User Name
Password
Home Forum Gallery Arcade Journals FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old September 26th, 2002, 10:23 PM   #1
dagapman
Hullaboarder

Techno...? Dead? What The HE|_|_!?

Read this article and tell me what you think... i think this guy is a SICK sick person who knows nothing ABOUT techno....

Go TO: http://www.cnn.com/2002/SHOWBIZ/Mus...inem/index.html

Please bitch at him there too!!!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Is Eminem right about techno-pop music?
He's dissed Moby and the entire genre, but he's not alone

David Browne

(Entertainment Weekly) -- You remember electronica, or techno, or whatever term you used to describe it over the last decade?

I do, and those memories are pretty sweet: Watching the Chemical Brothers engage in knob-twirling and fist-pumping -- a PC-era Wayne and Garth -- at a packed show. Instantly feeling elated by the mix of beats and hooks on any number of great singles -- Moby's "Go," Utah Saints' "Something Good," Underworld's "Born Slippy." The sound of John Digweed's "Heaven Scent" at the climax of the indie rave film "Groove." Paul Oakenfold's "Tranceport" album. And on and on.

The key phrase in the paragraph above is "the last decade," because at this point, the sad fact is that this once-vibrant genre has, like my computer on a bad day, frozen up. Not commercially, in an ironic turn of events: This summer, we've witnessed two singles, Dirty Vegas' "Days Go By" and now Daniel Bedingfield's "Gotta Get Thru This," blend pop and techno into a pleasant, if inconsequential, middle ground between the two styles. But as nice as it was to hear those bleeps and bloops in "Days Go By" on a top 40 station, there's no denying that most of the thrill is gone.

Staying the course
The unfortunate reality is that a music steeped in constant change and reinvention has settled into some of its own ruts and routines. Staying the course, rather than innovating, is the current rule of thumb. After a five-year break, the Prodigy returned this summer with a new single, "Baby's Got a Temper." I've played it several times, and damn if I can remember much about it -- which sure wasn't the case with "Firestarter," and I don't just mean Keith Flint's reverse mohawk in the video.

There's still just enough to please the ear. Bent's "Programmed to Love" and Rinocerose's "Music Kills Me" albums were two highlights of the past year. Moby's underrated "Play" has many magical moments. And Layo and Bushwacka!'s new "Night Works" has its moments. But they're exceptions. Most of the rest, particularly the flood of DJ mix albums, feels stuck in time.

Anyone should have seen it coming, since pop genres tend to have roughly five-year lifespans. It's revealing that electronica and teen pop, both born of the clubhopping and affluent youth culture of the '90s, are running dry. With any luck, the music, like the economy it once mirrored, is simply going through a slump. "Rave Till Dawn," goes the title of an anthology in my CD collection. Maybe we're all realizing exactly how TIRED one gets by that time of day.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

THis guy's a dick!!!

lotssa Lovin.
Old September 27th, 2002, 06:13 PM   #2
limey
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 7 View Users Journal
It'd help if he knew what techno was
Old September 27th, 2002, 06:39 PM   #3
pointy_sticks
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to pointy_sticks Send a message via AIM to pointy_sticks Send a message via Yahoo to pointy_sticks
He's not a dick at all. He was expressing a legitimate observation about the decline in the quality of techno-pop, which is different from techno and from electronic music as a whole. He did not even bash the genre, on the contrary he said that he hopes it is merely in a slump...indicating that he is just another fan hoping that the current stagnation in the genre is only temporary.

Next time, don't get so up in arms that you miss the point entirely.
Old September 28th, 2002, 01:09 PM   #4
Technology
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Technology
Mr Happy says he's dumb

my life has been wasted!

(as one of the board's technosnobs, I suggest people go look in the Marco Carola thread for October 13th)
Technology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2002, 01:09 AM   #5
Everybodies_Daddy
Hullaboarder

Photos: 8  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 25 View Users Journal
Send a message via ICQ to Everybodies_Daddy
How can Prodigy produce new choons without the Ruff man?

It's a sin I tell you.

