The HullaBoard  

Go Back   The HullaBoard > Other Stuff > Politics & Media > Articles (Everywhere else)
User Name
Password
Home Forum Gallery Arcade Journals FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old January 15th, 2001, 01:36 PM   #1
Seal Bounce Champion! High Score:  

its happening.. i donno.. ya might read these and say "whatever" but look at the campaign over the last year with "club drugs" and now its going to start with the
"war on raves." i can't wait to see how our lovely new president handles this one. isn't anyone else a tad frightened by this? anyone else have any thoughts? doubt it... but read on..

http://www.cnn.com/2001/LAW/01/12/o...rave/index.html

'Rave' party organizers indicted under federal drug law

January 12, 2001
Web posted at: 3:26 p.m. EST (2026 GMT)

From CNN Producer Jack Date

NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana (CNN) -- The U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of Louisiana and the Drug Enforcement Administration announced the indictment Friday of three "rave" party organizers, marking the first time the federal "crack house" law has been used for prosecuting organizers of such events.

"Raves" are large dance parties often associated with the drug MDMA, commonly called ecstasy.

The indictments were returned against Robert J. Brunet and James D. Estobinal of Louisiana and Brian J. Brunett of Tampa. Florida as a result of "Operation Rave Review," a joint investigation conducted the DEA and the New Orleans Police Department.

The 1986 law, passed to combat crack cocaine, was designed to punish the owners or operators of houses used for the manufacture, storage, distribution or use
of illegal drugs. Violators face a maximum penalty 20 years on prison and a $500,000 fine.

Users of ecstasy often describe a feeling of euphoria. Researchers have reported the drug can cause brain damage by destroying neurons that produce the neurotransmitter serotonin, responsible for controlling mood, sleep, pain, sexual activity and violent behavior.
--------------------

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/abc/20...ganizers_1.html

Friday January 12 07:52 PM EST
Feds Crack Down on 'Rave' Organizers
By ABCNEWS.com

"Rave" hosts beware. Federal prosecutors say those who organize the parties where so-called club drugs are popular are now the targets of a crackdown.

The dance parties known as "raves" are
widely-considered notorious havens for illegal drugs like ecstasy, and now federal prosecutors are coming after the hosts of such parties.

An indictment today in New Orleans against three men who organized a series of rave parties there could signal a nationwide trend, federal prosecutors said. The case appears to be a widening of the prosecutors'
focus from those who were dealing or doing club drugs to those who organize parties where they are popular.

The New Orleans parties, where prosecutors said hundreds of part-goers overdosed during the last 5 years, took place at a landmark downtown performance hall known as the State Palace Theater.

The rave organizers were indicted by a federal grand jury under the federal "crack house" law, which makes it a crime to make a building available for the use of illegal drugs, in this case drugs like ecstasy and
LSD.

"In my time as a prosecutor this is one of the most unconscionable drug violations I have seen," U.S. Attorney Eddie Jordan said. "They used these raves to exploit young people by designing them for pervasive
drug abuse."

Hundreds of Overdoses

The State Palace Theater was notorious for the overnight parties, where the drug ecstasy was openly available, say local hospital staff. "We were treating a dozen victims from that club every month," said Dr.
Jorge Martinez, who works in the emergency room of New Orleans' Charity Hospital.

The joint investigation by the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration and New Orleans police was sparked in part from complaints by hospital emergency room staff about exceptionally large numbers of patients
suffering from the effects of drugs on "rave" nights.

George Cazenavette, a DEA special agent, said
investigators connected more than 400 overdoses to the raves, which were held periodically from 1995 through August 2000.

The drug, which induces intense euphoria and lowers inhibitions, is particularly trendy among middle class teenagers and young adults and has exploded in popularity in recent years. The DEA estimates 2 million ecstasy tablets are smuggled into the United
States every week.

Now, the DEA has begun a national campaign against the so-called "club drug." "We want to educate the public and our friends in law enforcement to how they can go about stopping these rave parties that are really
there just for drugs," said Joe Keefe, chief of operations for the DEA.

Other Prosecutors Ask About Strategy

Robert J Brunet, 37, of Metairie, La., who leased and managed the State Palace, was charged with conspiracy to violate the crack house law. His brother, Brian Brunet, 33, of Tampa, Fla., was charged along with James Estopinal, 32, of New Orleans, on one count of violating the crack house law.

Each faces maximum penalties of 20 years in prison and $500,000 in fines. The men had been notified of the charges but were not arrested. They were expected to be arraigned next week, Jordan said. The owners of the
theater will not be charged, prosecutors said.

Jordan said federal prosecutors around the country have asked him for copies of the case so they can use the same strategies to crack down on rave organizers in their areas.

By definition, raves are parties where pulsating music, special effects such as steam, and paraphernalia such as pacifiers, chemical light sticks and flashing light rings are used to support highs from club drugs, prosecutors said. Anyone who uses the
word "rave" to market an event could be inviting a federal investigation, they said.

ABCNEWS' Bill Redeker and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

-----------------

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/us/D...aves010112.html

Feds Crack Down on 'Raves'

Prosecutors Pursue Organizers of Parties Where Drug
Use Rampant

Jan. 13 — The dance parties known as "raves" are widely-considered notorious havens for illegal drugs like ecstasy, and now federal prosecutors are coming after the hosts of such parties.

----> An indictment Friday in New Orleans against three men who organized a series of rave parties there could signal a nationwide trend, federal prosecutors said. The case appears to be a widening of the prosecutors' focus from those who were dealing or doing club drugs to those who organize parties where they are popular.

The New Orleans parties, where prosecutors said hundreds of party-goers overdosed during the last 5 years, took place at a landmark downtown performance hall known as the State Palace Theater.

The rave organizers were indicted by a federal grand jury under the federal "crack house" law, which makes it a crime to make a building available for the use of illegal drugs, in this case drugs like ecstasy and
LSD.

"In my time as a prosecutor this is one of the most unconscionable drug violations I have seen," U.S. Attorney Eddie Jordan said. "They used these raves to exploit young people by designing them for pervasive
drug abuse."

Hundreds of Overdoses

The State Palace Theater was notorious for the overnight parties, where the drug ecstasy was openly available, say local hospital staff. "We were treating a dozen victims from that club every month," said Dr.
Jorge Martinez, who works in the emergency room of New Orleans' Charity Hospital.

The joint investigation by the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration and New Orleans police was sparked in part from complaints by hospital emergency room staff about exceptionally large numbers of patients
suffering from the effects of drugs on "rave" nights.

George Cazenavette, a DEA special agent, said
investigators connected more than 400 overdoses to the raves, which

Old January 15th, 2001, 01:36 PM   #2
Seal Bounce Champion! High Score:  

Old January 15th, 2001, 03:45 PM   #3
anabolic frolic
Administrator

Photos: 125  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 5 View Users Journal
That is so crazy it's unbelievable. A rave is SO not a crackhouse. how many people visit crackhouses because the like the music played there and want to visit their friends?
Old January 15th, 2001, 04:19 PM   #4
Roches
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Roches Send a message via MSN to Roches
okay... every time i see something like this it enrages me that a government would even consider the possibility that it has the right to do this.

that country's constitution applies equally to people who like electronic music. you don't get to cry free speech when people kill abortion doctors for jesus, then arrest people for throwing "raves".

i doubt we'll ever have anyone speak out on issues like this, but the way governments treat this culture is absolutely disgusting.

but then, so is everything else in the world.
Old January 15th, 2001, 04:21 PM   #5
Kornflake~Girl
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Kornflake~Girl
Makes you want to dig deep underground caves where beyond the trials and the finger pointing you can dance to your music in peace.

But really, if you get rid of the drug use in the Raving culutre where will it go to next?

I see these newspaper reports as nothing more the scared individuals who are missinformed trying to gain public aproval and proove themselfs right. Its the same with most agrumentive social issues... too many people will be quick to "Point Fingers" and Blame eachother then themselfs, the individual.

I am kind of offended of the term "CrackHouse" too...

All I ask is what we do to protect ourself and what we do from ignorance and finger pointing??

***Goes back to digging her caves- Its gunna be a bitch with all that reverb and echos bouncing around down here***
Old January 15th, 2001, 04:33 PM   #6
Jess
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Jess
Unhappy

this is sad...what can we as ravers do to help?
Old January 15th, 2001, 04:58 PM   #7
ender
Hullaboarder

y'all wanted "the good old days" ... well, they'll be back... breaking into warehouses, no running water, no ambulances, none of the safety of what the more legitimate parties have been like...

be careful what you ask for, for you may get it... you wanted the old days... well, heres yer chance...

the underground wont stop....

Old January 15th, 2001, 05:03 PM   #8
Subsonic Chronic
Hullaboarder

I read these last week. Pretty serious stuff. I'm wondering if city councillors and other politicians would be willing to back raves like some did in Toronto... Once you have even one politician on your side things start to look a little better.

After reading that though... couldn't promoters get off the hook by hiring security guards and doing pat-downs at the door? That in itself is an effort on their part to curb the drug use, and there's no way that the cops could use the crackhouse law against them.

Pete
Old January 15th, 2001, 05:19 PM   #9
anabolic frolic
Administrator

I've never been to a party anywhere in the US that didn't have security searching at the door. Seeing as this is a popular (and legal) concert hall they were using as a venue they must have had some there as well.

Raves can never go back 'underground'. The difference between now and the 'good ol' days' was that the authorities didn't have a clue what a party was and weren't looking for them. and nowadays, even without a flyer, the event would be all over the net. Police only need to monitor a couple key sites and they'd know everything thats going on should they want to.
Old January 15th, 2001, 05:27 PM   #10
TwEeK
Hullaboarder

Ok I know this may get some attitude from it but.well here goes. I kind of think we should take a little responsibility from it. I mean not all of us BUT SOME OF US do use e and other illegal substances. Do u think if there we more sober raver's we would have less of these issues at our doorstep? Take the MTV special report called:
"I'm on estacy "
They seemed to show the people who go to parties just to get fu*ked up. I mean that's not all they portrayed, but for the most part what was shown? Kids rolling their faces off in front of millions of TV viewers with pacifiers in there mouths. I mean don’t get me wrong I’m not trying to preach and say drugs are bad. I have done them b4. But I just want to know should we take some blame for the heat we are receiving. I mean if the media did not see us in that light would we have those same issues?
Old January 15th, 2001, 05:33 PM   #11
EN
Hullaboarder

Red face

Yeah this is some scary stuff going on...

Just over the last couple of months there have been a few major ecstasy problems here in Detroit that have me worried about the current state of the rave scene. Just last month a girl OD'd and died at a popular club, and also a toddler ate his mothers ecstasy that he found in her purse...scary

-EN
Old January 15th, 2001, 05:39 PM   #12
cheery-O
Hullaboarder

do you think that the police and government would be against raves if there was no drugs at them?

~khriS
Old January 15th, 2001, 05:56 PM   #13
ender
Hullaboarder

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by anabolic frolic:
Raves can never go back 'underground'. The difference between now and the 'good ol' days' was that the authorities didn't have a clue what a party was and weren't looking for them. and nowadays, even without a flyer, the event would be all over the net. Police only need to monitor a couple key sites and they'd know everything thats going on should they want to.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i strongly disagree.

if the police are prosecuting people because they are throwing these parties, the only way to have the parties is to move them back underground... back into the very early, primitive days... also much more dangerous days...

i dont think that "the man" will be succesful in destroying rave culture, or whatever. Look how successful they have been with illegal substances.

i'm located in philly, and there is a concerted effort to "destroy" the above ground scene here. Legitimate clubs (those that serve alcohol) are only allowed to stay open until either 2:30 or 3:30 (public vs. "private"). Philly has stopped giving "dance hal permits" to the underage clubs that used to stay open past 2.

BANG 4 was cancelled this last summer... there was a whole lot of shadiness involved, but basically, it boiled down to the police promising to shut down any party such as BANG on July 4th weekend....

I highly doubt that Whistle 4 will ever materialize. Local 13 cant use the South Jersey expo center next year, there was just way too much negative publicity at W3.

Whats my point, eh? well, that there is still an after-hours scene in philly, you'll find flyers right after the clubs close, and they are all completely under-ground, and most of them are run by the various Organized Crime (tm) families of philadelphia.

If this sort of thing catches on, i predict a whole lot more "outlaw" parties and underground events. How will they avoid detection? simple - dont use websites, ravelinks, whatever... back to black & white flyers... DJ's are gonna get paid less...

but the rave scene wont go away...
Old January 15th, 2001, 06:14 PM   #14
XSTACEY
Hullaboarder

Red face

WHoa a Kid ate his moms XTC??? now thats irresponsibility.... *tsk tsk*

Its too bad about the states now...but i could see that comin ...ZI mena lOOk at all them druggie on ... n/m not gonna say

bleh
Stace
Old January 15th, 2001, 06:44 PM   #15
Kornflake~Girl
Hullaboarder

***Strongly agrees with ender***
Old January 15th, 2001, 07:07 PM   #16
bucky
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to bucky Send a message via AIM to bucky

We should be fighting for the rights to keep a club open all night long to dance, not giving in and letting them pass laws to let it close at 2am, and then say "we're taking it underground." Ya let that happen and the government wins in taking away our rights.

I wasn't partying during the whole "underground days" but it just seems like too many people are stuck on that mindset and not wanting to get involved with politics, thus they can pass these laws fuck us all.

At every party there is someone doing body searches at the door, but I don't think thats going to stop the "feds" from trying to crack down.

Maybe its time that record labels, dj's, promoters, ravers start speaking up - people who are well recognized, Bad Boy Bill, Frankie Bones.. anyone to take the initiative and try to start a battle against the negativity. I donno... not doing anything is what makes it worse, and noone seems to want to do anything except say "take it back underground" - to me thats giving in to the bastards who are elected into office. or maybe i'm missing the point entirely... i donno.
Old January 15th, 2001, 07:45 PM   #17
Nubbie
Hullaboarder

Photos: 2  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to Nubbie Send a message via MSN to Nubbie
Should the United States effectively ban Raves, what do you guys think the far reaching implications of this would be?

Personaly I think the rave scene down there would move slightly underground in the southern states, and the most Northern ones would have the Americans flooding over here if they could make it for parties.

This would probably lead to US pressure for Canada to take the same stance on those 'All night rave dance parties' and their rampant 'xtc' drug.

We'll see how this all turns out, for better or worse.
-=Nub=-
Old January 15th, 2001, 10:27 PM   #18
GrabsJoker
Hullaboarder

nubbie, there was a poll done recently in canada regarding the decriminalization, at least partly of pot, and it was determined that the majority of people were in favor of it. the only reason it hasnt been done yet, though, is that the US is your neighbor.

the US is a huge factor in the world, and in politics. pretty much, what we say goes, even in canada. i wish it didnt. i know what canada is like and i know it is a separate company, but if they make too many laws that are in conflict with those of the US, then the US is going to lean on canada until canada coincides with the US. its a bad thing, dont get me wrong, but its a fact. so, believe that if the "crack house" law really does start to have a real effect on raves in the US, its going to reach into canada as well.

personally, im outraged, as are most of us here. but its more than just raves, its the state of the US as a whole. being an american is looked down upon by the rest of the world because my country is run by a bunch of assholes. thats why im trying to make things better, by becoming active and being less concerned with myself. i ask that the rest of you read this and try and change things around you. if all you do is bitch, nothing is gonna happen. but if you put forth effort, then you can change things. *sigh*, i feel im getting off topic. sorry.

to sum it up, this law sucks. and im not gonna just bitch about it, im gonna do what i can to try and change it and other laws like it, and i urge you all to do the same.

brian
candyjunglist@hotmail.com
Old January 15th, 2001, 10:47 PM   #19
anabolic frolic
Administrator

re: going underground

well if shit like this is happening to promoters who put on parties in legit venues I certainly wouldn't want to be the one cought throwing an 'underground' party with legislation like that kicking around.
Old January 16th, 2001, 01:18 AM   #20
MC SpEcS
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to MC SpEcS
Thing is, if you look at the case before them, there is NO way it will stand up in court.

You cannot prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that their intention was to have "rave drugs" sold within the event. Evidence to p[rove this would be the "No thugs, no drugs, no attitudes" kinda messager on the back of the flyer. Also, having security guards doing pat downs at the door is another piece of evidence against it. I want to know how thye can prove that it was the INTENTION of the manager of the club to have illegal substances in the building.

All they need is a good attorney and they will be fine.

I fucking hate the government. Especially the American government. If they can't even elect a President properly and that has been around for more then a hundred years? Then how the hell do they know how to deal with somethign they know NOTHING about?

Hmmmmm...arent these the same questions we were asking about how dumb our government was? The only difference with our government is that we don't elect rednecks How many rednecks have been in office now? Bush, Clinton.........the OTHER Bush. How dumb are these people?

I think we need to get the people involved in these cases in touch with the lawyers that handled the inquest up here.

OK...I'm done....time for bed.
Old January 16th, 2001, 01:41 AM   #21
anabolic frolic
Administrator

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
The rave organizers were indicted by a federal grand jury under the federal "crack house" law
</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

from what I understand they're just awaiting sentancing. this is why this is so scary, specs.
Old January 16th, 2001, 02:14 AM   #22
Dj PyRO
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Dj PyRO
ahhh, guilty, dont tell me i and everyone else doesnt do it, its half the fun, B**Z* CL** what would that be kellan, and dont call me at 600 in the morning when i just had a full night of drinking and drugs, i put the stupid phone under the bed and you call and i couldnt finf the ringing for 10 min, i drove the 5 of us nuts.
Old January 16th, 2001, 03:23 AM   #23
Kornflake~Girl
Hullaboarder

the really ugly truth about this whole thing is that we are all guilty before we are aclaimed innocent.

what do you do if you cant go underground and they are preventing you coming out of the light? it seems in times like these that many law officals have a handful of rocks to throw and each and every single one of us has red target marks on our faces even before they understand who and what we are.

how do we cope and how do we show them that they are wrong?

Old January 16th, 2001, 10:35 AM   #24
*katie*
Hullaboarder

Smile

^^^how do we cope? don't give them ammo.

I am stopped at least 75% of the time going over the border when I come to TO, simply for my phat pants, I swear. yes, we are targeted, because E has become such a national concern in the past year and the rave community faces the most hassle for it. but I never have anything. (step #1 -- don't do drugs in public) and every time I'm clean, I feel a strong sense of "fuck you" and "ha ha" to each and every government official who's trying to stop me from getting my rave on.

yes, we are guilty before being innocent. yes, we are persecuted and it sucks. but our image will only change when the values that we are known for change. and in most people's minds ravers = druggies. if everyone would take their own small baby steps to change that, we'd be all good. if that means clean parties, so be it. if that meant everyone leaving their drugs @ home to do later, so be it. it would certainly get rid of this stigma attached to us, and that would be a treat.

katie
Old January 16th, 2001, 11:11 AM   #25
quantum
Hullaboarder

Angry

OH MY GOD!!!!!

THIS IS FUCKING BULLSHIT!!!!!!

I AM SO PISSED OFF!!!!!!!

You can even tell that none of these so-called "reports" have no research done on them and are COMPLETELY BIASED.

This is a crime, it is called SLANDER.

How could they think of a rave as a crackhouse?!

This is the worst I have ever seen this happen.