Photos: 125  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 5 View Users Journal
Montreal: Bal fans far from raving

Bal fans far from raving
Partygoers say bash was short on seats, toilets - and music

MONIQUE BEAUDIN
Montreal Gazette

Tuesday, April 02, 2002

It was the first time that Nadia Trudel had been to the annual Bal en Blanc bash, but she had plenty of advice for the organizers as she left the Olympic Stadium yesterday.

"The music was just great, but there weren't enough black lights," said Trudel, one of hundreds of people clad head-to-toe in white who trickled out of the stadium into the gray drizzle of an early April shower yesterday morning.

"And they could have had some places for people to sit down," she added.

"And maybe it could have been decorated better."

Other partygoers who spoke to The Gazette yesterday complained about the music, the lack of places to sit, half-hour waits for the bathrooms and a last-minute change of venue that saw the party move to the Olympic Stadium from the Palais des Congrès.

"The music started out well, but it dragged at the end," said Jacques Zara, who attended his fourth Bal en Blanc this weekend.

An employee of the company that organized the event said 8,000 people attended the overnight party, which began Sunday night and wrapped up yesterday morning. It marked the end of a week of "White Party" activities in Montreal that organizers said attracted people from across Canada and the United States.

Partygoers wore white, with feather boas, bikini tops, sheer skirts, muscle shirts and top hats among the most popular items of clothing.

Security guards searched people as they went into the stadium, and police seized drugs from 71 people, said Constable Brigitte Barabé of the Montreal Police Department. They were all carrying small amounts of drugs, for personal use, and were let go with a warning, Barabé said.

Thirteen other people, all men between the age of 19 and 30, were to be arraigned in court yesterday on charges of drug possession or drug- trafficking, she said. Police seized mainly Ecstasy, but also found cocaine, marijuana, hashish and speed.

Tina Joubert said everyone was searched as they entered.

"They were checking peoples' shoes, hats, pockets, wallets and pagers," she said.

Signs were posted at the entrance that said anyone with drugs would immediately be expelled.

The Bal en Blanc was supposed to have been held this year at the Palais des Congrès, but was moved last week because the convention centre is still being renovated and wouldn't be able to handle Bal en Blanc's large crowd.

The Montreal fire department told organizers that there were only enough emergency exits to permit 2,750 people into the convention centre, far fewer than the 8,000 who had already bought tickets for $50 to $75, organizers said.

Several people yesterday said they were disappointed that the event was moved, noting that everyone would have been in the same room at the convention centre, and that it has more and better bathrooms than the Olympic Stadium.

"I think most people were disappointed that it wasn't at the Palais des Congrès," said fourth-time Bal en Blanc partygoer Danii Desjardins. "It's more accessible and it's cleaner."

- Monique Beaudin's E-mail address is mbeaudin@thegazette.southam.ca.

© Copyright 2002 Montreal Gazette
anabolic frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2002, 08:47 PM   #2
anabolic frolic
Administrator

The attitude of this article both amuses me and makes me REALLY mad.

If this were a rock concert or something you can bet that the local media would have some happy screaming concert goer in the front of the entertainment section going on about how awesome the band was.

But out of 8000 attendees, they choose quotes from people who had overall unflattering things to say about the event.

Just another article trying to make raves unfashionable for some unknown persons agenda. It will take it's toll in Montreal just as it has in Toronto.
Old April 2nd, 2002, 08:49 PM   #3
anabolic frolic
Administrator

Police make arrests at rave

NTR

Monday, April 01, 2002

About 60 party-goers were arrested Sunday night at the Bal en Blanc rave that is continuing at the Olympic Stadium until Monday afternoon with as many as 11,000 people in attendance.

According to Montreal police, the people were arrested for possessing drugs. The drug ecstasy is common at such events and the police said they wanted to be monitor the event for that reason.

Ecstasy is a hallucinogenic drug that many take because of the engery it generates. It is considered to be a drug that is dangerous for your health.

Ecstasy pills sell for between $25 and $45 on the street, but cost only 50 cents to produce. Police believe that criminal gangs are interested in this lucrative trade.

© Copyright 2002 NTR
Old April 2nd, 2002, 08:56 PM   #4
mrmagoo
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to mrmagoo
Good god the media sucks!
Old April 3rd, 2002, 11:43 AM   #5
ghost_girl
Hullaboarder

Photos: 4  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to ghost_girl
ecxtacy really sucks...

It's crazy these days how things are with drugs.

who is Nadia Trudel?

8000' attendants? are you kidding me?!

I haven't been or know that much about Montreal but
i know the life style there is more open from what other
friends tell me. Most people there are more friendlly

If there's any city that has huge events like that it
would be ...parts in Germany and U.K.
even down in Australia.
ghost_girl is offline   Reply With Quote