MCED

Hot + Dirty
Everybodies_Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2003, 04:33 PM   #6
DanielJ
Banned

Why do people have to make comments about techno when they dont even know what real techno is. Firstly the prodigy is definately not techno, not even the old stuff, and im fed up of people referring to happy hardcore and trance as techno music when its not. Techno is the original detroit stuff (jeff mills etc), gabba, speedcore, hardcore techno etc and whatever else.
DanielJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2003, 02:49 PM   #7
tekcajder
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to tekcajder
Quote:
Originally posted by pointy_sticks
He's not a dick at all. He was expressing a legitimate observation about the decline in the quality of techno-pop, which is different from techno and from electronic music as a whole. He did not even bash the genre, on the contrary he said that he hopes it is merely in a slump...indicating that he is just another fan hoping that the current stagnation in the genre is only temporary.

Next time, don't get so up in arms that you miss the point entirely.

yep

and look at the news source! CNN?!?!
(ever notice how all of their articles are
noting something negative? not positive?)

but anyhow, i was listening to a pascal feos
set the other day and one of the disc's he
mixed had a sample of eminem saying "nobody
listens to techno so lets go" (i'm sure a few
of you have heard it) ... if anything, its one
of the best samples i've heard in a while
[edit2- btw if anyone knows the name of
that track i'd really appreciate it]

-james.

edit: for the record tho ... i'd just like to say, just because it isn't mainstream doesn't mean there arent innovative producers. anyone partaking in the ravescene for even just a few months realizes how much of the music has no representation in the mainstream public (aside from a nasty image that has a negative effect) ... i don't agree with him, but even so, he has a valid point (even if its sort of narrow minded and unresearched)

he notes "firestarter" being this great prodigy song, well, ok, it was a pretty good song, but what about the 2 albums prior? most acts that push in to mainstream either flurish for a while, or crash and burn, and unfortunatly ... prodigy had its time in the public eye ... and i'm sure its hurt their record sales. success on that broad a scale isn't really a great thing ... especially when you have people who "kinda" get it ... and those who hate it.

what was the saying from back in the day?

"ACDC's rock and roll, disco sucks and so does soul."

its a shame that people get so territorial w/ music ... but whatever ... to me, electronic music is alive and well, and if its dead to that guy, i honestly feel bad for him.

Last edited by tekcajder : August 26th, 2003 at 03:01 PM.
tekcajder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2003, 03:53 PM   #8
GummiBear
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to GummiBear Send a message via Yahoo to GummiBear
Mainstreem doesnt really mean good. Isnt there another forum about fads in here? Well how many people do u think dress/act/ and listen to music they dont really care to much for? just to be cool...yeah, pretty sad. Since "techno" as they call it, is so bashed on...only the people who truly like it tend to fall into that catagory. That makes it stronger, and ive noticed there are lots of very deep thinkers who listen to hardcore. And there is a reason for that, i just dont feel like typing anymore ^_^

and whats with people not only getting terratorial about their music, but revolving their life around it? I see rappers and they act just like whatever they listen to. Dress with their fat albert shirts and all that, and are disrespectful to women, and so closed minded to listen to ANYTHING but Rap....*sigh*
Punk rockers have the ratty cloths, anyway i think ive said this before in another forum....moving on ^_^
GummiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2004, 05:08 AM   #9
JonHennessy
Hullanewbie

Techno has since died into a relm of the past. There are a few "dinosours" who still enjoy true "techno" at an event around here, mostly the talent we are booking is more dnb, hardcore genre's to please the kids. I personaly like techno, i think it transends everything we know of today as a "rave". Just people aren't into it like they used to be, doesn't get em' dancing anymore...
JonHennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2004, 01:26 PM   #10
brooklynhype
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 21 View Users Journal
prodigy kicks ass. I don't think theyre techno though.. Personally I don't listen to techno. Why do you care if its dead? You can still listen to it, it just means that some people dont like it anymore. I'm not trying to be mean if you think that.. I hate rude people.
Old April 6th, 2004, 06:29 PM   #11
astralkid
Hullaboarder

Photos: 1  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 1 View Users Journal
I grew up, and realized how shitty it was... , u know whats keeping it alive... movie soundtracks
astralkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2004, 02:39 AM   #12
Nubbie
Hullaboarder

Photos: 2  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to Nubbie Send a message via MSN to Nubbie
the hullaboard's only Techno snob to the rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonHennessy
Techno has since died into a relm of the past. There are a few "dinosours" who still enjoy true "techno" at an event around here, mostly the talent we are booking is more dnb, hardcore genre's to please the kids. I personaly like techno, i think it transends everything we know of today as a "rave". Just people aren't into it like they used to be, doesn't get em' dancing anymore...

I disagree with that.
There are a great deal of techno names being thrown around still... and a great deal of techno parties. They're not nearly as prevelant in the clubs and parties around, but they are there.

Fukhouse or wabi for example, they throw down monthly gigs and those rake in the crowds. Blue still books some of the better known names for international techno right at system soundbar.

I doubt we'll see some of the bigger techno events anymore, but the smaller more specific sounds still draw the crowds. There was a techno night at a small club here in waterloo and it was packed to the teeth, even with a 10 dollar cover and expensive drinks (Mike Shannon, Adam Marshall, Chad Breen, Jay Hunsburger all threw down... amazing night). I think the reason for that is that hardcore and jungle are a little easier to differentiate from house that is common to the club crowd. People identify more with it because 'thats what they know' and stick to their roots.

Its still out there... you just have to know where to look for it

Last edited by Nubbie : April 7th, 2004 at 02:41 AM. Reason: I just like editing my posts
Nubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2004, 08:27 PM   #13
xdigitalxdreamx
Hullaboarder

Photos: 15  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 2 View Users Journal
Send a message via MSN to xdigitalxdreamx
he said prodigy was techno
*dies*

siouxsie
----+----what you want 2B! in this industry! use that NRG! hardcore chemistry!!-----+-----
xdigitalxdreamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2004, 03:35 PM   #14
Nubbie
Hullaboarder

Photos: 2  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to Nubbie Send a message via MSN to Nubbie
you're fired.
Nubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2004, 12:15 AM   #15
astralkid
Hullaboarder

no body listens to techno!!! no body listens to techno!!! no body listens to techno!!! no body listens to techno!!! no body listens to techno!!! no body listens to techno!!! no body listens to techno!!! no body listens to techno!!! no body listens to techno!!! no body listens to techno!!! no body listens to techno!!! no body listens to techno!!! no body listens to techno!!! no body listens to techno!!! no body listens to techno!!!

RIP, next trance
Old April 12th, 2004, 12:40 AM   #16
DirectDrive
Hullaboarder

DSP's march 2004 set is awesome.
Old April 15th, 2004, 12:58 AM   #17
astralkid
Hullaboarder

Berlin Looks Set to Pull Plug on Techno Love Parade
Wed Apr 14, 2:51 PM ET

Add Entertainment - Reuters Industry to My Yahoo!

By David Crossland

BERLIN (Reuters) - Berlin looks set to pull the plug on the Love Parade after organizers said on Wednesday they had failed to secure funding for the summer festival that used to attract over a million gyrating techno fans.

AFP/DDP/File Photo

The Parade, which became a symbol for Berlin's hipness during the 1990s, has waned in recent years, narrowly avoiding financial collapse and drawing smaller crowds as techno music has lost its trendsetting appeal and entered mainstream culture.

Its decline has coincided with a steady gentrification of the city. Gleaming modern buildings have been completed in its center and many of the eastern districts once fashionable for their dilapidation have been refurbished for yuppie families.

"It is with great regret that we have to announce there definitely won't be a Love Parade in Berlin this year," organizer Loveparade Berlin GmbH said in a statement.

Many of its usual sponsors had been hit by the economic downturn in recent years, and talks with the cash-strapped city had not produced a financing deal, with just three months to go before the festival was due to take place, it said.

Berlin's city-owned trade fair company backed the Love Parade in 2003 and made a loss of $615,900 as a result.

Some 750,000 ravers came to the Love Parade last July, half the 1.5 million the festival attracted at the height of its popularity in the late 1990s.

The Love Parade started making losses after it lost its status as a demonstration in 2001, which forced it to pay for a host of services which the city had provided free of charge before, such as blocking off roads and relocating bus stops.

A Berlin city spokesman held out hope of a reprieve, saying more talks were scheduled between the city's economy department and the organizers.

The Parade first took place in 1989, four months before the fall of the Berlin Wall when DJ "Dr Motte" staged what he called a "House Music Demonstration" in West Berlin for tolerance, respect and international understanding.

What started with one truck fitted with turntables and loudspeakers spiralled into an annual music event that drew techno fans from around Europe to crowd around up to 50 trucks that blared out deafening rhythms.

The Love Parade lives on elsewhere. It has been staged in Austria, Britain, Israel and South Africa. Mexico City held one in March and San Francisco and Tel Aviv plan Love Parades this year.
Old January 14th, 2005, 08:38 PM   #18
WesleyWes
Hullanewbie

Reply to "Techno Dead?"

Hello,

I bought a CD called Fired Up! Its got all tha jamz! I dig it! I never wanna live in a world where techno and all that is no more!

Peace!
WesleyWes
Founder, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Anti-Catholic

WesleyWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2005, 12:45 PM   #19
Weaver
Hullaboarder

Photos: 11  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 4 View Users Journal
Yeah i don't think moby or prodigy is techno... i don't really like moby anyways :P
Old January 18th, 2005, 02:50 AM   #20
mintjellie
Hullaboarder

Photos: 6  Users Photo Gallery
Quote:
Yeah i don't think moby or prodigy is techno... i don't really like moby anyways

moby is techno sometimes... songs like Machete for example, i would consider techno. his remix of orbital - speed freak as well, and quite a bit of his older stuff.
Old January 18th, 2005, 02:53 AM   #21
mintjellie
Hullaboarder

Photos: 6  Users Photo Gallery
Mobys best album though, Animal Rights, was a rock album. he did some acoustic singer/songwriter stuff, a sort of industrial-sounding cover of Joy Division - New Dawn Fades, a great punky cover Mission of Burma - Thats When I Reach For My Revolver, and so on. Its a good disc, worth downloading at least.
mintjellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2005, 01:16 PM   #22
dj mannik
Hullaboarder

Send a message via MSN to dj mannik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everybodies_Daddy
How can Prodigy produce new choons without the Ruff man?

It's a sin I tell you.

MCED

maybe its because RUff was never a fucking member of the Prodigy?!?!?!?!?!
dj mannik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2005, 02:34 PM   #23
anabolic frolic
Administrator

Photos: 125  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 5 View Users Journal
Ruff was their official tour MC back in the day.
anabolic frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2005, 02:43 PM   #24
anabolic frolic
Administrator

Photos: 125  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 5 View Users Journal
I just did a quick google search and found this;

http://kotta.abso.net/evolution.htm

It's a documentary about the Prodigy including interviews with MC Ruff. It was released in 1997.
anabolic frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2005, 06:13 PM   #25
Glyce
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 8 View Users Journal
Send a message via AIM to Glyce Send a message via MSN to Glyce
I don't think techno is as dead as a lot of people think it is. Basically, it was main stream for a while, and now it's not. Even in CO where the scene sucks, I still know of things that keep coming up. Not huge crowd attractors, but parties that plenty of the people in the vicinity like to go to.

Back in the day, as my brother tells me, parties came through here a lot more. Things like Candyland, and Sun, and Eclipse were much fun back in the day. Tons of people showed up for those, but now it's just some people. I think it's just because the rave scene (here at least) wasn't passed down to the next generation of possible ravers, so all the other ravers grew up and stopped. I'm making it my personal mission in school, along with some buddies to get some people to start coming to raves with us.

Lots of people will enjoy dancing to most kinds of music, as long as you get them to relax and get rid of their typical stereotypes. Techno is fun, going to raves is fun, more younger people just need to see that like they did before.

Anyway, new things keep coming, so it can't be dead.

P.S>>> for anyone in CO my friend Dj Cloudkicker is helping set up the 5th anniversary of Candyland for March 25th.

PEACE (V)
Glyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread