The HullaBoard  

Go Back   The HullaBoard > Hullabaloo Events > Archives (read-only) > WEMF 1999
User Name
Password
Home Forum Gallery Arcade Journals FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old July 19th, 1999, 03:05 PM   #1
Seal Bounce Champion! High Score:  

I typed this out in one go and am too tired to proof read it, so i hope it makes sense.

what an adventure, to say the least, and it's still not over yet for me.

This party has been somewhat of a nightmare for me since it followed so closely on the heels of our last birthday party, so the whole ordeal was quite exhausting.

I'll start this little story on friday. Well, a little before that i guess. The plans for the weekend were that I was going to rent an RV to use as a base of operations, djs could leave their records in a safe place (with a guard at the door 24hours) and the out of town djs were booked in some rooms that I thought were on-site somewhere. anyways, as the weekend drew closer we had no luck locating an rv, so then just tried to rent a van to take the djs up and back, but because the indy here in town that weekend, no car could be located anywhere. I haven't had a car since december, so getting there and back was starting to become a real obstacle.

What I was left with was a friend of mine trying to find a car from somewhere we could borrow and another friend had offered to pick up some of the djs from the airport on friday and drive them up.

madam zu arrived thursday night, so we picked her up succesfully and checked her into a hotel downtown for the night. the plan was then to head up early friday (leave around 2pm) check her into her room so she could rest and clean up with plenty of time for her set friday night.

so around 1pm friday and went to her hotel and brought her back to my place where we waited for my friend Rick to show up with his car. My girlfriend, Robin, and her friend Holly were waiting already and they kept Zu busy playing some mario party. Hours passed by with no sign or word from Rick. a buddy of his had shown up with a hotdog cart van that we were supposed to take up as well to haul all our gear up. more hours passed with no sign of him. so by 7pm we decided just to climb into the hotdog truck and take that up. Let me explain that this truck has only 2 seats, no seatbelts, and Madam Zu, Robin and Holly were all stuck sitting in the back on coolers as seats. They rigged the back window to stay open a bit with some cardboard and a bungee cord. we were still chuckling to ourselves a bit about what an adventure this was. about 20 mins into our ride though, the truck broke down! we got stuck at Dixie and 401. We made some calls, but had no way to continue our trip, so I just called a taxi, cause it was getting so late and i knew for every hour I was missing from the party more madness would be waiting for me when i got there.

the taxi picked us up in a timely fashion and we headed up, that part was pretty uneventful, a bit of getting lost but no big deal. but as we got somewhat close the taxi driver told us he couldn't finish the trip because he didn't have enough propane to get back to toronto! when we got to the big car lineup close to the venue we had to call a second cab company to come pick us up near that tim hortons. no local cab company wanted to drive up there though because of the traffic, so i finally convinced one to do it for $50 (total taxi bill : $275). The good thing about hiring the local taxi was that she knew a back way to the venue, and we pulled up right to the front of the venue with NO traffic or stopping at all. so we got to the front unloaded all our crap got our wristbands without much hassle by now it was probably passed midnight.

I now was trying to find out where the little cabins were that my out of town djs were supposed to stay at, and I find out they're not on site, but on the main strip. I had no idea where this was, what rooms, what names they were booked under or anything. I should say that my involvement with the entire 3day was pretty mininal, and a lot of the details (even with my own tent) were left to the main organizers (Destiny and lifeforce). So i left Madam Zu at the front with Robin and Holly and went into the party to find someone who might know something about my rooms.

Now I'm running around in the dark woods trying to find one of the main promoters, needle in haystack time. in the meantime I found the hullabaloo tent which was less than half the size it was supposed to be, but that was the least of my worries at that point. I bumped into the rest of the uk boys who had been waiting for hours for me to show up and all they wanted to do was go rest. so i brought them all the front door to wait together while i hunted down the promoters again.

I finally tracked down Eryk S. but he didn't know anything about my situation. but he ran away to find out. he arrived a short while later with an address and room #s for me. since I ended up getting to the party by taxi I had no means of transportation for the djs, so my poor friend Arthur got involuntarily drafted to be our driver and took them to their hotels. I took my gear and walked back into the party to set up my tent. I set it up near the hulla tent so i could be around it at all times. but i forgot how noisy it was going to be if i needed to rest while music was playing.

about an hour later Tyler from lifeforce and Ryan from destiny see me from their golfcart and tell me they have the keys to my rooms! I'm like "oh shit". before long I spot magika and sure enough they couldn't get into their rooms. on top of that, the rooms that they were staying at were the equivalent of a LAWNMOWER SHACK. they refused to stay there, vinylgroover was demanding to be driven back to toronto. Madam Zu didn't want to spin on friday anymore because she hadn't had time to chill out. It was turning into a disaster of , oh, i can't even begin to say how large. But there was nothing we could do about their rooms at this time, driving back wasnt an option and there were no rooms to be found anywhere else.

I walked back to arthur's car where zu and groover were sleeping. At that point no one had the energy to complain anymore and they just wanted to sleep. so they took their keys and went to their rooms. I told them I'd meet them in the morning and we'd all head to the beach.

I get dominik and smithy to cover the extra time vacated by madam zu and druid not playing on friday and then i crashed in my tent.

--day 2--

I woke up around 7am and started wandering around looking for any sign of Arthur, or E-by-gum or anyone else who might have a car or know where wareabouts of my djs.

Hours pass, I decide to wait by the hulla tent hoping that someone i know would pass by. I ended up waiting the whole day there. Probably sat on the speakers for about 10 hours. at least I was able to chat with some friendly hullakids for most of the day. I was petrified that the uk djs were waiting in their shack for me to pick them up all day. I was totally stranded, it was not a good situation. I was afraid my friend arthur had gone back home to toronto due to all the stress he went through for me hauling the djs around the previous night. later in the day I heard reports that some of the djs were spotted at the beach playing soccer, so that relieved my stress somewhat. but i was still worried sick until they got to the party. turned out arthur crashed at the rooms as well and him and e-by-gum and the djs all went to the beach, so i was glad they were able to get out and enjoy themselves.

Night rolled around and this is where things were awesome. The Hullabaloo tent rocked hard all night. from beginning till morning it was rammed and going crazy. By the time I was scheduled to play I was so relieved I knew I was gonna have a wicked set, there was just too much stress in me that needed to be relieved. it was very reminiscent of how I felt at Hulla7(electric dreams) for those of you who were there and know about all the trouble we went through in the first part of the night.

then at the end of my set was that infamous moment with Robin on the mic. too say i was scared shitless of that moment would be an understatement . I was so relieved when i realised it was a joke, although i dont t

Old July 19th, 1999, 03:05 PM   #2

Old July 19th, 1999, 03:25 PM   #3
Klubmasta Will
Hullaboarder

Thumbs up

frolic, i hope everyone knows and appreciates how much shit you go through to make sure we all have a good time. that's why we all love you.

atro, we all love you now too.

Klubmasta Will
Old July 19th, 1999, 03:36 PM   #4
goosE Egg
Hullaboarder

Thumbs up

Definitely my feelings as well. I had a superior time at WEMF, and I want to express immense appreciation for all the nailbiting hard work you went through in order to squeeze lemon juice from a rock. Very few people knew anything about what was going on "behind the scenes" which shows how much you tried to make it GREAT for everyone else. Kudos to Frolic, Atro, Robin, et al. for everything you did.

-goosE Egg

Ps. Great meeting you again, Chris!

[This message has been edited by goosE Egg (edited 07-19-1999).]
Old July 19th, 1999, 05:25 PM   #5
MuFFiN
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to MuFFiN
yes Go ATRO!!!
Old July 19th, 1999, 05:33 PM   #6
Subsonic Chronic
Hullaboarder

Thumbs up

Thank you for the opportunity, once again Chris. It made me really happy to see you having such a good time Saturday night after hearing about what you had to go through.
Pete
(why am i at work?? I'm falling asleep)
Old July 19th, 1999, 05:39 PM   #7
DreameChilde
Hullaboarder

Yay atro! Heh heh if I'd known about the driving problem I woulda stuck around considering I has 4 seats available...aw well to late now eh?

And nice to meet all of you *finally*...frolic, atro, will, muffin, and Goose Egg (again)...
Old July 19th, 1999, 06:11 PM   #8
silver1
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to silver1
Wink

Oh no!! No Hulla Tent at next years WEMF?(from what it sounds like). Chris, I'm glad I saw you with a smile on your face on Sunday morning after it was all said and done. Aurthur is THE SHIT. Or as the Brits would say, "F**king Class Mate". BTW Aurthur, sorry the Gin never happened. I guess it was a pretty crazy weekend. We'll have to have a rain check on that.
Old July 19th, 1999, 06:15 PM   #9
Wunderbrat
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Wunderbrat
Talking

Saturday night I lost all my friends and was kinda nervous about it cuz the place was so big, dark, and scary. Then I went into the hulla tent just in time to hear you spin and I quickly forgot about everything. It was so amazing there that I skipped the Dentist, Liberator, and Mickey Finn.
there's nothing like hullabaloo
*BiGG HuGGZZ*
Wunderbrat
Old July 19th, 1999, 06:17 PM   #10
LadySpace
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to LadySpace
Good story frolic
Thanks for doing what you do
Even if I wasn't there!

Whaddya gunna call yer puppie?
Old July 19th, 1999, 06:44 PM   #11
UU7
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to UU7
Thumbs up

well, somehow you pulled it together and made it an amazing party. Having zu play on Sat actually turned out really good since it was so close behind mzone's. I think most ppl really enjoyed themselves and I hope you had some time to experiance that wikked sat night

Adam =)
Old July 19th, 1999, 09:29 PM   #12
strongbow
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to strongbow
Never ceases to amaze me how well Chris manages to make a Hullabaloo party out of some duct tape, binder twine, and swiss cheese. Way to go, Chris.

strongbow
keep the vibe alive
Old July 19th, 1999, 09:38 PM   #13
Stan
Hullaboarder

Talking

Anabolic Frolic is the McGuyver of party organizers.
Old July 19th, 1999, 09:41 PM   #14

I'm glad it all turned out alright in the end. There are no hard feelings Chris. I had a good time hanging out with our hulla guests. The only stress that ensued was when I had to fit 5 of them into my car (no AC) for a 2.5 hr car drive back, when everyone was gone already. Guess what you're getting for your bday Chris! A cellphone!

Tommy, I'm still up for that gin. You name the place and time, and I'll bring the drinks.

A.

Old July 20th, 1999, 03:53 PM   #15
bUbbles
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to bUbbles
Wink

WhAt A fUcKeD uP wEEkEnd
sOOOOOO gLAd I DiDn't GO
hUgs
bUbbles

ps: next time just let me organize
Old July 20th, 1999, 07:32 PM   #16
~*Butterfly*~
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to ~*Butterfly*~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~*Butterfly*~
Talking

Hey!
well this wemf was a wikked party, i had tons of fun. Saturday nite was probably the best nite fer me. I danced in the hulla tent from like 12-4 straight, and id always wander back in when id leave, i just couldnt stay away i guess It was so great to see all mah wikked friends again and to party with some new ones

*LuV & HuGs*
~*Butterfly*~
Old July 21st, 1999, 08:47 AM   #17
ScottE
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to ScottE
Thumbs up

Frolic, I must say, you did a great job on the hulla tent, I have nothing to complain about, except for that damn pothole in the grass.. I think that you deserve alot of thanks from everyone for working so hard and going through alot of stressful shit to throw some of the best parties in to (and out). I wouldn't blame ya if you desided not to be a part of the next WEMF, but you would be missed!
Anyways, for now, I think you need to go down south and take a nice loong deserved break.

ScottE

[This message has been edited by ScottE (edited 07-21-1999).]
Old July 21st, 1999, 04:15 PM   #18
elixir
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to elixir
Thumbs up

Thanks again Chris for putting up with all the crap and haveing a wicked Tent. It was wicked seeing you getting down and dancing!!

sorry again for sleeping in during my set.. ack..ack.. I will make it up to you

Thanks again!
Old July 21st, 1999, 04:45 PM   #19
Xtasee
Hullanewbie

Thank you so much Chris! I'm so glad you posted your story so everyone can at least somewhat grasp the hell you go through to make us all such happy little Hulla ravers.

I for one had no idea all this shite was going on (the sign of a wonderful organizer -- no one knows there's a problem!). But I'll tell ya right now, if I had known, my car would have been your car. Please, in the future, if you have ANY transportation problems, let me know. While we've only met once, briefly at Sunshine's, we know many of the same people, so I SWEAR it would be no imposition at all.

Now go... enjoy the rest of your summer and just relax!

Much love, respect and THANK YOU'S!!!
Jules
Old July 22nd, 1999, 02:52 PM   #20
kUtE*sTaR*
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to kUtE*sTaR*
Ok Ok I thought the Hulla tent was the BEST tent at WEMF! My friend Dawn and I spent all our time in there and freaked out when Anabolic Frolic came on! All i gotta say is that Frolic you spun a wicked Ass set and I'm lookin forward to the next party you spin at!!!!!!

*hugs* and *lotsa stickers*

kUtE*sTaR*-----> P L U R

Old July 23rd, 1999, 02:44 PM   #21
hyppy
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to hyppy
Chris,

Clap clap! You kept your audience happy and dancing and that's all that matters in the end. You gave us a better party than promised which is always the case and you certainly had the best arena in the place. The party was exhausting and disappointing just enough that I think this is my last one, but I'm so happy to have been a part of them these past two years. I had a crappy time at 3-day 3 years ago and believe me, the ONLY reason I came back was for Hulla and Hulla only (okay, Dubtribe too but they couldn't show).

And you personally were the brightest star in the brilliant Hulla galaxy on the outskirts of the dark and mysterious Destiny universe. We're all relieved that our big bucks entitled us to at least one arena that was all it said it would be. And on top of it all, even through all this insanity and hustle, you still took the time to give me a hello and a wave. A personalized one, yet.

As always, expect more tapes in the future. And to anyone else reading this, I urge you to copy tapes, draw pictures, write poems and letters, and give them directly to Anabolic Frolic who is the creator of so so much in this city. He's of course given us Hullabaloo, he's given us music, he's inspired us to throw our own parties, and he's showcased the very best talent there is in our own city and way over the water.

Thank you, thank you, thank you Chris.

Brian
Old July 23rd, 1999, 05:36 PM   #22
jellibeen
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to jellibeen
Thumbs up

Chris, hell of a job. You looked sooo stressed out last Saturday, when you told us the story, I totally understood why. I could not pull myself from the Hulla tent for long periods of time, even though there were so many other acts I wanted to see at the other tents. Thanks again for the great time, even now I can still say it was the best weekend of my life.

jellibeen