001, 11:28 PM   #2
MrGuv (Mathiau)
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to MrGuv (Mathiau) Send a message via AIM to MrGuv (Mathiau) Send a message via MSN to MrGuv (Mathiau) Send a message via Yahoo to MrGuv (Mathiau)
it would be nice, and what is with me being the first to respond to your post!! no, i am not stalking u

anyways, yeah, i remeber my sister telling me about raves she went to, and how good they were, then i went to my first, it was good, can't complain, well actually i loved it, but i had this hyp'd up though of what my sister has told me about, why can't things just go back to the way they were, and were meant to be!
¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸© They know what is what, but they don't know what is what........ they just strut..... WTF! ©¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸
¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸© Life ain't short, your just dead for too frick'n dam long! ©¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸
MrGuv (Mathiau) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2001, 12:45 AM   #3
Nubbie
Hullaboarder

Photos: 2  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to Nubbie Send a message via MSN to Nubbie
I donno. Seems that way for now.

Media doesn't give half as much attention to us as they did last year, and the people arn't really wanting to hear any more about those 'raves' because thing really bad happens at them like they were made out to be.

I kinda think half of the people have moved on, the other half are still curious.

-=Nub=-
Nubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2001, 03:55 AM   #4
KarmicKande
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to KarmicKande
the future media fad

heres a question:

if/when electronic music becomes 'mainstream' and just as popular as pop/rock/whatever then what will be the next music fad? these things are hard to predict... but what do u think comes next?

to me, electronic music is like an anti-music. in a sense.
i mean, when it comes to 'traditional' music, there are lyrics, and instruments, this music has many genres. pop, rap, r&b, metal, rock, country... the list goes on.

electronic music seems to be the yang of this yin. it has just as many genres, even eqivalent genres.

so do you think that our music will continue to flourish, and the next 'fad' will be with the walls of electronic music, or will it be within the walls of traditional music? jazz was once a new thing. so was rock and/or roll. now we are amidst an electroncic music fad.
Old September 3rd, 2001, 11:38 AM   #5
noah
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to noah
The whole fad that being a "raver" is cool is definately over
The main reason for that is because it's no longer underground
The music and fashion (2 of the major parts of the sence) have become incrediblly mainstream ... so now people can't go around and brag and pretend to be cool becuase they have been to a rave because most likely the person they are talking to has been to one too

peace
noah
noah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2001, 05:40 PM   #6
Nubbie
Hullaboarder

The next big thing?

Well what hasn't been covered yet by Pop culture?

-=Nub=-
Old September 3rd, 2001, 06:44 PM   #7
Everybodies_Daddy
Hullaboarder

Quote:
Originally posted by Nubbie

Well what hasn't been covered yet by Pop culture?

Orgies.

MCED
Old September 3rd, 2001, 09:47 PM   #8
Spud
Hullaboarder

Send a message via Yahoo to Spud
ok

for the record hip hop and modern r&b are forms of electronic music as much as 'rave' music is......when the beats are created with a sampler and a keyboard than how could it be anything but.........

also i believe that many djs and promoters have been wanting this loss of popularity to come on........that's why they created UK hardhouse
Spud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2001, 01:56 PM   #9
Everybodies_Daddy
Hullaboarder

And Speed Garage.

MCED
Old September 4th, 2001, 09:38 PM   #10
=cyprus=
Hullaboarder

Everyone keeps going on about "well just give it some more time and it will go back underground"

Is that really better though? It might sound better then buying tickets off ticket master I mean come on!

But with it like that we might as well bet how long it will be before our parties get shut down..

humm..
=cyprus= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2001, 01:36 PM   #11
Nubbie
Hullaboarder

I don't think its so much that we want it to go back underground; barely any of us here are from that era to begin with. I think most of us just want it back to the days where no one really knew what we were up to at those all night crazy rave parties of death. I personally don't like how when riding on a bus there are ghetto people talking about that 'rave' thing thats going on, and how they're going to get insanily messed up at it. They're just too open these days, and it seems that everyone and their mother has been to one and is planning on their second one.

I'm kind of exagerating here, but it gives the idea over well I think. People are moving on, parties arn't nearly as crowded I'm finding as they were two years ago, and people arn't bringing as many new people to them as they once did. I've met a few more people that have gone to their first parties because they were interested in what it was all about, not because someone dragged them into going, as seemed to be most of the cases.

Hilary; are you in London yet?
Gimme a call yo'... I've got nothing to do besides sit around and go9 to school all the time, or if I'm luckey, think about making food ;p

-=Nub=-
Old September 5th, 2001, 07:56 PM   #12
Everybodies_Daddy
Hullaboarder

Quote:
Originally posted by Nubbie
I don't think its so much that we want it to go back underground; barely any of us here are from that era to begin with. I think most of us just want it back to the days where no one really knew what we were up to at those all night crazy rave parties of death. I personally don't like how when riding on a bus there are ghetto people talking about that 'rave' thing thats going on, and how they're going to get insanily messed up at it. They're just too open these days, and it seems that everyone and their mother has been to one and is planning on their second one.

Boom

You just hit the flea on the wiener.

MCED
Old September 28th, 2001, 09:37 PM   #13
skyparty
Hullaboarder

Send a message via MSN to skyparty
well i for one don't attend parties like i use to.
for one, i work too much and i can't take the time to spend the money to *go to* a party out of town. when i lived in toronto it was much different...

i've definately moved on, but that music still blares outta my car and i am still as excited to hear as i did 2 years ago at my first party...

the only now is, i'm 21. i start partying at 19--
and now i jsut have too many other priorities...
skyparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2001, 01:41 PM   #14
Jess
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Jess
raves/ravers aren't "cool" anymore because everyone is a raver, and everyone goes to raves...

ravers can no longer carry a sort of eliteness about them...everyone is into partying

however, if you stil love partying because of the people you meet, the friends you've made, and the music then i don't see how "the scene" moving mainstream is a problem
Old October 3rd, 2001, 07:52 PM   #15
RoB-B
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to RoB-B
im rave cool

i go to raves just so i can tell people im a raver

ive been to 2 raves in my life but im still hardcore, i talk about the same 2 parties over and over again telling the same stories as always.

im such a hardcore dancer that at one party i put holes in my shoes cause i danced so hard

people in montreal suck at dancing, even though ive only been to 2 raves im still better than them at dancing because im from toronto and not montreal
RoB-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2001, 09:12 PM   #16
Rainbow Brit-E
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Brit-E
Bring Back PLUR

I went to my first party when I was 15 (almost 4yrs ago) and I remember that everyone was dressed in waht seemed like crazy clothes , it was like 8 bucks at some old venue and it was like a big family. I got out of it 2 yrs ago 'cuz "rave cool" ccame about and it was now acceptable to be extremely bitchy and to look down upon people like the candy kids (who in my opinion are still and always will be the only people keeping the vibe alive). I got back into it because I missed the happy atmosphere and even now that they are well known you aren't going to find a rave atmosphere at a club or anything. And not everyone has gone to one and they are still a crazy notion in a lot of ppl's minds. Sure the media has moved on but they are never going to be completely main stream nor completely underground again. I think the scene maybe taking a turn for the better, but it comes with people realizing why they started to begin with and to forget how much their clothes cost and how many people they know and go to dance and meet people
Old October 15th, 2001, 01:10 PM   #17
Nubbie
Hullaboarder

Candy needs to make a comeback :]

I disagree with the whole Candykids keeping the vibe of the scene together though, because honestly... you go to any party aimed at one type of music and those who like that type of music... people go absolutely apeshit when they don't have to worry about other 'ravers' being around.

Junglists, technosnobs, trancheads... they all have their own specific 'vibe' that their parties creat, and its quiet different from the vibe of a hhc or a breaks party (for example)

-=Nub=-
My 0.02
Old October 15th, 2001, 09:25 PM   #18
pink pixie
Hullanewbie

~*I stopped going to partiez for awhile becuz of all those stupid kidz that just went for the drugz (cuz thats wut they saw on tv), it makes me sick to see all those people who don't give 2 shitz about the scean. I guess it just makes me mad cuz when i started going they wern't known of and people looked downa at me cuz they didn't know wut i waz about and now those same people are going to partiez ( for all the wrong reasons).*~

PLUR
kRisSy
pink pixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2001, 01:37 PM   #19
neutralbastard
Hullaboarder

First, to reply as to whether it would be better to be "underground" again. NO WAY!! I've heard stories about how absolutely awful it is to constantly have to be afraid of getting busted, or the scary prospect of having a thug pushing you around without being able to grab some security.
Sure, it may be more expensive, and us "new ravers" who've never been to an "original" may think of them as something out of legend, but when you think about it, knowing about an event well ahead of time and having access to such incredible DJs must be worth something.
One thing promoters should DEFINITELY stop doing is serve alcohol at these events.
More fruit and less drink, that's what I say!!!!

For those worried about PLURR, it is sooo still around.
I don't really want to advertise for anyone, but if you want great candykid vibes, head to RETURN OF TAO.
All the sick trance and European hardtrance you could ever want.

sorry if Hullaballoo is pissed at me now...

I should end the argument with saying, we have the best rave scene in North america. They're actually busting them more and more in the states. Who knows how much longer the scene will survive there.
In Europe, (I'm from Switzerland) PLURR doesn't even really exist.
There is is ONLY about drugs and music. People get way too fucked up at parties. And lets face it, without the vibe, a party is not a true party.
MAKE NO MISTAKE: There is a Vibe in toronto you won't find anywhere else, and WE'RE KEEPING IT ALIVE!! AND I LOVE YOU ALL FOR IT!

bubye for now

love,
Swissboy

"we can't all do great things, but we can all do small things with
great love" Mother Theresa

Last edited by neutralbastard : October 18th, 2001 at 02:06 PM.
neutralbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2001, 03:38 AM   #20
Everybodies_Daddy
Hullaboarder

woohoo!!!!

We rock..

MCED
Old October 19th, 2001, 01:45 PM   #21
eLECTRONIC pROGRESSION
Hullaboarder

it'll only die if we let it

hey guyz, if we still have fun hittin up raves and the such, who cares?

i look to london england when people ask me if raves are boring... they've been hav'n it large over there for almost twice the time we've been gettin' high here... so, if that sht makes you happy, and you don't hurt anyone, don't kill anyone, don't lose your job... then do that sh t!!!

it's not about a scene, or a movement, or an underground anything, it's about feeling.
eLECTRONIC pROGRESSION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2002, 02:36 AM   #22
EagleScorpion
Hullaboarder
Asteroids Champion! High Score: 58340  Pinball Champion! High Score: 2755  Starship Legend Champion! High Score: 1442  Alien Terminator Champion! High Score: 48924 

Send a message via AIM to EagleScorpion
Quote:
Originally posted by neutralbastard

MAKE NO MISTAKE: There is a Vibe in toronto you won't find anywhere else, and WE'RE KEEPING IT ALIVE!! AND I LOVE YOU ALL FOR IT!

bubye for now

love,
Swissboy

"we can't all do great things, but we can all do small things with
great love" Mother Theresa

I second that. I would SO move to Toronto. It looks bleak down here in the U.S.. Ever been to any good AMERICAN parties?? hard to come by.. at least a good one that doesnt get busted..
Old December 13th, 2002, 01:38 PM   #23
=Funksta=
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 3 View Users Journal
Send a message via ICQ to =Funksta= Send a message via MSN to =Funksta=
Its all about punkrock now.
You can thank Avril, Kelly Osbourne and all the random bands that are out now.
Even though its pop rock because these people dont even sound remotely like punk. They still have the infamous look that everyone wants to have.

Its like calling Sean Desmond hip hop because he wears Enyce.
=Funksta= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2002, 02:54 PM   #24
enD
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to enD
I think that the bad part of the scene are the people who have been partying for 2 years and constantly bitch about everything yet still go to events. I wish those so called "elitists" would just shut the fuck up and dance or go somewhere else. Why are they hanging around? I know going to raves is a bad habit to break, but seriously grow up!

I pretty much went through the same "first rave" experience as most of you guys on here when I started partying 4 years ago, but then when I turned 20 I realized that being childish and shitty was uber lame. It's all about having fun. I wish more people would realize that and let loose. Maybe they need to put the beer down and take a pill again for their own good.

GOODFELLAZ says Goodbye on September 13th, 2008!
www.goodfellaz.ca
enD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2002, 08:52 AM   #25
Move~Your~Stuff
Banned

re

Well the current Fad is Hard Rock
for example

The strokes
the vines
the white stripes etc...

Currently the chubby chicks find this alot more appealing then beats.

Personally I like the strokes but know that they will not come out with more then two CDs

It happened ten years ago.

1990-1993

threat of war
rescession

Rock nirvana/ is cool

its happening again

2000-

threat of war
possible rescession you never know untill its already happened
Rock is cool.

Not a bad thing

Just pointing out some obvious demographic facts.
Move~Your~Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote